Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just puting this out there!  (Read 2125 times)

jchammer123

• Tejano
Just puting this out there!
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »

To the people in and around the Houston area,

Well, I figured it couldn't hurt to post this on this site.

I know that most of you don't know me yet, and I'm hoping to change that in the near future.  Everyone here has been a tremendous help so far, so I thought I would ask for some help.

I'm looking for a job.  We started a family business 2 years ago and due to things being slow, I'm making the choice to leave the business in order to allow the business to stay afloat.  I have a history in sales, but am looking to get back into working with my hands.  I would love to work with motorcycles, (as I'm sure many of us would,  :bikerider:), or learn some type of metal work and fabrication.  But, I need to find something soon so I'm not limiting my options or being too picky. 

I am a very hard worker and am very dependable!  If anybody here is hiring or knows of someone who is, I would strongly appreciate any info you have.  I have a resume in which I can send out if requested.

Being that I don't know most of you yet, I'm not expecting anyone to give recommendations or anything like that.  I would really just love an interview and opportunity to prove myself!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!!
Your bike is like your a**, you can wipe it as much as you want, but if you want it clean you gotta use soap and water!!!
(Taken from a member on another board)

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Just puting this out there!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »

Best of luck to you in your search, THEY say things are improving but I don't see it that way.
Any computer related work back ground?? Or oil work??
Would you be willing to travel for extended periods of time?

\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

jchammer123

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

It sure is tough right now.  I can see where things are improving, but definitely not for small business.  

I don't have any computer background as far as repair work.  I have worked with computers and have basic knowledge of operating systems and certain software functions, but would be eager and willing to learn.  As far as oil, I have not worked in oil and gas, but that's not to say I wouldn't be willing to.  I would definitely be willing to to travel, I don't have any restrictions holding me back from traveling.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:52:10 PM by jchammer123 »
Your bike is like your a**, you can wipe it as much as you want, but if you want it clean you gotta use soap and water!!!

dougvtx

• Tejano
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »

If you are really in need of a job, Texas is always hiring prison guards.  Just a thought. I see signs all around the Huntsville area for guards. Check out TDCJ sites and look it up.

When I can't hold up 2 wheels anymore, I'll get a three wheeler.

VTX-Dan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »

If you are really in need of a job, Texas is always hiring prison guards.  Just a thought. I see signs all around the Huntsville area for guards. Check out TDCJ sites and look it up.

It's true.  There is a guard shortage system wide.
TDCJ doesn't pay a ton, but the benefits are really good. 

I don't know what area you live in, but there are 4 prisons in the Sugar Land/Richmond area and another 4 in Rosharon.
All of the units in Sugar Land are pretty laid back, although one is a psych unit.
3 of the 4 in Rosharon are fairly quiet units.  Darrington (the 4th one) has some real knuckleheads.  If you like to fight, that's the place to work.
2005 VTX 1300C

jchammer123

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »

I don't know, I may have to consider it.  Sounds like it could be interesting, but I don't know if that's a good interesting, lol.

dougvtx

• Tejano
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »

A friend of mine, who has little patience, did it for a while until he could draw Social Security.  Now, for what it's worth, he said that there is always a shortage, with that, there is always overtime. The money is so,so somewhere around $17 an hour (no one would tell me for sure). So he says. Yet, you get good bennies. You have to train for a few weeks. There are lots of prisons in the Huntsville, Livingston and Cleveland area.  I'd say somewhere around 9. Like mentioned above, there are some in your area. It's worth it if it's the only job you can get until you find something you really want.  It might be shift work, usually 12 hours. When you are off during weekdays, you can look for another job.  You always find a better job when you got one.  ;D  I don't know of anyone in the oil field business, but I hear they are hiring.  Now, that's usually time away from home.  If you can find a contact, they may point you in the right direction.

Just trying to offer up a little help.  Hopefully, something is out there for you.

When I can't hold up 2 wheels anymore, I'll get a three wheeler.

VTX-Dan

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »

I don't have any contacts, but I know there are oilfield jobs to be had in the valley.  I have lost a couple of drivers at our Beeville location to the oil/gas industry.
2005 VTX 1300C

jchammer123

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:54:27 AM »

Doug and Dan, you're absolutely right about jobs being easier to find when you have one.  One of my main concerns right now is the money because of a situation we are in.  I'm also trying to take this as an opportunity to switch from what I've been doing.  Several people have mentioned the oil and gas industry.  I have family that work in the oil and gas, but more in the financial desk job areas of it.  Since it's such a large industry, it's tough for them to get me in.  I think the oil and gas industry is what I'm aiming for, so we'll see what happens.  I'm also keeping all options open.

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »

If you are willing a able to work in the field. I know that there are many oil field services companies looking for people.  My wife is an HR manager for Baker Hughes and she says that there are a number of jobs on their website.  Ping me back if you have trouble finding the listings.

'02 1800C

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal