Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your favorite ride  (Read 6872 times)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
Re: Your favorite ride
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:32:39 AM »

For riders that plan to ride in to Mexico here are some tips.

1) Use a frequently used border crossing. Why you ask, you can get motorcycle Insurance for Mexico near the crossing. I strongly advise not using the Laredo or El Paso crossing. Those two are dangerous.
2) Always be polite with the locals, as RocknRoll mentioned, you can get a lot more acomplished on your journey and maybe even make friends for life.
3) When going long distances, when ever possible use the toll roads. They are way better thatn the regular highways.
4) Who to pay off and not to pay off. This is a little tricky, for starters don't pay off the "Federales". I bet many of you have heard stories, most of them, I assure you they are true. The "Federales" are the Mexico Federal police, they are the best paid cops in Mexico and most of them know english
For riders that plan to ride in to Mexico here are some tips.

1) Use a frequently used border crossing. Why you ask, you can get motorcycle Insurance for Mexico near the crossing. I strongly advise not using the Laredo or El Paso crossing. Those two are dangerous.
2) Take your passport with you. Having a driver’s license is no longer enough; also it makes it easier to reenter the US with a passport.
3) You will need to get a permit to go past 20 miles from the border. You can get this permit after you cross the border. Follow the directions, in most of the cases the offices are not next to the border. For more information on getting this permit, go here:
http://portal.sre.gob.mx/consulados/popups/articleswindow.php?id=75
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
4) Always be polite with the locals, as RocknRoll mentioned, you can get a lot more accomplished on your journey and maybe even make friends for life.
5) When going long distances, when ever possible use the toll roads. They are way better than the regular highways.
6) Who to pay off and not to pay off. This is a little tricky:
- For starters don't pay off the "Federales". I bet many of you have heard stories, most of them; I assure you they are true. The "Federales" are the Mexico Federal police, they are the best paid cops in Mexico and most of them know English. You can’t miss them because they ride in black and white cars. If you get stopped by them, follow all of there instructions, and don’t say that you are a US citizen and that you have rights, remember you are in a different country and maybe in the middle of know where. On the other hand, as I said, because they are the best paid cops, they treat everybody with respect (unless you are obnoxious to them) and will not give you a hard time if you follow all of there instructions. Also, the “Federales” are the only cops that I know of that have radar guns, so if the tell you where speeding, probably you where.
- Concerning the rest of the police, it is tough to know who to pay off and who not to pay off. It varies from state to state. Each state has there own state, county, city and municipality police, some jurisdictions overlap each other. My best advice, talk to the locals.
7) How much do you pay off a cop, it depends on the type of cop, talk to the locals, they can let you know, but it’s usually between $5 and $10.
8) Remember that the speeds posted are km/hr not mi/hr. I had to pay of a cop in Mexico because I was speeding, I forgot about the km/hr.
9) If by any chance you are riding and you see big rocks blocking the road, try to get past them as fast as you can. Why you ask, it is a road block set by robbers. This is not very common, but it has happened, mainly in central to southern Mexico. It is extremely rare in northern Mexico.
10) I know some of this stuff does not sound like the makings of a good ride, but riding in Mexico is great. My advice is take your time in planning your trip. Take everything that you may need, and maybe a little extra. Talk to riders that live near the border and have ridden in Mexico. Also, there are forums of riders in Mexico, join the forum and talk to them, they can even give you more tips and maybe even meet with them and go riding, you may never know, you make friends for life.

If you have questions, PM and I’ll gladly will help you out. I have not ridden in Mexico, but I was born and raised there.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Lano

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »

Good advice.  Also do not ride at night.  Banditos and livestock on the highway.  I did not have a passport.  You don't have to have it till 2008.  And then you will only need it to get back into the U.S.  Treat the Mexican people well, and they will treat you well.  Be an ugly Norte Americano and you will probably get what you deserve.  Also, if you stay in Sonora north of Empalme, you don't have to have a permit for your vehicle.  Also, if in Sonora less than one week, you can get a Sonora Only tourist visa which is free.  (Check before going, this is always subject to change.)  I found the hotels quite acceptable.  I stayed away from local water and ice.  I drank bottled water which is available everywhere.  I ate at fancy restuarants to local taco vendors.  I never had any problem.  Theft can be a problem just as it is here.  Park your bike in a secure area!  Also, learn some Spanish.  The people are thrilled that you attempt to communicate in their language.  They will be patient, and you will get your thoughts communicated.  The further you go into Mexico, the less people you find who speak English unless it is a tourist area.  Who wants to go there, that's not the real Mexico.  I went down to find Mexico, not another tourist trap.  Unless you know what you are doing, I highly recommend going down with someone who does at least the first time.  Here's the best tip I can give you.  Fill up with gas on this side of the border.  Go thru the border town and don't stop till you need gas.  That will most likely get you far enough from the border that you can breathe easy.  The border towns (large ones) are where a lot of the problems we hear about in Mexico are.  Sure people die, are robbed in Mexico.  Open up a large city newspaper here.  I bet someone was killed and someone was robbed.  For some reason, every little incident is reported in our newspapers.  I know corruption is real down there, but maybe I was lucky.  I never experienced it.  I am 55 years old, do it before you get too old to enjoy it.  I did.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »

Cool,  We have two leaders.  Jarubio and Lano.  Thanks for volunteering!!! ::) :D ;)

We need a couple of more riders and a date.  Preferably Oct or Nov when it is cooler.

Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 11:18:11 AM »

RocknRoll, I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to make it. I was just giving my $0.02 of riding in Mexico. When my daughter was born this past December, my wife told me I will only have one long bike outing or rally to attend for this year. So I decided to attend ROT. Maybe next time
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 11:40:47 AM »

RocknRoll, I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to make it. I was just giving my $0.02 of riding in Mexico. When my daughter was born this past December, my wife told me I will only have one long bike outing or rally to attend for this year. So I decided to attend ROT. Maybe next time
     Let ANYTHING RocknRoll post, RocknRoll off your back so to speak! He is as abstract as I am! He enjoys the rise from everyone. Pete be gental jarubio is a post whore but he is new.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:43:49 AM by VTreX »
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 12:41:57 PM »

Let ANYTHING RocknRoll post, RocknRoll off your back so to speak! He is as abstract as I am! He enjoys the rise from everyone. Pete be gental jarubio is a post whore but he is new.

Don't listen to him.  You are being drafted to lead this invasion into Mexico.

Actually, a buddy of mine did a similar ride about 12 years ago.  He still talks about it.  I no habla so would probably starve to death.  This would be a great ride.  Maybe next year?

Seriously, You and Lano would be great to lead something like this.  I wonder if there is any interest by anyone else.  Should a poll be posted just to see if there is any interest?  There are quite a few that are fluent in Spanish.  I ain't.

Your thoughts?

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 02:53:57 PM »

I'm up for a ride next year. Some friends and I have been talking in doing a ride to Mexico. Personally, I think going to Sonora is to far. The states of Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon are about a 7 hour ride due south from Austin. We can go to the beach or ride the mountains. There are a lot of Mexican riders that come to ROT. I will try to hook up with them and maybe start organizing something and meet them down there.
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 03:19:44 PM »

I'm up for a ride next year. Some friends and I have been talking in doing a ride to Mexico. Personally, I think going to Sonora is to far. The states of Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon are about a 7 hour ride due south from Austin. We can go to the beach or ride the mountains. There are a lot of Mexican riders that come to ROT. I will try to hook up with them and maybe start organizing something and meet them down there.

Man- that would be great.  I will start practicing my "mangleish" now.

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 04:48:10 PM »

IT COULD HAPPEN!!!!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »

i'll go to mexico with ya. BTW jarubio, the ROT rally doesn't count. it's a local rally for us. i'm sure your wife meant only 1 out of state ride/rally. :)
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 08:30:19 PM »

Sounds good to me!

i'll go to mexico with ya. BTW jarubio, the ROT rally doesn't count. it's a local rally for us. i'm sure your wife meant only 1 out of state ride/rally. :)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 09:03:07 PM »

Sounds good to me!

Nope, my wife counts that as a rally. I tried to convince her that it does not count, but I could not.   :-\   If I push it, you know what wifes can threaten you with,  :o  so I won't push it.
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 09:10:11 PM »

My wife told me she was gona cut me off. I told her she could not cut me off if she didn't konw where I was gitting it. Old as I am. First time I heard it I was to little to laugh so I just rolled over and Sh87.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »

My wife told me she was gona cut me off. I told her she could not cut me off if she didn't konw where I was gitting it. Old as I am. First time I heard it I was to little to laugh so I just rolled over and Sh87.

In some relationships the old "put both feet in a bucket" threat is really a present.  You should send a thank you note!! ;D ;)

Rubio - who wears the pants in your family?  I don't in mine either!   :-\

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »

In some relationships the old "put both feet in a bucket" threat is really a present.  You should send a thank you note!! ;D ;)

Rubio - who wears the pants in your family?  I don't in mine either!   :-\

I know the feeling     I always have the last word: Yes honey   ???
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal