Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thinking about Boern or Galveston this weekend (May 24)  (Read 3223 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Thinking about Boern or Galveston this weekend (May 24)
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »

So, I want to put a few miles on the new bike (yes I am bringing tools) and was thinking heading to Boern or Galveston.  Since the last time I went to Galveston it was the Lone Star Rally I would really like to go again and ride around a bit instead of hoofing it the whole time.  Maybe hit the strand for lunch and a beer and then ride back.  The problem is, I have only been on a bike once and other than the seawall I have no idea where would be a good place to ride.  Getting there I am open to East or West of I45 (already been 146 way) and can google a few routes, add them to my maps and then NOT be able to pull them on my phone....(Android issue) but can remember mostly and probably get there with little issue.  Even thinking West of I45 in route to Freeport then ride the Gulf to Galveston. 

Or, the 500+ mile ride to Boern for the Hill Country Bike Festival....vendors, crowds.....really just want to ride and not be at a rally. 

So, who's in? 

:c
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Thinking about Boern or Galveston this weekend (May 24)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »

I would chose going West. 

Not sure where you are coming from but I live in Katy and start right on I-10 and start making my way West. 

Ride all the way to Seguin and get on 46 and continue on 46 all the way to Boerne.  Be sure to heed the speed limit signs.  Those small town LEO's are always looking for some action. 

In Columbus off of I-10 on your way stop at Schoebels Family Restaurant for breakfast.  It's been a tradition of my wife and I to always stop there for either breakfast, lunch, dinner or even just a slice of their chocolate pie. 

When going thru New Braunfels you will be real close to Gruene, TX and you can even stop at the HD shop there.  It's a pretty cool building that looks like a airplane hanger. 

Alternatively if you want to spend more time riding keep on going from north of Boerne onto Sisterdale Rd and ride up to Luckenbach, TX.  Lots more to do and see in the Hill Country, but you got just get past the Superslab to get there. 

Don't know much about Galveston and don't care much for it other than during the Lone Star Rally.  The Sunflower bakery and cafe on 14th and Post Office has good breakfast.  That's all I can say. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »

I would chose going West. 

Not sure where you are coming from but I live in Katy and start right on I-10 and start making my way West. 

Ride all the way to Seguin and get on 46 and continue on 46 all the way to Boerne.  Be sure to heed the speed limit signs.  Those small town LEO's are always looking for some action. 

In Columbus off of I-10 on your way stop at Schoebels Family Restaurant for breakfast.  It's been a tradition of my wife and I to always stop there for either breakfast, lunch, dinner or even just a slice of their chocolate pie. 

When going thru New Braunfels you will be real close to Gruene, TX and you can even stop at the HD shop there.  It's a pretty cool building that looks like a airplane hanger. 

Alternatively if you want to spend more time riding keep on going from north of Boerne onto Sisterdale Rd and ride up to Luckenbach, TX.  Lots more to do and see in the Hill Country, but you got just get past the Superslab to get there. 

Don't know much about Galveston and don't care much for it other than during the Lone Star Rally.  The Sunflower bakery and cafe on 14th and Post Office has good breakfast.  That's all I can say. 

Oh, and I am seeing if anyone wants to go.  :)

I am starting in the Woodlands so I have a way different way to get to Boerne, the East/West question was more specifically about Galveston. 

Going to Boerne I would go through Hempstead, Brenham, Giddings, Bastrop, etc.  If I am not mistaken but 290 is pretty rural out in that area, if not I would readjust my route along the way and find a more scenic route. 

I am having trouble finding willing people to go on this ride so I might just explore more of the National Forest.  Would be nice to have 2 or 3 bikes hit the hill country though.  Not a lot of people in for 500+ miles in a day. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »

I always ride out to the hill country on day rides.  I would join you but I have some chores to do on Saturday before I have my fun on Sunday & Monday, which might be nothing actually.   ;D
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »

I always ride out to the hill country on day rides.  I would join you but I have some chores to do on Saturday before I have my fun on Sunday & Monday, which might be nothing actually.   ;D

I have my route now and set it up so I can program it into Google Maps easy.  Can't figure out how to make a map or save a route on Google.

Spring
Bellville
LaGrange
Smithville
Bastrop
San Marcos
Boerne

Makes a nice rural ride through some pretty ok towns. 

Sorry you can't make it.   :c :t
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:26 AM »

Good plan, you could pickup the Devil's backbone out of San Marcos. Wouldn't, take you to Boerne but you could stop by Albert Tx, on the way to luckenbach . Not as touristy . Neat little place to stop.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

Good plan, you could pickup the Devil's backbone out of San Marcos. Wouldn't, take you to Boerne but you could stop by Albert Tx, on the way to luckenbach . Not as touristy . Neat little place to stop.

Boerne has something going on this weekend, Hill Country Bike Week or something like that.  I want to check that out but will make a note.
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »

That's some good riding...I went to college in San Marcos.  I've been trying to get back there ..
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »

Stayed a few nights in Boerne a few weeks ago, motel 6 has nice rooms for a decent price and its a great little town. There is a mexican restaurant next to the motel 6 that has a great breakfast. Only trouble is it's about 450 miles from here....

SSSSsssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »

If I find a riding partner I think I found a route.  I am skipping Boerne and hitting the Devils Backbone.  It's shaves off a hundred or so miles so should be a little easier to do in one day.  It will take ALL day still but I shouldn't be riding home in the dark...I hate that. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

I like riding during a full moon...but I hate the deer.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »

I would stay away from Gavelston this weekend it's a holiday even though they forget the reason but any excuse to get drunk.
Alvin,Texas

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »

http://goo.gl/maps/ajQnR

If you make it to Boerne this weekend, I will meet you out there.  I get off work at 3pm and was planning on heading out!  Let me know.

Drew
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »

If you make it to Boerne this weekend, I will meet you out there.  I get off work at 3pm and was planning on heading out!  Let me know.

Drew

Which day?  I was going to go up and back on Saturday.  Text me your number bro!!  I am off Friday at 3:00 but couldn't possibly get moving until 5 or so.  If there is any place to stay up there I am not opposed to showing up on Friday but definitely don't want to try and ride half the way in the dark. 

281-475-9877
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:06:57 PM by Rocket67 »
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »

If you make it to Boerne this weekend, I will meet you out there.  I get off work at 3pm and was planning on heading out!  Let me know.

Drew

Which day?  I was going to go up and back on Saturday.  Text me your number bro!!  I am off Friday at 3:00 but couldn't possibly get moving until 5 or so.  If there is any place to stay up there I am not opposed to showing up on Friday but definitely don't want to try and ride half the way in the dark. 

281-475-9877

Friday I am working till 11pm.  Saturday I work from 7am to 3pm.  I will send you a text and we can meet up!
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal