Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Spring Thing 2009  (Read 24154 times)

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
Re: Spring Thing 2009
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Guppy said it perfectly.

The thing to be embarrassed about is the arrogant way the membership was treated by the board with this cancellation.  And it is just that, a cancellation.  Moving Spring Thing to August isn't a “postponement.”

As a long standing member I am proud to stand in opposition of the way this cancellation was handled.  Again, it has been known for at least 10 days that the weather was going to be nasty.  One only had to glance at any of the internet weather services to see that.  Rain or shine – I planned on attending.  If there are those that love camping in August, then start a gathering just like Kenny did.  Just do it and post it.  Call if Fall Ball, Summer Bash or something.  

As for the money allegation, the first person that brought up money as an issue was a BOARD member.  I didn’t see any posts that suggested this was a money making scheme.  If fact, I think most folks were surprised that the board had taken over this gathering.  I guess the unwashed masses just didn’t have a need to know.  We are all equal, just some are more equal than others.

It is the attitude that the board “rules” over us that I object to.  The board made a unilateral decision.  Now they should live with it and accept both the praise and criticism from the members with equal GRATITUDE!  Trying to silence the criticism is – well you know.  Interestingly there is no wailing or gnashing of teeth over the praise from Hooter and others.

Hope this clarifies my position for you.

NuffSaid.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:57 PM »

color=green] :popcorn:   O.K. here I am, I hope that this will pass and not be a wedge in this group.. Beeing of few words and fewer spelled correctly here goes.. I did have a call about the postponement and was in agreement... My reason was looking at the number of people dropoing off.. There was an overage on donations last year, and as I had said when there was more than enough to cover the cost it would go to the X Riders as seed money for this event!! It was not enough to cover the three days (thanks Randy),,,  Again I support the delay. I am sorry it has caused a problem with anyone. I place GREAT VALUE on all my friends and hope to see y'all in August, ride in the a.m. and p.m. swim at mid-day or set in the close to a cold shower!!!  Try for next year.. and thanks to the people that SERVE on the BOD for the membership!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:RIDE SAFE RIDE LONG [/color]  I don't know why it is NOT green  >:D :simmadown: :simmadown: :c :t :bikerider:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:45:33 PM by VTreX »
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »

Beeing of few words and fewer spelled correctly here goes..

Thanks for the laugh, Kenny!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »

Beeing of few words and fewer spelled correctly here goes..

Thanks for the laugh, Kenny!
Take it e-z on the snops and we will see you in Texas!!! O0 O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »

dang folks, thought BBT was the official gthering. Why overorganize this thing .If you want to ride and camp , just pick a day and go, post that your going , invite anyone that wants to come, and whoever shows, shows. I'll be at the KOA in Kerrville at the end of the month with some friends. Look me up if your there! Let's ride
It's all just part of the adventure!

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »

Crewsn..on the attack?  Who's misreading the lines now?  More like defense.

As for the chopping block, that was an unnecessary comment towards something that doesn't even apply.  Only 1 person in the history of the site has ever been perma banned and they came here only to start a rift.  Another was 2 days.  Save the drama.

You heard it directly from the originator of the Spring Thing that it was also his decision to move it, but I guess that doesn't matter for Pete and yourself.  You both insist on bashing the BOD since you obviously have issues with us with complete disregard that Kenny HIMSELF condoned it.

I guess you 2 are so worked up that you missed that anyone is more than welcome to still go to the camp for this weekend.

Pete, I expected more out of you.
Chunk the llama.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »

Even tho I have been riding for several years, I have never been involved with a large group of riders getting together and going to an event such as Spring Thing or BBT.  I'm sure I am in for the shock of my life, lol. So help me understand what the structure is.  Someone had to put a $450 deposit down to reserve a certain number of camping/RV spots together on a certain date?  Then the riders coming in have to also pay a per night fee?  Does the deposit also reserve like a common gathering pavilion type of facility?  The $450 just seems excessive to me, but like I said I am not familiar with the set up of this type of get together. 

I'm assuming that BBT is handled the same way...we had to pay $35/person registration which goes towards the deposit I assume and then we have to also pay a per night camping/RV fee.  If I am wrong let me know.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

The $450 "saves" all of the spots more or less.  However many people show up would split the cost so that the $450 is reimbursed.
Chunk the llama.

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »

Even tho I have been riding for several years, I have never been involved with a large group of riders getting together and going to an event such as Spring Thing or BBT.  I'm sure I am in for the shock of my life, lol. So help me understand what the structure is.  Someone had to put a $450 deposit down to reserve a certain number of camping/RV spots together on a certain date?  Then the riders coming in have to also pay a per night fee?  Does the deposit also reserve like a common gathering pavilion type of facility?  The $450 just seems excessive to me, but like I said I am not familiar with the set up of this type of get together. 

I'm assuming that BBT is handled the same way...we had to pay $35/person registration which goes towards the deposit I assume and then we have to also pay a per night camping/RV fee.  If I am wrong let me know.

I wasn't able to make this weekends ride with ya'll but I've been on many large group rides over the last three years as a member of the CaliforniaVTXriders, so I can only speak from that perspective...

There were 5 or 6 large weekend rides every year. These were rides that many members looked forward to every year (including myself) and would set their calendars around. The last one I participated in before I moved here was the Big Bear Wounded Warrior ride in May 2008. Well guess what... it SNOWED that weekend! For those that don't know, Big Bear is a resort community in the mountains near Los Angles. Big Bear city is at about the 8,000 ft level. We had a rider get caught in the snow on the ride up, forcing him and his wife to make an unscheduled overnight stop to wait out the weather. Well, in the end everyone made it up... some rode, some caged it and we had a BLAST. My point is... big weekend rides were never postponed or canceled for any reason. I guess it was an unwritten "rule" although the word "rule" was a dirty word... the Calvtxer's don't like rules. ;)
Sounds to me like many people were looking forward to this and would have participated no matter what the weather was like. Also sounds like their feelings were hurt when they weren't consulted before the decision was made to cancel, I mean postpone this major yearly event. Can't say I blame them.
We're all adults here and capable of deciding what to do and what not to do. Worrying about someone riding (or camping) in the rain and getting sick isn't the responsibility of the organizers. It's up to the individual. We're all adults and can make our own decisions.
In my humble opinion this large, preplanned get-together should not have been canceled. Those that didn't want to attend because of the weather, would have stayed home. Those that did, would have been there.
Now there's the possibility that people are going to be skeptical about signing up for future large group rides... Will it be canceled, will it not. Hmmmmmm

IMHO the BOD should make a ruling about NOT canceling large weekend rides in the future. It's just not cool!

Just a newbies 2 cents. ;)
 :couch:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:30:08 PM by Xmark »
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2009, 07:28:53 PM »

So... since ya'll ain't doing much on Sunday... how about heading over to Bikini's in San Marcos! :lunch: :c :bikerider:
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=10525.msg108618#msg108618

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »

Brock - I, for one, expected more from the Board.  Like respect for the membership.  Those of us that were going rain or shine showed respect for Kenny and Randy.  As I read it, the decision to cancel was made BEFORE anyone called Kenny.  That said, knowing Kenny blessed the decision does NOT excuse the way the board handled the cancellation, its announcement and subsequent explanation.  It is the attitude taken by the board in making this decision and the board's ongoing "We know what's good for you" mind-set that is so shocking.  As for bashing the board, it was the board, not Kenny and probably not Randy, not even you, that cancelled Spring Thing.  No one, and as you can see, especially me, likes to be treated the way the board treated the membership.  They made a personal decision and, in effect said, to hades with the rest of you, we are taking our ball and going home and closing the field.  None of the explanations given by the board or their supporters address the appalling attitude taken by the board in the cancellation decision.  Perhaps I missed it since I didn't make a fly-speck search, but I wonder if the board member that made the decision was even going to Spring Thing even if the weather was perfect.

If my position is still unclear, keep posting, but address the attitude taken by the board, not some other aspect of this decision.  Don't go off on money or bad weather or Kenny or some other topic.  The board ain't king and I ain't your subject.

Xmark makes a viable suggestion.  If there is an event, like Spring Thing, that the board wants to take over, then put it to the membership long before the scheduled event.  Once the event is taken over, the event goes on unless there is a contingent plan that has been conveyed to the membership.  Kenny started Spring Thing 4 years ago.  With the perfection of 20/20 hindsight, this would have been the type of membership inclusion that the board should be working toward.

Pete

Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:59 PM »

I wasn't able to make this weekends ride with ya'll but I've been on many large group rides over the last three years as a member of the CaliforniaVTXriders, so I can only speak from that perspective...

There were 5 or 6 large weekend rides every year, at the same time and same place. These were rides that many members looked forward to every year (including myself) and would set their calendars around. The last one I participated in before I moved here was the Big Bear Wounded Warrior ride in May 2008. Well guess what... it SNOWED that weekend! For those that don't know, Big Bear is a resort community in the mountains near Los Angles. Big Bear city is at about the 8,000 ft level. We had a rider get caught in the snow on the ride up, forcing him and his wife to make an unscheduled overnight stop to wait out the weather. Well, in the end everyone made it up... some rode, some caged it and we had a BLAST. My point is... big weekend rides were never postponed or canceled for any reason. I guess it was an unwritten "rule" although the word "rule" was a dirty word... the Calvtxer's don't like rules. ;)
Sounds to me like many people were looking forward to this and would have participated no matter what the weather was like. Also sounds like their feelings were hurt when they weren't consulted before the decision was made to cancel, I mean postpone this major yearly event. Can't say I blame them.
We're all adults here and capable of deciding what to do and what not to do. Worrying about someone riding (or camping) in the rain and getting sick isn't the responsibility of the organizers. It's up to the individual. We're all adults and can make our own decisions.
In my humble opinion this large, preplanned get-together should not have been canceled. Those that didn't want to attend because of the weather, would have stayed home. Those that did, would have been there.
Now there's the possibility that people are going to be skeptical about signing up for future large group rides... Will it be canceled, will it not. Hmmmmmm

IMHO the BOD should make a ruling about NOT canceling large weekend rides in the future. It's just not cool!

Just a newbies 2 cents. ;)
Mark would like to seend the seed money for next year??  Come up in August and see what we get for the $450.00..   Until   this year I fronted the money (and did not lose money because some put in MORE THAN THEIR SHARE). I don't know who, money was NEVER counted until after the event.. If you read the post above last year more money tham was needed was in the pot(can)! This was the seed money for this year. This year we hopped to make seed money for next year... When I was asked what I thought, with the forcast and the number that had already backed out, and it was nolonger MY money, I think the proper decission was made!!   This will be the 4th year in a central area of the state and we hope it will pay for its self for a long time to come.. The group not an indivual is at risk of losing the cash!!

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »

I am sad!!!!

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

It was me. It had to be me. It was in my name. But it was the groups money. So please direct all gripes my direction. I am a big boy and can handle it. All I can say is that it was thought to be the best decision for the future of the Spring Thing. We did not want to put the weight of the entire expense on just a few that would show up. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:07:21 PM by txcajun »
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »

As I read it, the decision to cancel was made BEFORE anyone called Kenny. 

Wrong. 

I also already made it very clear that anyone who wanted to go could still go and pony up the $450 themselves.  So far it's still a fairly free country.

With that I'm done defending a decision I didn't make, but agree with.  In the end we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Chunk the llama.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal