Tech Talk > The Garage

Air, Fuel, Motors, and missives. Article. (Updated 1/3/06)

<< < (2/3) > >>

snake:
WOW, BIG COUNTRY, BIG BALLS, I GUESS? ;D   Good luck on getting a response from him, he rarely visits us these days. I don't deem to speak for him, but I do know not all bikes are created equal, even the same types have differences that would require different settings, as well as aftermarket pipes and air systems not all being "equal". It sounds like you have heard that TFI's are a "lesser" fuel  enhancement and are having a hard time trying to compensate and are trying to "down" PCIII's. I geuss fuel enhancement envy? ;D  JMHO. TFI's are not considered as "tunable" as a rule as they just control fuel amounts versus that,  plus pulse timing and duration that pcIII's are supposed to do. I believe from the tone of your post you should maybe address the questions you have towards a dyno tuner technician, as they might come close to answering your questions, although I think any one of them seeing themselves compared to a yo-yo computer nerd might bristle at the thought of deigning to try to enlighten you. I don't have either on my bike, I already have plenty of power to get tickets with, and therefore don't have the money for a fuel management system even if I wanted one! ;D Good luck on getting an answer that suits you, it kinda' sounds like your mind is made up already.

snake:
By the way, Johnny Cheese is one of the best tuners, and he's just up the road from you in Round Rock, I believe it is... Ride Safe.

bigcountry:
Snake, I think that's the guy I've heard of.  He's in Pfluegerville or Round Rock, I'm told.

Tapper sounds like a very knowledgeable scooter mechanic, there were just a couple of things I had issues with in his very informative post.  I also like to play devil's advocate at times, just to get things interesting.

Back to the fuel management systems....both the PC systems and the TFI have pros and cons.  One of the reasons I chose the TFI was price and it was user tunable, more like a carb.  Although it hasn't gotten rid of all the backfires (as Tapper referenced), it has gotten rid of the fuel-starved, high acceleration flat spots, most of the backfires, and all of the low rpm, low speed lurching while going through the neighborhoods.

Later.

Elata_023:
That was a very informative article! I am just starting out trying to learn how engines work now that I have my first bike. This was very easy to understand and use. Thanks again.

matap:
Holy Thread resurrection!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version