Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Gpoup Ride on Sat the 8th or Sun the 9th  (Read 7974 times)

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
Re: Gpoup Ride on Sat the 8th or Sun the 9th
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 06:46:28 AM »

Medieval fighting?   ???   Like jousting?

At night Morgan is the Yellow/Black checkered knight at Medieval Times.   ;D O0

kick Cranberries!   ;D

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:55 AM »

Sunday 9:00 Race Trac in The Colony I in
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:16 AM »

Yeah... no. 

No, I don't joust.  I'm in the world's largest medieval recreation organization, the Society for Creative Anachronism.  (www.sca.org)

We do a variety of medieval activities, but the one I'm primarily interested and active in is our combat.  It's non-choreographed (unlike medieval times or ren fairs) and competitive.  We do singles tournaments as well as large melees where you could have as few as 20 on a side and as many as 1,000 on a side. 

Here's a pic of me:

It's hard to take a good picture of a battle involving upwards of 2,000 combatants, but here's one...

My now long gone VTX...

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:24 AM »

damn Morgan this really bad Cranberries O0

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »

That's cool man...is this something that people can come and watch?

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »

Like I'm fond of saying, everyone needs a hobby.

The SCA is something of a medieval theme party with fighting.  Our events aren't spectator oriented, per se.  It's more "stuff we do when we get together."  But anyone who attends an event can certainly watch without participating. 

The organization is broken up regionally into "kingdoms" and the local kingdom is Texas and Oklahoma in Central time zone.  You can look here for more info:  www.ansteorra.org

There is a calendar that shows our events.  http://calendar.ansteorra.org/  You'll note that there are 1-3 events virtually every weekend of the year SOMEWHERE within Texas and Oklahoma.  Coming up for large melee events (if you want to watch groups of people try to kill and maim each other rather than single individuals trying to kill and maim each other) in November there are 2.. one outside of Tyler, TX and another down close to Beaumont.

Locally speaking, if you're in DFW and you just want to watch a local practice where people work on the skills to beat each other up, there are several practices around town.  One in Carrollton on Sundays, one in Arlington area (I think they're moving it around currently) on Sundays and one in Bedford on Wednesday nights.  Email or PM me if you want details.  If you're located elsewhere and are interested, email or PM me and I'll help you figure out your local area.  This is really a social organization and members from all over this region (kingdom) get to know each other very well.

We have an awards structure that indicates achievement and skill levels in all of our activities.  For fighting, the highest achievement you can attain really is knighthood (of which I am one), which is roughly analogous to getting a black belt in an eastern martial art (I have several of those too).  So if you like fighting in a reasonably controlled environment, partying with belly dancers, drinking until dawn.... then getting up and fighting some more, this might be the thing for you.  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »

This is really a social organization and members from all over this region (kingdom) get to know each other very well.
Ain't nothing like kicking Cranberries to make new friends! ;D
We have an awards structure that indicates achievement and skill levels in all of our activities.  For fighting, the highest achievement you can attain really is knighthood (of which I am one), which is roughly analogous to getting a black belt in an eastern martial art (I have several of those too).  So if you like fighting in a reasonably controlled environment, partying with belly dancers, drinking until dawn.... then getting up and fighting some more, this might be the thing for you.  LOL
Sounds like lots of fun, I'm surprised you can give up the bellydancers long enough to ride! ;D ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »

If you're watching belly dancers for the dance, there are some that are fantastic.  If you're watching they to check out "hot chicks" you're likley to be disappointed more often than not.  I don't like my women Rubenesque.  My wife is 4'11" and in the teens over 100 pounds.  That's not to say there aren't HOT belly dancers, but they're usually not MY type.  And even if they were... well, I usually ride in the day time and the dancers usually do their haflas at night anway!  LOL

We're fond of saying that it's fun to kill your best friends in the day and drinking beer with them at night.  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »

you like them like I do short and built O0

lakebum1980

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »

My old lady is pretty damn small too.  It was kind of odd at first.  She is about 5'1'' and 100lbs. sopping wet.  I am 6'4'' and pushing 250.  We got used to it though.

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »

My old lady is pretty damn small too.  It was kind of odd at first.  She is about 5'1'' and 100lbs. sopping wet.  I am 6'4'' and pushing 250.  We got used to it though.
overlooking the size difference, I dont know how she can put up with you. You are a lucky guy ;D ;D

lakebum1980

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 02:31:48 PM »

overlooking the size difference, I dont know how she can put up with you. You are a lucky guy ;D ;D

It probably has something to do with me being God's gift to women!  Haha. 8) 8)

SHADOW03

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »

GOT GIFT TO WOMEN BULL $HIT HAHA :D

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

It probably has something to do with me being God's gift to women!  Haha. 8) 8)
excuse me while I choke on my own vomit ;D

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 07:54:30 AM »

If you're watching belly dancers for the dance, there are some that are fantastic.  If you're watching they to check out "hot chicks" you're likley to be disappointed more often than not.  I don't like my women Rubenesque.  My wife is 4'11" and in the teens over 100 pounds.  That's not to say there aren't HOT belly dancers, but they're usually not MY type.  And even if they were... well, I usually ride in the day time and the dancers usually do their haflas at night anway!  LOL

We're fond of saying that it's fun to kill your best friends in the day and drinking beer with them at night.  LOL

I'd have to agree with Morgan.  Just from what I have seen with Belly Dancers, there are a lot of Two Hump camels built better.   ;D 

Sorry if any of you are belly dancers as I am sure you are now offended.   ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal