Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Went to the darkside today  (Read 1927 times)

big oz

• Old Timer
  • Alvarado, Texas
Went to the darkside today
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »

Well, after only getting 9000 miles out of my second metzler 880, I finally did it. I installed a Goodyear Eagle GT today. Had to take it back off to do some modifing work on the hidden hitch, but after that, fits great. Going to take it for a test ride tomorrow. Had a big oops in the process. Bike fell off the jack onto Flamen's bike taking a big chunk out of the paint on the back fender and scratching it in a few other places. It also hit the turns signal and hit the paint behind it. Then, a air ratchet, fell off the table and hit the front fender knocking a chunk of paint out there.....turned out to not be a good day....in the doghouse now....

2006 VTX 1800n, MS fats 21" solar shield, Leatherlyke Cross Country Bags, custom hitch, Darkside 205/60/16 Goodyear Eagle GT

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Went to the darkside today
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:50:06 AM »

....in the doghouse now....

I'm surprized your still among the living right now~~  :ohwow: :ohwow:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »

Glad you finally came over  :thumbup: .... sux about mommas bike tho.  :popcorn:

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »

OMG...I am so sorry to hear about Flamin's bike getting bunged up.  What about yours?  It has to have some battle wounds too.  Hope your new back tire is worth it, lol.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »

I know you are bummed but I gotta say - that is a funny story.  Sounds like something that would be on TV or Youboob at least!! :rofl:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »

Well, after only getting 9000 miles out of my second metzler 880, I finally did it. I installed a Goodyear Eagle GT today. Had to take it back off to do some modifing work on the hidden hitch, but after that, fits great. Going to take it for a test ride tomorrow. Had a big oops in the process. Bike fell off the jack onto Flamen's bike taking a big chunk out of the paint on the back fender and scratching it in a few other places. It also hit the turns signal and hit the paint behind it. Then, a air ratchet, fell off the table and hit the front fender knocking a chunk of paint out there.....turned out to not be a good day....in the doghouse now....

Hey big oz,

Sorry to hear about the problems on the other bike, I have been on the darkside for about 28,000 miles (Same Tire) just wondering why you would use the GY Eagle GT?

It does not have a symetrical tread pattern (Could result in problems down the road with handling) most Darksiders use the GY Triple Tread because it is the same tread pattern on both sides to aid in handling.

Let us know what was up on your decision to use that tire and if you have seen any problems in the turns both right and left.

Kind Regards

:couch:

AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

wpxrider

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »

I know you are bummed but I gotta say - that is a funny story.  Sounds like something that would be on TV or Youboob at least!! :rofl:

Or in my garage every time I work on anything. :cuss:

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »

Oh man that sucks.  Right now i'm in the process of getting my bike fixed after someone backed into it, but damn, all that damage on flamin's bike.   :cuss: .  Oh, I noticed you said hidden hitch.  where did you get that?
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

big oz

• Old Timer
  • Alvarado, Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

used the eagle gt because I got if from my brother, trying to figure out if it would work with my hitch or if i had to go to a smaller tire. was able to make mods to my hitch and get it to work. Now, I will purchase a tire. Not sure about Michlein Hydroedge or Goodyear runflat like my dads running. Matap, my dad and I made the hitch. Have 30 hours in that build getting it right. Works great. I pull a bunkhouse camper without any problems.

2006 VTX 1800n, MS fats 21" solar shield, Leatherlyke Cross Country Bags, custom hitch, Darkside 205/60/16 Goodyear Eagle GT

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »

I'm wildly curious about the directional tire.... Let us know how it goes.  I've been DS for a couple years, no problems at all.
My now long gone VTX...

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

DO NOT GO RUNFLAT. Without a monnitoring system you could get a flat and never know until it gets so hot it explodes under you. I have a Yokohama Avid on mine now. I can't really remember what a mt feels like (been a couple years and thiry some thousand miles, plus my old brain ain't what it used to be), but I like this tire better.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal