Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Cable repair  (Read 2642 times)

Swordmaster

• Trailer Queen
  • my '06 vtx 1300 c, i'm in the leather
Clutch Cable repair
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »

Anyone know of a place in the Houston, Texas area that can repair a broken clutch cable? preferrably some place open on a weekend. new in the area, don't know any places.  :banghead: :cuss:

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Re: Clutch Cable repair
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

Depending on where it is broken you might can repair it but your best bet is buy a new one think they are maybe $122 from the stealer.I just replaced mine did not break but was pretty wore out and it does not hurt to keep a spare handy
Alvin,Texas

Swordmaster

• Trailer Queen
  • my '06 vtx 1300 c, i'm in the leather
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »

yeah, it was broken right at the end, had a guy fix it, but we failed to thread it through the tension bolt first, now i need it cut and threaded through that bolt. i asked the guy if i needed to bring that to him, he said no, so i didn't. goddamn my luck. so it's a new cable, needs to be cut, threaded, and soldered again. but the shop i took it to the first time doesn't have any weekend hours, and i can't bend my own work hours anymore to get to this place during the week.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »

Clutch cable $12 bucks most Honda dealers, mine broke on me and I bought two, carry a spare everywhere now.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »

I agree with Larry (Gumbo)...when I bailed out Cyberhick when he broke a clutch cable, in order to replace mine, I ordered off the internet and it was $12 each so I got 2 so I have a spare in my bag....and they were delivered in 3 days to the house......I can't see repairing one cause it seems to break always on the end and thats where the most tension/torque/wear whatever you call it is...I encourage everyone to have a spare...the clutch is the last thing you need to go out if your far from home. So if your in the Brazoria County area, and in dire need of a clutch cable that fits a 1300, give me a ring.... Ride Safe :c
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:31:47 PM by KCAMERON007 »
KC     Kenny 
VTX-1300S

Ride hard, or stay home !!
(Peter Fonda, in "The Wild Hogs")

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »

Looks like Swordmaster has Apehangers so the 12 buck stock length won't work.  :redcard: :redcard:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »

:redcard:
Broken cables are a sign of a lack of maintenance.  :banghead:
Grease the pivot ends and lube the cable only once a year and they will not break when you least expect them to!  OEM cables will last for many years if taken care of. Breaking can result from a lack of grease on the ball end and comes from washing the bike and washing the grease out of that area of the lever.  If the lever is getting harder to pull than usual or you feel a "creeking" vibration when you pull the lever, it needs attention or it will break soon.  But chances are................ the pull will become harder so gradually you will not notice it before it breaks.  So periodic maintance is a must for cables.  When they break.......The ends can be silver soldered back on (I've done it for my friends that don't take care of their bikes) but it must be a meticulously clean solder job for it to hold.  Buy a new one.  Bikes with cables require maintenance periodically......there's no getting around that..............or you can just wait till they break when your riding somewhere like............Big Bend.  :ohwow:  
In all my years of riding and racing in the worst conditions you would ever ride a bike...............I never broke a cable.  I did replace a few cables just for preventative failure reasons prior to a race.  
If you carried a spare part for everything on your bike your suppose to maintane...............you'd have to pull a trailer!  :ohwow:
If you feel you need to carry a spare cable.............it's proably time to replace it because you have no faith in it.

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:23:52 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

DEMON

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »

after reading Mikey's post, it made me want to go maintain my clutch cable but my bike does not have one  ??? 

RedDragon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

All his years of racing!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:crazy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:crazy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »

:redcard:
Broken cables are a sign of a lack of maintenance.  :banghead:
If you ride and you do have a clutch cable it will break if you ride enough, the amount of grease you put on it has nothing to do with it.  ;)

Grease the pivot ends and lube the cable only once a year and they will not break when you least expect them to!  OEM cables will last for many years if taken care of. Breaking can result from a lack of grease on the ball end and comes from washing the bike and washing the grease out of that area of the lever.  If the lever is getting harder to pull than usual or you feel a "creeking" vibration when you pull the lever, it needs attention or it will break soon.  But chances are................ the pull will become harder so gradually you will not notice it before it breaks.  So periodic maintance is a must for cables.  When they break.......The ends can be silver soldered back on (I've done it for my friends that don't take care of their bikes) but it must be a meticulously clean solder job for it to hold.  Buy a new one.

Bikes with cables require maintenance periodically......there's no getting around that..............or you can just wait till they break when your riding somewhere like............Big Bend.  :ohwow:  

In all my years of riding and racing in the worst conditions you would ever ride a bike...............I never broke a cable.  I did replace a few cables just for preventative failure reasons prior to a race.  
If you carried a spare part for everything on your bike your suppose to maintane...............you'd have to pull a trailer!  :ohwow:
If you feel you need to carry a spare cable.............it's proably time to replace it because you have no faith in it.

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy

:popcorn:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »

While I do find your comments about my racing "career" funny (as I do when I look back upon those days)..............I also find it funny that the two individuals making those comments are the ones that seem to have problems keeping both wheels on the ground and the bike up right through a turn.   :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t   Yall might want to consider the use of training wheels as seen in the pics you posted.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Larry...............Maybe you can incorporate them into one of your "Tech Day" session.   :thumbup:

Racing (and years of riding the street) can teach you a lot of things..............one of which is to .............."NOT RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD".   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
For those that don't know what that means............it means "not to out ride your ability to control the bike".

Track days are great for "learning your limits".  David..............Larry............I'm ready to go when yall are.  :stickpoke: :stickpoke:
http://www.lstd.com/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:31:59 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

RedDragon

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »

While I do find your comments about my racing "career" funny (as I do when I look back upon those days)..............I also find it funny that the two individuals making those comments are the ones that seem to have problems keeping both wheels on the ground and the bike up right through a turn.   :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t   Yall might want to consider the use of training wheels as seen in the pics you posted.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Larry...............Maybe you can incorporate them into one of your "Tech Day" session.   :thumbup:

Racing (and years of riding the street) can teach you a lot of things..............one of which is to .............."NOT RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD".   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
For those that don't know what that means............it means "not to out ride your ability to control the bike".

Track days are great for "learning your limits".  David..............Larry............I'm ready to go when yall are.  :stickpoke: :stickpoke:
And in your illustrious career, you have never been off your bike either!

Riiiiight!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

You just silly

MsVTX1300

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »

You just silly

The button doesn't work!   :banghead: :popcorn:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[IMG]

Carol
2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
2006 VTX 1300 (The Lady)

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

There are some things even the internet won't show.  :hurl:
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal