Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New highway hazard/protective device...  (Read 2536 times)

Roller

New highway hazard/protective device...
« on: April 27, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »

Does anyone else have that new cable retainer system along the higway in their neck of the woods?  We just got a mile or two of it in Beaumont and it's designed to 'bounce' a car back into it's own lanes and prevent it from crossing into oncoming traffic if it hits the median.  That's great for a car, but if a bike hits it, it's going to shred the rider.  It's 4 or 5 inch wide I-beams sticking up out of concrete about 4 feet high, and three 3/4" cables are threaded thru the I-beams along the edge of the roadway.  It may be better than going into oncoming traffic, but couldn't be much better.  It would certainly keep the other cars off of you.  Everytime I see those things, I cringe.
   I guess the moral of the story is don't run into the stuff in the first place.

vtxan

• Rider
Re: New highway hazard/protective device...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

I saw the same thing just west of Weatherford the other day and thought the same thing.  No one ever considers the bikers when they design this stuff.

Xlr8

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »

I haven't seen it and I really don't like the sounds of it....nasty.
Well it's time to either get busy livin, or get busy dyin....Andy Dufresne- Shawshank Redemption

Don't be afraid of failing at something that matters, be afraid of succeeding at something that doesn't matter.

Jimbo

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

We got a few miles of the stuff here in west Fort Worth on I-820. Bad news for the bikes...
03 Black 1800R, Deluxe backrest/lugage rack, Switchblade 2-up, Cobra fatboy highway bars and other little creature comforts...

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:26 PM »

They've started putting it up on I-10, and on our outer loop 1604. We've had a lot of "crossing over" accidents in the last couple of years around here.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Swampfox

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »

I don't mine the safty Stuff it's the damaged roads grooves cut in a road holes and road trash I worry about it every where.

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:21:07 AM »

Does anyone else have that new cable retainer system along the highway in their neck of the woods?  We just got a mile or two of it in Beaumont and it's designed to 'bounce' a car back into it's own lanes and prevent it from crossing into oncoming traffic if it hits the median.  That's great for a car, but if a bike hits it, it's going to shred the rider.  It's 4 or 5 inch wide I-beams sticking up out of concrete about 4 feet high, and three 3/4" cables are threaded thru the I-beams along the edge of the roadway.  It may be better than going into oncoming traffic, but couldn't be much better.  It would certainly keep the other cars off of you.  Every time I see those things, I cringe.
   I guess the moral of the story is don't run into the stuff in the first place.

I've been sitting in one lane for the past month, to and from work, morning and evening, while they were putting that stuff up. At first I was puzzled by why they were adding asphalt out beyond the shoulder. What a waste I thought. Then, I saw them drill the holes on basically 10 ft. centers. This amazed me because they left the holes open and unprotected for anyone who may break down and pull over to step in and break a leg. Let me do that on a construction job and see what OSHA does.
Then they started setting the post and I realised they put the asphalt down so they wouldn't have to weed eat under the new GUARDRAIL they were going to put up. Then I saw the cables going up. YIKES!
My first thoughts were can I time my jump to clear the top of the giant cheese cutter while my bike was tossed back into traffic for the cars to play bumper bike with. Then, a couple of days later when I was headed South on 69 at Lucas I saw someone had already left the road and mowed down about six of the I-beams leaving a tangled mass of steel and cable. Oh joy, lets ride into that.
I finally woke up and realized why they put these where they put them. These are at high traffic merging points. The places where the, can't wait, talking on the cell phone, pass on the shoulder and pay no attention to paint markings, get out of my way people are more prone to rear end someone. So, instead of a rail to stop them  when they realize they screwed up and leave the pavement, they spent millions to save their lives and hopefully keep them from going into on coming traffic.
Now, what would cause less bodily harm to a biker? One solid guard rail or multiple strands of cable and increasing pieces of 30" i-beam flailing around. If the impact doesn't get you, don't give up, you still have a chance to gain multiple contusions.
Now, are these I-beams designed to break away and are easy to replace? Or, do they have to go back, pull up the concrete and do the process all over again? I sure hope they are easily replaced. I'm really tired of sitting in one lane of traffic. It's bad enough when it's two lanes and everyone is fighting to gain that 18 feet of pavement that lies directly in front of me. Take the pavement just give me my 2 second space.  :-\

I feel better now  ;D

Bill

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:28:23 AM »

Holy cow - those sound very scary!
Well behaved women rarely make history

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:54:59 AM »

They're going to put up whatever will give them the most results for the least money. Apparently someone has concluded that this is it. We have the concrete center barricades here. One night I watched a BMW (cage) doing 360s at well over 100 mph hit it; it moved the barricade but it kept the car on my side of the road. However, I have seen two wrecks where the cars went over it onto the other side. I'm not aware of anything that will stop either a cage or a bike safely in every conceiveable event.
02 1800C

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »

there are a few miles of the cheese cutter along I-10 outside of Houston on the West side. it would not be fun to ride into that on a bike. I wonder if they did any testing with bike getting tangled up in that mess.
when they first started laying the concrete for it in the center of the median, i thought it was for the "undodcumented citizens" (notice it has been upgraded from undocumented worker) heading into Houston to keep them out of traffic. but then they started putting up posts and stringing cable.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »

I sort of did a real brief, at a distance inspection of the post today and they appear to be designed to break away right below the surface as they have a plastic cap around the i-beam base. I got a quick look at one that had been toppled last week and it looked like there were some bolts at the base that had been sheared by the impact.

What impact it would take to shear them is another question. But I bet an 800 lb bike could take at least one out at speed. A man probably would just stick and stay. Sort of as unforgiving as the solid guard rail.

Bill

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »

They have put those "retainers" on MoPac (Loop 1) in Austin. I go on that road that often, so I did not think to much about it. Roller, thanks for the heads up, now I can see how a rider can get shredded up. Scary thought
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Skydvr

• Tejano
  • Arlington, Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »

Yikes....this doesn't sound good.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal