Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: No Smoking Ordinance  (Read 9583 times)

Dusty

No Smoking Ordinance
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:35:42 AM »

As a non smoker, I was glad to see the Beaumont city council pass the no smoking ordinance for all public restaurants and bars yesterday. Nothing irritates me more than to be paying for a meal and have to breath second hand cigarette smoke while I'm eating. Or to be walking into a building and have the entrance blanketed by smokers which forces me to walk through a wall of smoke to get inside. I generally hold my breath and hope that I don't get delayed and pass out in the middle of my entrance. I also no that just like anything else you have considerate smokers and those that feel that it is their God given right to smoke wherever and whenever they please. Anyway, it passed and time will tell how it works out.

What concerns me, even though I applaud this action is just how far can a city government go in telling businesses what can or cannot be done inside their establishments. And I know this isn't a first. I see this being a huge problem in Bars, even though the cigarette smoke is the main reason I don't go to them. That and when I was young, if the cops weren't trying to haul me off, a queer was trying to pick me up. I go to outdoor bars now where I have running room.  :D

We already have clubs on our "Crockett Street" (downtown Beaumont) that have a dress code that is enforced by the day of the week. During the week, you can wear durags and colors in most bars on Crockett Street. BUT, come the weekend when the wannabees and suits may be hanging out at the restaurants and bars the dress codes are changed to no durags or colors. In other words the 1%'s and bikers can be that during the week but have to look like wanna bees on the weekends so as not to scare off the cash crop. Needless to say the 1%'s and free thinkers have their own hangouts. I can almost promise you the smoking ordinance won't be enforced there.

I think smokers should be able to enjoy a smoke (even if I don't see how it can be enjoyable) after a meal without having to leave their table. But, I think it's the restaurants responsibility to have their HVAC system set up to ensure that us non-smokers can enjoy our meals without being forced to breath the smoke. However to retrofit an existing structure for this is a huge expense. Possibly the city should have an ordinance for all new restaurants structures to have an HVAC system that will truly work in separating the two.

I'm through blabbing now. And this should be on the off topic board but at least I mentioned durags and 1%'s.

And my point was ?????  ;D

Bill

e

• Rider
  • ~Back In SA
Re: No Smoking Ordinance
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:46:10 AM »

sounds like you've had a difficult life.

;)

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »

Try thinking of this...Texarkana is divided down the middle by the ark/tex stateline. Different speed limits on opposite sides of the road. Ark side is wet...Beer and Whisky stores, open bars...Texas side is dry, No alcoholic sales, drinks available  only in private clubs. Texas side enacted the smokers ban in public buildings, eg. restaraunts, librarys , stores, but since the clubs are private, smoking is permitted. The establishments can make smoking areas either outside or inside, as long as it is fully enclosed with a seperate air system.  Texas has no state tax, Ark does. Texas requires inspection stickers on your vehicles, Arkansas doesn't. So much different, just crossing a street!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »

I don t like the fact that a city/gov'ment can tell a private buisness what they can or can not do.
if they want to be a 100% smoking place, then the non-smokers can go somewhere else to eat. no one forces you to go in a eat if you dont like smoke. is it the owners responsibility to make sure you have a place to eat that provides a smoke free area?...no
but... if they have a non-smoking section, it should be that....no smoke. but that should be the owners choice, not the city. its your choice in the end, not the owners responsibility.
now keep in mind i dont smoke either.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »

Yeah, posting to get the noob off of me! Shameless, I know!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:33:35 AM »

::)

www.pepsX.com

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:33:54 AM »

::)

and 1!

www.pepsX.com

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »

I agree with you Dan..........But the only thing I wish is if they do have Non-Smoking they don't put it at the back of the building. You have to walk through the smoke to get to it.............. :'(  :'(

By the way I love to eat so I put up with a little smoke......
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »

Well behaved women rarely make history

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:11 AM »

I agree with you Dan..........But the only thing I wish is if they do have Non-Smoking they don't put it at the back of the building. You have to walk through the smoke to get to it.............. :'(  :'(

By the way I love to eat so I put up with a little smoke......

by the looks of your avatar, you are blowing smoke  ;D

www.pepsX.com

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »

I guess I will be taking my money elsewhere and if there are enough (I know there are plenty of smokers) they will do the same. Until August (or is it September?) we should all go to Beaumont then stop frequenting their places of business so they can see that we (patrons) have a voice. I am in school to be a Respiratory Therapist (graduate in Aug) and you guys are all job security, Smoke'm if ya got'em. The City has no business in private establishments as far as this arguement goes. It should be up to the owner and the clientelle they serve. I think I am not gonna wait till the ban is in effect after all.  :P 

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »

I am in school to be a Respiratory Therapist (graduate in Aug) and you guys are all job security, Smoke'm if ya got'em. The City has no business in private establishments as far as this arguement goes. It should be up to the owner and the clientelle they serve. I think I am not gonna wait till the ban is in effect after all.  :P 

hehe - I graduate nursing next week and leave the field of respiratory therapy. ;) I always tell my mom she's job security - but you would be floored if you saw how many RT's smoke! Talk about hypocrisy! With the emphasis on patient education nowadays - how can someone go and tell a patient DON'T SMOKE or QUIT or whatever - when they themselves SMELL like smoke! LOL! Good luck in your career - there will always be a job thanks to the smokers!  :P
Well behaved women rarely make history

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »

I consider myself a considerate smoker. I haven't smoked in my own home for over 12 years. I don't like to stay in hotel rooms that are smoking rooms, I'd rather go outside. I use Listerine strips to cover smokers breath, and my clothes don't smell like smoke, because I smoke outside. I've had employee's that had known me for some time, and were shocked to find out that I smoked. I don't put up a fuss if I can't smoke in a resturant, and I generally sit in the non-smoking section for the comfort of the non-smoker's I'm with.

The Rub: If I'm in a smoking section of a resturants patio, and minding my own business, why do I have to continue to be considerate of others, when I hear "fake" coughing, or rude comments. Haven't I done enough? I have some rights, too!
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »

I consider myself a considerate smoker. I haven't smoked in my own home for over 12 years. I don't like to stay in hotel rooms that are smoking rooms, I'd rather go outside. I use Listerine strips to cover smokers breath, and my clothes don't smell like smoke, because I smoke outside. I've had employee's that had known me for some time, and were shocked to find out that I smoked. I don't put up a fuss if I can't smoke in a resturant, and I generally sit in the non-smoking section for the comfort of the non-smoker's I'm with.

The Rub: If I'm in a smoking section of a resturants patio, and minding my own business, why do I have to continue to be considerate of others, when I hear "fake" coughing, or rude comments. Haven't I done enough? I have some rights, too!

sorry if i offended you, it was only a joke and Jason suggested it anyway.  ;D

www.pepsX.com

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

sorry if i offended you, it was only a joke and Jason suggested it anyway.  ;D

No... no offense taken. As a matter of fact...you've traveled with me..do you feel that I'm inconsiderate of your "non-smokingness"? I just get pissed of at how far in the "back forty" most people want smoker's to be. If I'm in "my" designated area. (if I have one) why, do some people STILL have to be inconsiderate of my rights?
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal