Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Galveston Lone Star Rally  (Read 2150 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
2013 Galveston Lone Star Rally
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

So I have my plan for the Rally.  My brother and I are going to ride Saturday and we will be taking the long way.  As I don't/haven't really done any long rides this one is pretty substantial at around 120 miles (quit laughing).  I just wanted to know if there is anything I should know specifically about this route like bad roads, construction, etc.  As well, if anyone lives along the way and wants to volunteer up a phone number in case we have a problem we can't fix....that would be cool too.

Here is the route:

FM242 Through New Caney to 2100
2100 to FM1960 East of Lake Houston
FM1960 to Dayton then 146 South
146 through Baytown (over the Fred Hartman Bridge - Always wanted to go over that one)
Keep 146 to I-45 in Galveston. 

We wanted to take the scenic route and stay off I-45 (especially through Houston) and this is the effort of about 30 minutes on Google Maps. We don't mind adding a few miles but want to make sure and take the roads that are less traveled for the most part. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: 2013 Galveston Lone Star Rally
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »

if you want to go on the east side, go down through Anahuac to 124 to High Island ride the Bolivar pennisula and take the Ferry to Galveston. Better than all that traffic down146 which is better than 45 unless you want to get there fast.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »

if you want to go on the east side, go down through Anahuac to 124 to High Island ride the Bolivar pennisula and take the Ferry to Galveston. Better than all that traffic down146 which is better than 45 unless you want to get there fast.

+1 on that ^, but FH bridge is cool too. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Rerouted to 124, much more rural and adds a bit of riding on to the trip which is a good thing.  My brother and I have never done this together before despite both of us having biikes off and on so it's going to be a real treat.  As well, might come back 146 to hit the bridge....we'll discuss on Sunday before the trip back. 

So, now that is settled....where is TexasXRiders setting up camp on Saturday? 

I need suggestions on what to do when I get there.  I don't want to be on my bike in stop-and-go traffic, I would like to park somewhere and walk around checking stuff out.  Is there a good place to do that or should I just park and the hotel and get a cab/trolley/rickshaw?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »

Moving around on the island on a bike is pretty easy and not too bad.  They have areas closed specifically to bike traffic only.  The Seawall will have many vendors up and down the street with most conveening near 25th st & the Seawall, or so it has been the prior years.  Also the Strand is another place where all the vendors have booths setup too.  again, on bike most of the roads are accessible and traffic is more 'go' than 'stop'. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »

Rerouted to 124, much more rural and adds a bit of riding on to the trip which is a good thing.  My brother and I have never done this together before despite both of us having biikes off and on so it's going to be a real treat.  As well, might come back 146 to hit the bridge....we'll discuss on Sunday before the trip back. 

I need suggestions on what to do when I get there.  I don't want to be on my bike in stop-and-go traffic, I would like to park somewhere and walk around checking stuff out.  Is there a good place to do that or should I just park and the hotel and get a cab/trolley/rickshaw?

going over the ferry will take you at least 3 Hrs get ready for a long wait, is not just come and jump on ferry.  :thumbup:
just take it slow

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:44:32 PM »

going over the ferry will take you at least 3 Hrs get ready for a long wait, is not just come and jump on ferry.  :thumbup:

We use to jump to the front of the line if you were on a bike. Did they take that away?
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

going from Galveston to Boliver can be a wait but never had a problem going to Galveston from Boliver.
It's all just part of the adventure!

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »

The Friday night MnG is about the only "official" gathering we do.  All other times, everyone usually just shows up whenever, and then some of us will text each other and try to meet up to go people watchin'/shopping.  Of course, there are those who are staying down there the whole weekend, so you could tag up with them somehow.  I'm not sure if I'll make it down other than the MnG, and that is still up in the air, too.

Your route is a good one.  The FH bridge is cool, especially at night with it lit up (return route).  146 isn't too bad once you get past the Clearlake area (NASA Rd 1), and where it meets up with 45 for the rest of the ride down usually isn't bad either.  Just watch out for the law...they're everywhere down there.

As far as parking goes, most of us just park wherever you can find the space.  Obviously the earlier you get there, the better the parking will be for the most part.  You can also pay the fee (can't remember if it's $10 or more) to get a sticker to ride down the Strand as much as you want (and park if you're lucky), so you've got some choices there.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

The Friday night MnG is about the only "official" gathering we do.  All other times, everyone usually just shows up whenever, and then some of us will text each other and try to meet up to go people watchin'/shopping.  Of course, there are those who are staying down there the whole weekend, so you could tag up with them somehow.  I'm not sure if I'll make it down other than the MnG, and that is still up in the air, too.

Your route is a good one.  The FH bridge is cool, especially at night with it lit up (return route).  146 isn't too bad once you get past the Clearlake area (NASA Rd 1), and where it meets up with 45 for the rest of the ride down usually isn't bad either.  Just watch out for the law...they're everywhere down there.

As far as parking goes, most of us just park wherever you can find the space.  Obviously the earlier you get there, the better the parking will be for the most part.  You can also pay the fee (can't remember if it's $10 or more) to get a sticker to ride down the Strand as much as you want (and park if you're lucky), so you've got some choices there.

Thanks for that info.  For anyone who is going to be there, my number is 281-475-9877 and I usually have my phone on the dash/mount so I see the texts.  I don't know what we are doing but I do have another friend with a group of people going as well, I don't know where they are going to be yet but knowing them it will have more lights and music and any other place. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »

You better come down you Old Goat!!! :stickpoke:
Hit me up when you are heading down. Michelle and I would love to hook up with you and hang out and watch all the Crazys. LOL!
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

mrjones

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

I'll be down there along with my brother.  We'll see you Friday night at the Spot, and we'll come down probably 3 more times.  I usually ride down Fri morning with a group from work for lunch, and then come back for the Spot thing.  On Saturday we normally hang out near the upper end of the strand by the checkpoint for the stickers.  That's a fun spot and a bit out of the heavy traffic.  We set up there with our lawn chairs and coolers and watch the show.

Funny incident last year:  We were setting there watching the show on Saturday.  Neither of us wear traditional biker gear.  It was shorts and a Hawaiian shirt last year because it was very warm.  Biker woman came by and said "Doesn't that look fun?  You guys should get bikes and join in!"  I laughed and said that my bike was parked right there with the cooler strapped on it.  I just didn't have my costume on!

( I know I should be ATTGAT, but I don't always)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal