Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Bend Long Weekend Cruise anyone?  (Read 2817 times)

txmudmonkey

Big Bend Long Weekend Cruise anyone?
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:11:40 PM »

Any of you guys and gals interested in getting a group of riders together for a long weekend on a cruise to Big Bend ?..1 day out, 1 day there, 1 day back. It will soon be cool enuf. Bear in mind, it takes serious saddle time to do it right in 3 days. Can't tarry long in one place and see it all. You will have an intimate relationship with your saddle before you get back to DFW   O0
I suggest we bunk at Gage Hotel in Marathon, Old Texas Inn in Ft. Davis......ride thru the Park up into the "Basin", ride the 'River Road" to Presidio, visit the McDonald Observatory. I've been out there many times and know how to optimize the adventure. We don't need a "leader", everybody can make there own reservations, ride their own pace, exchange cell phone numbers so we can reconoiter at the end of the day if we separate.  We could pick a date and see who could go.
I have just about got my newly acquired '04 VTX1300S accessorized and ready to go.
I live in Weatherford and expect to join in the X activities in the area soon. Would like to make contact with other riders in this vicinity for 2 wheel adventuring.
If interested, let's start planning.
Can Do, Let's Go!
Gary

Tolly

• Tejano
Re: Big Bend Long Weekend Cruise anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 06:00:32 AM »

Trip sounds fun but you are right alot of saddle time.  I will be in Irving in the middle of October would love to hook up for some ride time and I would be interested in looking at this trip as well. Let me know what you are thinking and I will see what happens.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »

well, yes, i am interested, in fact, ill be there this weekend. leaving thurs night, back on mon night. it will be my first time going.
ill let you know if i want to go again when i get back.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »

I'd be interested....  O0
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 05:34:32 PM »

Jeff---Jim   this is a ride on motorcycles!!!!!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:22:14 PM »

Jeff---Jim   this is a ride on motorcycles!!!!!

I dont care who you are ...that thar is funny!  ;D
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

txmudmonkey

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »

Jerry and gang,
I don't have a date in mind. Thought we might toss it around a little and see who might be interested. In the summer it is too hot and it gets pretty cold in the winter, so spring and fall is the time to go. I rode a VFR out there in February one year and nearly froze.
From experience I know to set a date and itinerary and those that can go will go...can't accommodate everyone's wishes with one date. Also, the group CAN get too big and unwieldly and the logistics get complicated, so need to break up into sub-groups or another trip.
I mainly wanted to get the idea out there and get people started thinking and discussing. As I said , I've done Big Bend enuf to know what and where and when and will be happy to share that info. For me it is a must do every couple of years. Twice I have strapped the backpack onto the bike and hiked the 14 mile South Rim trail up in the Basin, which is a near religious experience.
But mostly, it is great to travel light and visit the fun spots (don't forget to buy a beer for the mayor of Terlingua or is it Lajitas? (a goat) and get a milkshake at the soda fountain in Fort Davis. You must see Santa Elena Canyon (and the road to it) and you won't believe the "river road" to Presidio. Staying overnight in the old part of the Gage Hotel in Marathon and a beverage in the White Buffalo Bar by itself is worth the ride out. Go see the "largest natural swimming pool in the universe" at Balhmorea.
If you ever go, you will go back again and again. I am a native Texan and had no interest until a friend finally dragged me out there several years ago.....I was astonished how much fun the area is. I could easily live in Fort Davis.
Keep in mind, it is a long way out there and your bike needs to be comfortable for hours on end or you will be miserable. Stock saddles don't cut it. :) Fuel is scarce when you get there....never pass up an opportunity to fill up.
Gary
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:36:28 AM by txmudmonkey »

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 09:53:47 AM »

I am living in a "never do today what you can do tomorrow" mode - not a whole lot different then the way I have always lived. :)

Jerry :)

Unless that "doin today" is riding, right, Jer?  O0

I'm up for it, just have to get a back tire and a couple of days off work.... neither should be an issue...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

KatyNeo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »

I've done that ride twice and it is alot of saddle time on the ride to and back.  On both occassions though, we stayed two days, one in the park and one doing the surrounding sights.  If you really want to see the park, I think you need to dedicate an entire day to it, so you can get off the bike and walk around a bit.  My opinion.

Tolly

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 12:33:50 PM »

Just for my own information how long of a ride is it from DFW?
I have lived in Texas my whole life and have yet to go there.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

It sounds like a great ride but could not go untill the middle of October at the earliest.Where we some of us meet up since I may be south of where your located any Houston riders might want to give it a run
Alvin,Texas

txmudmonkey

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 06:24:06 PM »

Tolly,
It's about 500 miles from DFW to Marathon...all day in the saddle (see Mapquest).
From DFW I like to go down thru Brady, it's a prettier ride than thru San Angelo or out I-20, but either way is fine with me.
I'm retired and would enjoy taking several days, but I figgered most would need to do it in 3 days. I admit, you have to keep humpin' to get it done in 3 days.

If we had four days I would suggest:
1st night in Marathon
2nd night thru the Park to Marfa or Alpine
3rd night in Ft. Davis
then home.

I've got a few things left to do on my bike and I'll be ready to go anytime (new Mustang saddle is on the way and I need highway pegs). Got pretty much Everything else done.
Gary

kingato

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »

Btw I did this in 4 days, great ride.

Day One
Austin to Medina (Highways 290-281-46-16)
Medina-Bandera (highway337 - Rated best road to ride in Texas by Texas Ride Magazine)
Bandera-Leakey (highway337  - Rated best road to ride in Texas)
Leakey-Uvalde (highway 83)
Uvalde-Del Rio (highway 90)
Del Rio-Alpine (highway 90)
End of day one

Day two
Alpine to Big bend (highway 118)
Big bend-Lajitas (highway 170)
Lajitas - Presidio (highway 170)
Presidio-Marfa (highway 87)
Marfa-Alpine (highay 90)
End of day two

Day three
Repeat day one in reverse

This will give give the best bang for the buck. Six roads on the best of Texas Rides magazines plus all mostly backroads.
You can downloads the maps I used here all in pdf format.
http://monkeybot.net/travels/bigbendtrip.zip

And my pictureshttp://www.monkeybot.net/travels/bigbend

Enjoy!!

BTW:
we didn't do any reservations. I suggest staying in Alpine because Marathon only has a couple of places to stay. Alpine has plenty.
Plus it gets cold at night so bring al least a Jacket. Also don't drive at night between Marathon - Marfa, there is a lot of deer which makes the road real dangearous. We did it and we saw mule deer right next to the road which we were lucky they didn't jump at us.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:58:45 PM by kingato »

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »

a couple of years ago, we went on easter weekend, and it was already 90 in the park, until you got up into the hills, this is a great area to ride in, would love to meet up with you guy's, i want my wife to go on this trip , so when ya'll settle on a date let's go!! O0
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal