Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: R.A.T. Ride recap  (Read 26139 times)

Dusty

Re: R.A.T. Ride recap
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 06:06:45 AM »

You guys are most welcome at my dust bowl anytime. Every second of it was a blast.  ;D

Stormy

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels,Tx.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 06:48:24 AM »

Welcome back home. Ready for another ride any time soon.

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 09:33:43 AM »

;)sure glad you guy's had a good time, tom kept us posted on your progress, know ya'll must have a bunch of good stories, hope to hear a few at antonios this week.

Well, I'll try but you know me, I'm not really that long winded, hope RD will be there, that way I won't have to say anything!!

:o ??? >:( :P
:-[ :-[ Didn't mean anything negative, just know that RD (General) has a much better gift/ability to put long sentences and words together to convey a meaningful thought. :-[ ::) :(
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »

You guys don't know what you missed by not being at Bill's house on Saturday night.  I never saw grown men laugh so hard in a long time....I had a blast.  Thanks again Bill.

Dusty

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »

You guys don't know what you missed by not being at Bill's house on Saturday night.  I never saw grown men laugh so hard in a long time....I had a blast.  Thanks again Bill.

I laughed till I hurt Tom. Like I said, it was my pleasure. I will say this about a certain hairy face fellow. Lake Belton was my first time to meet him and with all the whiskers it was hard to read him. After Sat. night I can attest to him being one funny MF. 

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »

jmdaniel the saying at the bottom of your post is one of my favorite, i have it under a pictue of 4 chocolate lab pups.
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »

jmdaniel the saying at the bottom of your post is one of my favorite, i have it under a pictue of 4 chocolate lab pups.

Glad you enjoyed it....

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »

I know everyone would like to hear about all the fun and excitement we had on the R.A.T. Ride. I'll try and make an attempt at telling the story. Quite frankly, there's a lot to tell, and it's pretty time consuming to type it all out. The best way, I guess is try to do it in "Chapter form". This way I can do 1 day at a time.

Day 1: Saturday

We decided on a meeting place that centrally located, and on the way, so we came up with Buckee's on I-10 in Luling. We met 2 other rider's, 1 from Conroe, and the other from theUK. They were just completing a trip to Mexico. The rider from the UK had a real rough looking Suzuki GS650. He told us that he had ridden all over the world, and that he usually flys to the country or region that he's going to ride in, and buys a motorcyle that is common to the area. That way it's easier to find parts, and people to work on them.
We left Luling, and headed to Gonzalez, where we stopped and looked at the Mission. It's part of the TX Parks Dept. We had a quick lunch at a Whataburger in Beeville, and met another X Rider, Leo, from the Houston area. We told him about the great M & G's in the Houston area, and told him about the board. Hopefully he'll contact some of you in the Houston area.
We rode on th the Port Aransas ferry, and took the short ride to Mustang Island. Tip: When taking this ferry, you can ride up the shoulder to the front of the line. They usually have room at the back of the ferry, and fill that area up with motorcyles. This will save you time, and at the back, you won't get wet.
We rode the length of Mustang Island, and crossed into Corpus via the JFK Causeway. After getting on Hwy 77 at Bishop, we rode south to Brownsville. We wanted to go to So. Padre, but it was going to get dark, so we opted to go there in the morning. We had reservations at the Super 8 in Brownsville and passed  one on the way, but it was so far out of town, it couldn't have been the right one. We rode on for about 6 miles, and no Super 8, so we pulled off to fill up and call. It was the right one! On the way back.....we got the flat tire fear out of the way. Jerry must have picked up a nail. Remember my "product of the Month"? Even though it was "headlights on" dark, we located the hole, plugged it, filled the tire with air, and rode to the nearest gas station to top the air off, and check the plug. All was well so we headed over to the Super 8, just a block away. By this time it was around 8pm, and we were tired and ready to stop. We were unpacking the bikes and met a man and his wife from Michigan, Wisconson...? one of those states, who rode down on a Road King w/a trailer. They had a nice setup, and real nice people. There was a resturanr next door, so after a good meal, we turned in.

RD
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 10:06:38 PM »

:)  See how good your are!!   I guess we shouldn't elaborate on the raccoon tail or the pantie drawer. Right? It was one of those "had to be there to understand", right?

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

ghostrider

• Tejano
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 08:02:16 AM »

Is it possible to get a copy of the ride routes that were taken?

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 10:22:34 AM »

I can email them to you when I get home, If you have Microsoft streets and trips..I tried putting them on the board before, but I think the software is needed.  RD's primary post on the old board was accurate.

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 11:41:20 AM »

Day 2: Sunday

We'd decided, that to be able to get the most riding in daylight, we'd have to get up early. The rooster crowed at 6am. :o We got our this packed, had a "complimentary breakfast", and hit the road. We headed to So. Padre Island, and drove up the main drag, then went to the beach. We took a couple of pictures, some on the beach, and 1 in front of the water tower to prove we'd been there. After going over the causeway, we stopped at the Port Isabel Lighthouse for another photo opportunity.
 Back on the rode we headed toward Hwy77/83, then through Harlingen, and across Hwy83 to McAllen. We stopped in Mercedes around 11am for lunch at a Denny's. We ate early to avoid the "after-church" diner's. After passing McAllen, and Mission, the road funneled down to more of a country highway. We passed through several small towns, and after Roma, we stopped for gas at a store in the middle of nowhere. The weather had been great so far, too great, after stopping we could really feel that South Texas sun, and scrambled for some shade. We met the owners of the place, a man in his late 70's and a woman pushing the same. What a couple! The place was for sale, and they were just waiting for any "warm body" to come by. She said she'd sold it twice in the last 2 years, but, for one reason or another the new owner's couldn't make a go of it, and it came back to them. (They'd held the note) She latched on the Jerry, and was leading him all around the place, thinking for sure he'd buy the place. All the time complaining about how she wished she wasn't married to that "old man", cause she was afraid he was going to die on her. (I just think she was hitting on Jerry! What a woman: she could talk about 4 topic's at once, was very active, great personality, but, I was kinda scared of what she might look like if she took her wig off! :o) All this time, the "old man" was complaining to Wayne that he wished HE'D never married her, and wanted to get in his truck and leave. What a great relationship! After I got a pair of plier's, and pried her fingernails out of Jerry, we got back on the road.
We arrived in Larado around 4pm, and met our 1st traffic congestion. We were in stop light traffic, for about 20 min. going through town. At one stoplight, Wayne noticed A Bank sign, and it was 108* :o. Not too big a deal...if you aren't leathered up! We stopped at a truck stop, gassed up, dis-robed, and drank alot of fluid's.
We turned off I35/Hwy83, on to Hwy83 headed toward Carrizo Springs. We noticed several homes having large Easter parties, and 1 big party being held under a large lean-to. Kind of a strange looking Easter party. 15-20 men standing around the outside perimeter of the lean-to, which had chickenwire around it. And, there were cages with chickens in them, and other chickens staked out around the open lot. Sure hope nothing illegal was going on. ???
We rode on to Carrizo Springs, then Eagle Pass. It was about 45min to sundown, so we decided to push on to Del Rio. We made Del Rio before sunset, and checked into the Motel 6. Had supper at a Chinese Buffet within walking distance, and called it a day.
04' Honda VTX 1800C

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »

RD, thanks for the narrative of the day.  It sounds like it was a great ride.  I see you got up at 6 and by noon you were still in the Valley.  There is a lot of real estate to ride down there.  I'm looking forward to reading about day 3.  BTW, the new board is great overall.  I see I converted from "Tejano" to "noob".   ???
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 07:53:15 PM »

keep em comimng RD, when is the whole book going to be available. ;)
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 07:58:55 PM »

keep em comimng RD, when is the whole book going to be available. ;)

Consider this like a bed-time story. Something for you to look forward too. ;)
04' Honda VTX 1800C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal