Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 1772 times)

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
Exhaust
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »

:cuss: :banghead:

I lost the rear heat shield off of my Vance & Hines Big Shots that are on my 1800c while riding in the wind we had last Friday. Vance & Hines wants $300.00 just for the shield. Does anyone have a set of these that i can get the shield off of or maybe another set of pipes they would be willing to let go of?

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:23 PM »

I decided to wrap them with some heat wrap. Least expensive solution to my problem. I will post some pics as I go.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »

:thumbup:
It's all just part of the adventure!

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »

1. Bike with no exhaust.
2. Pipes cleaned & ready to wrap.
3. Front pipe wrapped.
4. Ran out of black wrap.
5. Still had a little blue wrap left.

Can't put the pipes back on yet because the last header bolt I tried to put in, the bottom one on the rear head, started to strip out. Now I have to get a tap & a die to fix it. Luckily I stopped as soon as I felt it start to strip.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:50:11 PM by BobWd »

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »

;D :D 8) :P :-\
It's finally back together! The blue wrap didn't stay that way for long!!   LOL

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
It's all just part of the adventure!

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »

:redcard: :cuss:
Still getting some heat off of the rear pipe so I ordered another role of the black wrap. I'll double wrap the 1st half of each pipe & see what the heat is like then.

Would it hurt the engine if I had to triple wrap the rear pipe in order to keep the heat off of my leg?

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »

:redcard: :cuss:
Still getting some heat off of the rear pipe so I ordered another role of the black wrap. I'll double wrap the 1st half of each pipe & see what the heat is like then.

Would it hurt the engine if I had to triple wrap the rear pipe in order to keep the heat off of my leg?

No.  It will do nothing to engine performance, but keep in mind that pipewrap holds moisture so the more you have wrapped around the pipe the more moisture it will hold, eventually make the pipes rust, it might take some time but will always be present. 

I'm not discouraging it.  I have a project bike that I'm wrapping pipes, but just be aware of the invisible effects.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

matap

• Board
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

another thing to do to cool the engine off a little more is to richen the mixture.  If you don't already have one, get a fuel management system or something similar and richen it.  More fuel will make the motor run cooler.  This doesn't go without saying, but richening needs to be accomplished by properly tuning as well. 

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »

another thing to do to cool the engine off a little more is to richen the mixture.  If you don't already have one, get a fuel management system or something similar and richen it.  More fuel will make the motor run cooler.  This doesn't go without saying, but richening needs to be accomplished by properly tuning as well. 
I know what your saying but the engine isn't running hot, I'm just trying to keep the heat from the rear exhaust pipe off of my leg. I didn't have a problem until I lost the heat shield. :good: :good:

matap

• Board
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

I'm not saying your motor is running hot, but if you cool it down your pipes will run cooler in turn.  Where you think all that heat is coming from? :stickpoke: :t

True....heat shields do serve their intended purpuse. 

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »

I'm not saying your motor is running hot, but if you cool it down your pipes will run cooler in turn.  Where you think all that heat is coming from? :stickpoke: :t

True....heat shields do serve their intended purpuse. 

:stickpoke: :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

I getcha. Was a mechanic for 26 years. Really don't want to mess up my fuel mileage. Averaging up around 40.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal