Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woody Fairing  (Read 5727 times)

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
Woody Fairing
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »

Anyone in the SETX area have one of these Woody Fairings on their X?  I'm wanting to get one but interested to see how it mounts on the bike.  I know I have to remove the fork tube covers, but would like to see it already mounted.  Thanks.

Ride safe,
TwoThumbs

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Woody Fairing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »

I think James in bridge city as a woody
Tough been a while since he post here. Check his vtxoa profile.
just take it slow

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

I think Larry (nightwatcher) has one too.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »

I have one on my 1300 and love it no problems except do NOT get the radio with a removable face plate with the vibration it will eventually cut off and on and it is a pain still trying to correct it.J (MrVTX )Jason had the same problem but manages to correct his.
Alvin,Texas

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »

I have one on my 1300 and love it no problems except do NOT get the radio with a removable face plate with the vibration it will eventually cut off and on and it is a pain still trying to correct it.J (MrVTX )Jason had the same problem but manages to correct his.

Jason has no problem with his face plate cause Orange run fast enough to vibrate. :stickpoke: :boxing:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »

Jason has no problem with his face plate cause Orange run fast enough to vibrate. :stickpoke: :boxing:

Hey...wait just a cotton-pickin' minute...

...okay, the wait's over!   ;D

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

You talking about a radio that you can take off to prevent theft?  I was just going to buy a drop in type radio and be done with it.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »

You talking about a radio that you can take off to prevent theft?  I was just going to buy a drop in type radio and be done with it.

No...just don't get one with a removable faceplate like Larry said.  Get a head unit with the faceplate attached full-time.

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

Please examine the pic provided, Woody's Fairing uses three stainless steel HD hose clamps on each side of the upper fork tubes between the triple trees.  Solid as a rock. And the fairing is made specifically for the VTX with a direct mount to 1800's and the 1300 uses a reducer sleeve at the mount location.

I dont have any other closeups untill I get home.

Oh, and thanks Paul, I like doing some Nite Watching also  :stickpoke:  :stickpoke:  :stickpoke:

:couch:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:04:55 PM by TheWatcher »
AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I can't wait to get one of these on my bike.

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

My Woody fairing shipped out yesterday!  Is there anyone with experience removing the fork tube covers to install this on a 1300R?   :banghead:

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »

Try the attached link;

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=12171&section=532061&year=2006&make=Honda&category=Motorcycles&dc=2291&name=FRONT+FORK

If I am not mistaken you need to remove the front tire, fender, and forks and the remove the bolt (#28) that holds the chrome cover to the top side of the lower tree and it will fall out then put it back together.

Best thing to have is a shop manuel to use it for a go by.

Hope this helps somewhat.

:couch:
AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »

Methinks I may have just bitten off more than I can chew.....thanks Watcher

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »

Methinks I may have just bitten off more than I can chew.....thanks Watcher

Well, since you only have two thumbs, it's probably been that way for your whole life, right?   ;D  On a serious note, if you have an extra set of hands to help, you can probably just

1.  Jack the bike up as high as you can and secure it well with straps.
2.  Remove the front caliper from the right fork leg & hang it up with a bungee cord out of the way somewhere on the right side of the bike without pinching the brake hose.
3.  Have someone help you hold the entire front end while the clamp pinch bolts are loosened, and then just slide the whole front end down until the fork sliders clear the fork covers in between the clamps.
4.  Remove the fork covers
5.  Reinstall the whole front end in reverse order

Are you near any other X Riders in your area?  (Not sure where you live.)

TwoThumbs

• Tejano
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »

Now i gotta buy a jack! I know Alejandro is close to me. I don't like to impose but would be willing to offer some kind of payment, whether cash or brew for help with this project. If I have to travel to someone that has the knowledge I'm willing. I'm fairly certain I can install the fairing, it's the fork tube removal I don't wanna screw up.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal