Tech Talk > Tech Articles and Links

Bedding Brakes

(1/2) > >>

Tinman:
I saw this on the big board found it kinda useful, hopefully you guys can use it also.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

When I first put mine on I had already bled the system and put new fluid in the clutch and brakes front and rear. Found the brakes to be a little "soft".
Did this today and now the brakes feel a lot more sensitive.

Dusty:
That's pretty interesting. The only part that concerns me is getting the rotor so hot that it turns blue. Guess they wouldn't warp unless they were to cool too fast?

Something else that makes a huge difference, is fresh brake fluid, and making sure the system is flushed completely. Randy told me about Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 brake fluid. I only found it at Advanced Auto. It's clear unlike some of the other which have a slight yellow or orange color to begin with. This makes it a lot easier to tell when the system is flushed completely. With all the humidity in this area, the brake fluid gets moister in it faster than you realize and doesn't work anymore. I was pleasantly surprised because I had changed my pads with no improvement. Changed the fluid and dang near threw myself over the windshield.  :thumbup:

hooter:
Maybe I need a fluid change cause even though I've changed pads the brakes on my 18 have never been that good. Always kinda wondered why Honda would build something that went this fast and put Fred Flintstone brakes on it.

Wild Bill05:
Ok, have the 1800. Changed pads. Squeaks when above 15 mph. Even at high speed,you could hear it. Went back to OEM, same thing. Everybody says change fluid. I finally did and braking power 3X better. But still have that  :cuss: squeak!  But, for all arguments fluid change helped. Even on clutch.

matap:
I've always kinda had a squeak and I've changed my brake pads once already and have changed fluid as well.  I don't know where I've read but that the 1800's are prone to the brake squeak b/c of the size and mass of stopping it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version