Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Spring Thing 2009  (Read 24067 times)

bigdogsgal

• Old Timer
Re: Spring Thing 2009
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »

Sorry to deliver this bad (some may say good) news but we have decided to postpone Spring Thing.  Weather is not conducive to motorcycles or campers.  The cold front has moved in the highs are in the 40's with rain every day.  Sat seems to be a little better, 40% chance of rain and high of 56.

In reading recent posts and speaking with folks, the attendance is starting to dwindle down.  The event cost $450 and is split among those that attend.  Rather than risk losing the funds we have decided to postpone event.  The new dates are Aug 13 - 16th, hope you all understand.

Rain/Thunder/Wind
Thursday - Low: 40° High: 46°
Friday - Low: 37° High: 44°
Satrday - Low: 38° High: 56°

'05 1800F Black Cherry Red Spec 3

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

Yeah, had already decided to back out due to weather. But I don't camp in August!   :couch:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

So... will it be called the "Summer Thing 2009" ;)
Isn't it really hot/humid here in August?  :couch:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:49:16 AM by Xmark »
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »

Isn't it really hot/humid here in August?  :couch:

By then you won't notice. Your lungs will be replaced by gills and you'll be able to survive.
Hot and Humid is in April. August is usually remarked by furinners as "How the hell can you stand this heat?"  :t
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

newj

• Rider
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

well maybe i can make it by august, depends if i have a job then. that gives me enough time to figure out how to haul a portable a/c on the X all the way to the site.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »

Sorry to deliver this bad (some may say good) news but we have decided to postpone Spring Thing.  Weather is not conducive to motorcycles or campers.  The cold front has moved in the highs are in the 40's with rain every day.  Sat seems to be a little better, 40% chance of rain and high of 56.

In reading recent posts and speaking with folks, the attendance is starting to dwindle down.  The event cost $450 and is split among those that attend.  Rather than risk losing the funds we have decided to postpone event.  The new dates are Aug 13 - 16th, hope you all understand.

Rain/Thunder/Wind

If i recall correctly, the first spring thing still went on under very similar circumstances. key words there is "still went on". As I can see though, this has apparently become a "money thing" for the X riders. Everyone planning on attending has known about the weather since this past weekend and now, less than 24 hours before heading out, you're going to post-pone it. Glad to see everyone got a chance to express their opinion on the matter!

BTW, I had originally scheduled days off from work for this (doesn't matter now) and some others may have to.
One other question, who's going to reimburse me for the $150 worth of groceries we bought for this and the $50 in gas for going to llano and picking up the fifth wheel? Think maybe someone can shoot me a check from the X rider fund, Oh wait a minute, guess that falls in the "risk of losing funds" comment posted above. 

One more thing and this is the last, It was also nice that we all got a chance to voice our ideas of the new dates as well.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:38:58 PM by Crewsn »
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »

Rain/Thunder/Wind

If i recall correctly, the first spring thing still went on under very similar circumstances. key words there is "still went on". As I can see though, this has apparently become a "money thing" for the X riders. Everyone planning on attending has known about the weather since this past weekend and now, less than 24 hours before heading out, you're going to post-pone it. Glad to see everyone got a chance to express their opinion on the matter!

BTW, I had originally scheduled days off from work for this (doesn't matter now) and some others may have to.
One other question, who's going to reimburse me for the $150 worth of groceries we bought for this and the $50 in gas for going to llano and picking up the fifth wheel? Think maybe someone can shoot me a check from the X rider fund, Oh wait a minute, guess that falls in the "risk of losing funds" comment posted above. 

One more thing and this is the last, It was also nice that we all got a chance to voice our ideas of the new dates as well.

Well not that it matters but some of us were planning on rain, snow, sleet, or shine. But oh well.
August that sounds like a blast so hot that none of us will be willing to camp....
 :-\

Oh well life gose on right?

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

bigdogsgal

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »

Surely we cannot make everyone happy and in the past individuals put up their money and hoped they would be reimbursed.  Texas X Riders BOD agreed to take on this event this year so yes we have to make decisions as to what is best.  Remember, the event is designed around getting as many X Riders there as possible and the cost is covered by those that attend.  Since this event is pay if you attend, I highly doubt that the handful of follks will pay over $100 a piece for the weekend.  So yes, we made a decision and knew that some would be happy and some not. 

As far as the date, there isn't much choice.  All weekends are booked until last weekend in July and a couple of weekends in August then nothing opens up again until last weekend in October.

Added...

Just an after thought, for those that still want to camp you can reserve this weekend by going online to recreation.gov.  cedar ridge loction.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:48:23 PM by bigdogsgal »

'05 1800F Black Cherry Red Spec 3

Gupone

• Tejano
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »

This defiantly is a touch call.  On one hand you have the true tent campers that probably don’t want to be out in a nylon tent when it is raining and the wind is kicking so hard.  On the other hand you have folks like me, who have a Popup or RV and no matter what we can stay dry and poke our heads out between the drops of rain.

I am not a big fan of riding in the rain as most of you are not but I can always give it a try.  Now camping in the summer is a hard thing also.  I have an A/C in the popup and for me it’s no big deal, but I would not like to Tent Camp in that blistering summer heat. (When I was a kid I had no felling but now I am old and man can I sweat)   Has anyone thought about another venue?  I know that there are a few "corps of eng" camp sites in the Georgetown area and around Austin.   I am sure we might be able to find something if we wanted and possibly work a good deal.  I will leave this up to the board or we can even take a vote.
I am sorry to see the weather take a turn for the worst and was excited to meet some new and current fellow Riders.  I hope we can work something out before August as I think we all need this real bad. (Beer)

Tim
VTX 1800N Spec2 V&H Long Shots.

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »

hey Geri, I think this is a great Idea.  I had planned to take off 2 days of work, but not for 45degree weather and Rain.  Smart idea for Whoever decided.

Earl, will be their in Aug.  HOT or Not

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »

Stillhouse Lake has several enclosed (screened w/ a curtain & running water) facilities.  Shower facility is within 50 yds.  I would guess they are about 12x16.  I cannot remember the name of the State Park they are in; but it is on the South side of the lake.  Also, McKinney Falls Park in Austin has numerous enclosed cabins (screened & enclosed with windows).
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:46 PM »

Pussies... I'll be in Toronto, where it really gets cold...

:stickpoke: :boxing: :pot: :couch:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »

Rain/Thunder/Wind

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

The fact there would be bad weather was known at least 10 days ago.  And AUGUST - This is TEXAS.  I can tell you for a fact, FIVE MONTHS in advance, that it will be about 100 degrees with lows of about 85.  Oops I forgot - they have RVs.  My bad.

Children, we are soooooo lucky to have such a wonderful, thoughtful and inclusive board that always has our best interests at heart.  I guess next we will have to ask the "Board" if and when we can ride.

Yeah - I know about and am praying for Randy's daughter, but this could have been handled much better.

Kenny started this thing all by his lonesome.  And it just got better.  Those that came were welcomed and treated with respect.  What a difference.

No - I don't understand why the "Board" couldn't have handled this better.  This matches the Bluebonnet Blunder!  Spring Sprong Gone
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2009, 10:02:47 PM »

This matches the Bluebonnet Blunder! 

Actually Pete I went to the Blunder, and had fun!  :stickpoke:

And Randy, not sure what Pete's talking about with your daughter, but hope and pray everthings OK.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »

This matches the Bluebonnet Blunder! 

Actually Pete I went to the Blunder, and had fun!  :stickpoke:

And Randy, not sure what Pete's talking about with your daughter, but hope and pray everthings OK.

I went also and it was GREAT.  I think because it wasn't over-organized.  No ruling class either.  Just bikers!! :bikerider: :bikerider:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal