Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper break in time  (Read 2958 times)

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
Proper break in time
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »

How many miles is the reccomended break in time?  Is it the same as a car where you vary your speed, no WOT, or fast starts?
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

Arch

• Old Timer
  • Tomball, TX
Re: Proper break in time
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »

I took it easy the first couple of hundred miles, varied the speeds for the next couple hundred and never looked back from there.

Ed
We will remain the same until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »

drive it like you stole it, if it breaks, it was weak to start with.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

Swampfox

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »

The only break-in you need is the path which your tires cut into the road and may they keep you in the groove. 8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:59:19 PM by Swampfox »

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »

A very controversial subject. IMO the most important thing to do is vary your speeds for the first 100-200 miles; don't cruise at a steady speed for extended periods. No WOT starts. You don't have to (or necessarily want to) baby it, but you don't want to flog it or lug it (lugging is another controversial term--for some fifth gear at anything under 80 is lugging it, but for the purposes of this response lugging will be considered operating at a low enough speed for the load that the engine will not run smoothly).
02 1800C

BrunoK

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »

Wear in time for the clutch and brakes is up to 250 miles

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 02:21:45 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  It is hard not to want to drive the living hell out of something this bad a$$.  If I can keep something from breaking by taking it semi-easy for 250 miles, I think I will do that, and then run it hard.  I guess lugging it would be like 4th gear at 20mph also right?
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 02:31:34 PM »

A very controversial subject. IMO the most important thing to do is vary your speeds for the first 100-200 miles; don't cruise at a steady speed for extended periods. No WOT starts. You don't have to (or necessarily want to) baby it, but you don't want to flog it or lug it (lugging is another controversial term--for some fifth gear at anything under 80 is lugging it, but for the purposes of this response lugging will be considered operating at a low enough speed for the load that the engine will not run smoothly).

And all this time I thought lugging it was picking it up and carrying it. Never understood why anyone would want to do that.  ??? ::)

Tapper

• Jakeleg
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:50:04 PM »

Don't baby it.  Get your rpms up, ride the bike, maintainit well.  Bike is mostly broken in by time it comes out of factory, but it will benefit from some exercise :)
Yeah, that Tapper.

Swampfox

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »

The King has spoken.

DAR-Silver Surfer

• Old Timer
  • 1300R - Spring, Tx.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »

PepsX , Trapper, and Swampfox are right.  With the new metal technology you no longer have to be as careful about engine brake in.  But I'm old school and remember when you had to brake an engine in properly.  I still do it and very the RPM's for the first 600 miles on any new vehical I get.  It can't hurt and it might just do some good.
Now known as - The Silver Surfer

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal