Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Bike Night", Deer Friends,  (Read 2565 times)

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
"Bike Night", Deer Friends,
« on: June 16, 2006, 05:37:22 AM »

No, this is not a salutation to a letter.  On the way home from Austin Thursday night I made it back into Blanco. Just as I entered the city limits and had slowed to about 50, here he came  :o.  A deer came sprinting across the highway from the left.  There were a couple of street lights so I saw him plain as day, but he was already 1/2 way across 4 lanes.  He is running right at me from the side.  There's gonna be a collision and the paper is gonna read deer runs into mc  :-X. How do you guess whether he's going to get across in front of you, run into you, or go by after you've passed  :-\?  Well, I almost lost that big burger from Appleby's, but I made it by first.  How that happened I'll never know.  First instinct was to hit brakes, I was already in outside lane so there was no moving over.  What do you do? Get a grip and hang on, hope for the best.  No moral to this story, just pay attention to what you're doing out there when you are riding and above all, BE SAFE!

Dusty

Re: "Bike Night", Deer Friends,
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

I'm glad ya'lls paths just crossed and didn't collide.  O0 I worry about you guys on bike nights.

The few times I rode at night while I was out there, I was amazed by the numbers of deer and their ability to appear out of nowhere.
There was one that decided to run parallel with the road just ahead of me. Needless to say, I stopped until it made up it's mind where it wanted to go.

Bill

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »

That would have been a BIG loss on that Applebee burger!!  Do those deer whistles work? Might be needed for Colorado, they grow'em big out there. Glad you're riding safe.
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »

those deer whistles really work!! yea right, i think they call them to the road to see what the hell it is ;D ;), tom, also had one almost run out in front of me on the way home from bike night in killeen tuesday night,  :o :o all of a sudden there she was standing right on the edge of the road, lucky i was only going about 40 just went on by her and she didn't move, could of wiped her nose on my way by. ::) ;)
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »

I think I could have slapped this deer on the head as I went in front of it, but was too concerned about keeping both wheels on the ground.  That deer looked like it was 6 ft tall and weighed 350 with a set of antlers that had to have been at least 24" wide.  :o All I could think about was how those things were gonna feel when they gored me from the side.  :-\

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:45:23 PM »

That sounds like a GOOD one Tom!!!! Keep an eye on that buck till October and I'll be down to try to take care of him for you!! Is that on your HIWAY lease?? O0 O0 O0 Glad you are O.K. and the bike will be good for the Coloradical IV ride!! :D :D ;D ;D O0 O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »

That sounds like a GOOD one Tom!!!! Keep an eye on that buck till October and I'll be down to try to take care of him for you!! Is that on your HIWAY lease?? O0 O0 O0 Glad you are O.K. and the bike will be good for the Coloradical IV ride!! :D :D ;D ;D O0 O0 O0

Yeah Tom, all Kenny needs is a window at your house to shoot out of, and he'll take care of that deer! O0

Glad your ok Tom, I hate 'dem damn deer!  Got plenty out here.  Hope to see you next Thursday night, I'll be there!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »

Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

smooth x

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Centerville, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:03:44 AM »

I am glad to hear you did not collide. Whew Close call. What about any bike nights in San Antonio.

MODS Who has those things???? Ride it like you Stole it......

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »

glad it turned out the way it did...
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

RD