Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Batteries  (Read 1064 times)

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
Dead Batteries
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Back in April, after installing my fairing & radio, the battery that came with my 1800 that I bought in 2012 finally quit. I figured 4 years on one battery was pretty good. I bought one from Advance Auto and it gave up after 4 months, on a 3 month warranty. I then purchased one from my Honda dealer. It lasted about 3-4 months so I took it back & got another one under warranty. Well, this one just quit on me. The only thing I can think of that all of this might have in common is the installation of my fairing & the radio. I used a 4 way trailer plug so I think I will unplug that, purchase another battery, & see what happens.
Can anyone else think of anything else that would cause a new battery not to hold a charge after 3-4 months?? The bike charges around 14.7 when off of idle.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Dead Batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »

most likely is exactly how you wired it.  The main power of the stereo needs to be wired to the acc cable so when you turn it off it shuts down all the power.  Then there is a memory cable this one can go directly to your battery.  This is the one that holds your stations and time.  I had wired my stereo to the battery directly and that is what was killing it.  This of course back when I had my VTX with a fairing and stereo.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »

Batteries Plus has a duracel that I use in the Harley and it has a 2 year warranty. Once you get your gremlins worked out I would recommend getting a better battery warranty just in case that's not it. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »

Direct line parts just had a sale on batteries. Don't know if is still going on. directlineparts.com might not be on their website as I get the info on an e mail blast. Call them.
It's all just part of the adventure!

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »

most likely is exactly how you wired it.  The main power of the stereo needs to be wired to the acc cable so when you turn it off it shuts down all the power.  Then there is a memory cable this one can go directly to your battery.  This is the one that holds your stations and time.  I had wired my stereo to the battery directly and that is what was killing it.  This of course back when I had my VTX with a fairing and stereo.

I have an aux fuse box that has key on power & hot all the time terminals. I have both running to the fairing but I did hook the stereo straight up to the battery so I could listen to it even with the key off. May have to redo that.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »

Batteries Plus has a duracel that I use in the Harley and it has a 2 year warranty. Once you get your gremlins worked out I would recommend getting a better battery warranty just in case that's not it. 

I paid for the extended warranty from my Honda dealer but, when I exchanged the 1st one, the parts supervisor told me that they usually don't have problems with those batteries and, if something should happen to the 2nd one, there was probably some wrong with my bike. Just seems funny that I didn't start having this problem until I put the stereo in. It's also kinda hard to understand how a stereo could cause a battery not to hold a charge, even after being on a battery tender for 2 days.
I worked as a mechanic for 26 years and never saw something like this. 

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal