Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths  (Read 3701 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 05:13:35 AM »

Zoomie, I agree that lane splitting, DONE PROPERLY, would be a viable tactic in many situations, and other than the cagers' reactions (I've never had a door opened on me either, but I have seen it done to others) I don't have any issues with it. The one caveat I'd offer on lane splitting is this: if you worry about inattentive drivers rear-ending you, you should also be concerned about them cutting you off. Lane splitting means that you are approaching every vehicle you encounter from the blind side. If dead ahead is a blind side for a cager, think how blind he is to the rear and sides. Heavy, slow-moving traffic is what brings out the worst impatience and impulsiveness in drivers, and they frequently dart to a different lane that they perceive as faster without looking first. Remember, job one is to get there first, and there are no fouls called in the game of car wars.
02 1800C

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 05:33:12 AM »

I know yall drive cars and trucks right?
Pretty scary doin that  right?......bikes are more dangerous id say, lost many a freind on bikes.....
Mythes , facts, its all the same,........riding bikes will get you mamed or killed, theres no doubt that taking precautions is smart, but not foolproof.
One word of advice, keep it in gear and watch yer tail when stopped...you may need to get out the way of an idiot behind you. Had to jump around the car ahead at the light 3 times that I can remember over the years.....twice the car got tagged but I was already around and to the side.....
I hope we all live long enough to ride to the gates of heaven.
Ride safe
d

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »

My counterpoint to your counterpoint:

I fail to see how we're in disagreement.
My now long gone VTX...

bgreer

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »

The original article was a good read, but I knew that your insights would be even better, thats why I posted it here. I appreciate all your responses.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »

I fail to see how we're in disagreement.
Not disagreement...
My counterpoints...

Myth 1: Other Drivers Don't Care About Motorcyclists

They of course aren't TRYING to kill us, but because our existence matters so LITTLE to their convenience, it come out to the same thing in the end....  careLESS (not careFREE) drivers run over folks on motorcycles

Careless drivers run over anything that gets in the way! It's not so much that we matter little to them, if they will pull out in front of a speeding pickup or semi because they "didn't see it", they sure won't have noticed us. The myth is just that. We have to realize what blind spots are present in the minds of a reckless driver that is not only oblivious to us, but to tractor trailers, trains, m/c's, etc. They are just not aware, period. Granted, Morgan, there is the odd case, to be sure, where a car pulling out onto the main road will "see" the motorcycle and will pull out anyway, thinking the motorcycle will do everything not to hit them, and they might not have done it had they seen a large vehicle approaching at the same rate of speed. I think this to be the extremely rare case though. But, as Crew says...opinions vary! ;D
You said it wasn't a myth but true, whereas, I took what you said :"They of course aren't TRYING to kill us, but because our existence matters so LITTLE to their convenience..." to mean "us" as motorcyclist, and I feel it's not just a disregarding the motorcycle thing, it's a ignorant, unaware driver thing...to me the myth part fits. JMO  ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

zoomie

• Rider
  • USAF Security Forces MSgt (Ret.) 1987-2007
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

Lucky your story reminds me of a saying my cousin told me when he taught me to drive many years ago, "When in doubt, gun it out!"  That bit of advice has saved me on more than one occassion!  O0
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

Yeah zoomie, but what happens when someone opens a door in front of you? Assuming the traffic is at a stop at the moment, that is. I alwys wondered how that fits into lane splitting.

I had a truck driver open a door on me while I was on a Honda CB 350. I laid it down and rode it until it stopped. The driver was upset because I was riding between cars stopped for traffic and had decided to teach me a lesson.

I'll split 'em if I've got to, if not I'll sit it out like the others.
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

bgreer

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »

Yeah zoomie, but what happens when someone opens a door in front of you? Assuming the traffic is at a stop at the moment, that is. I alwys wondered how that fits into lane splitting.

I had a truck driver open a door on me while I was on a Honda CB 350. I laid it down and rode it until it stopped. The driver was upset because I was riding between cars stopped for traffic and had decided to teach me a lesson.

Just curious, did you leave this a$$ among the living

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »

Didn't want to. Didn't plan on it. I got off the bike and was going over to "speak" with him when I noticed he was holding a "cheater bar". Being armed with only my temper and a lit cigarette, I decided it might be best to retreat,...this time.
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

bgreer

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:52:30 AM »

Didn't want to. Didn't plan on it. I got off the bike and was going over to "speak" with him when I noticed he was holding a "cheater bar". Being armed with only my temper and a lit cigarette, I decided it might be best to retreat,...this time.

uhmmm......never mind
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:51:55 PM by bgreer »

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09:39 AM »

I don't think I like this kinda post sounds to serious but I see the point in it if you ride every day in traffic jams.  :-\

zoomie

• Rider
  • USAF Security Forces MSgt (Ret.) 1987-2007
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »

My final words on the subject .  . . everyone needs to be safe!  That' means being patient and stay alert to EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around you.  Keep you head on a swivel and the rubber on the road!  Looking forward to ridign with ya'll someday soon!  Until then be safe!  O0
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »

Hmmm, I remember a few years ago on this board, we had one guy that split lanes with traffic going each way on each side! We called him "third lane" 'cause he said the 'third lane might one day save your life", lol. He's still here...old timer...i won't out him, but many know who he is... ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 04:57:14 PM »

Yeah, we wouldn't want to embarass Martin by mentioning his name.......
02 1800C

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

He just posted ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal