Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a good tire shop ASAP  (Read 1134 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Need a good tire shop ASAP
« on: June 10, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

I have a very slow leak in my rear tire.  I have inspected the tire and do not see any point of entry nor anything still embedded in the tire.  I want to see if this can be plugged on the bike instead of removed as I am heading to Austin tomorrow.  Anyone know of a shop that is open early in the morning or late in the evening that I can take this to?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: Need a good tire shop ASAP
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »

Going to go home at lunch and check the valve stem.  I hope I still have one of those little tools for that. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »

Most MC shops won't plug a tire. If you find the puncture is in the tread , buy the slime rope plugs from auto parts and plug it yourself. For a shop, try Motorcycles unlimited on 1960 . Good folks there maybe he can help you out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:06:20 PM by xcaliber »
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »

Most MC shops won't plug a tire. If you find the puncture is in the tread , buy the slime rope plugs from auto parts and plug it yourself. For a shop, try Motorcycles unlimited on 1960 . Good folks there maybe he can help you out.

I inspected the tire when I had it on the lift and there was no evidence of any puncture.  I am thinking it could be the schreader valve, if not I will head to MU in the AM and get a new tire. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:54:02 AM »

Thanks for the recommend but when I talked to them they didn't seem like they had ever worked on a Harley.  I don't want to have to provide the service manual then pay for their learning curve.  They seem nice though.   $209 for a Michelen Commander 2 isn't a bad price.
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

I had them rebuild the rear wheel of my VTX . Wheel bearings and the dreaded flange bearing. I was happy with them. I have had them mount tires that I bought of the net .Maybe they don't do HD, dunno.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »

I had them rebuild the rear wheel of my VTX . Wheel bearings and the dreaded flange bearing. I was happy with them. I have had them mount tires that I bought of the net .Maybe they don't do HD, dunno.

He said on the phone that they really hadn't done much HD so I opted to ride to College Station and take it to Independence Harley on the way to the ROT rally.  Good thing I did because my back brake pads were gone (I used them a lot in slow speed maneuvers) and they had them in stock.  New tire and read brakes installed plus tax only $357.  That was a heck of a deal plus they completed 3 things on my 10K inspection so I don't have to worry about it.  Now I just need an oil change and I am good until 15K. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

He said on the phone that they really hadn't done much HD so I opted to ride to College Station and take it to Independence Harley on the way to the ROT rally.  Good thing I did because my back brake pads were gone (I used them a lot in slow speed maneuvers) and they had them in stock.  New tire and read brakes installed plus tax only $357.  That was a heck of a deal plus they completed 3 things on my 10K inspection so I don't have to worry about it.  Now I just need an oil change and I am good until 15K. 
I have heard good things about them as well. Glad you got 'er  rolling

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal