Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dangerous Places for moptorcycles to be.  (Read 3710 times)

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
Dangerous Places for moptorcycles to be.
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:12:58 AM »

Rothlisberger's accident brought up how dangerous an intersection is to a biker.

I have read many places that statistically, intersections are the most dangerous places a biker can be, and that the most common bike accident is a motorist left hand turn across an intersection in front of a bike. So I watch intersections real close.

That and deer were the main reason that I bought a light bar which I read was the best precaution to take other than approaching interesections with concern.

Another place I've read is...accidents....where motorists are more concerned with looking at the accident than what is in front of them.

These things seem obvious enough but it helps to keep them in the front of your mind.

Can anyone add to this?
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Dangerous Places for moptorcycles to be.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:46 PM »

Houston sucks for bikes. Since I haven't had to be at work the last couple weeks I've been out and about at all hours of the day. Mostly in the car running errands and such, but I've had about 10 different screwy traffic situations that I was happy to be in the car for. my favorite was yesterday when I drove behind a hay truck that had 4 bails about to fall off and was dropping chunks of straw all over the place. Two minutes after I got past that guy, a mercedes decides to just wander into my lane. I honk, he looks, he comes over anyway, honk again and I got a friendly wave.... how nice of him. I'll be happy to be getting out of town, only to go to another crazy traffic town, this weekend.

Stay alert, they don't see you, count on that.

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »

Pete and I took HWY 6 to 1960 last Sunday on our way back from SA.

The cagers were absolutely nuts. No one seemed to know where they really wanted to go. They were changing lanes left and right. Commiting to turns and then going straight. It was wild. One guy kept changing lanes behind me and there was no place to go. It was bumper to bumper. He finally pulled up beside me and his window was down about 4 inches. I couldn't resist and told him what I thought about his driving skills. He pretty much slowed down after that and stayed in his lane.
We stopped for some water and to say our goodbyes because we were fixing to split trails. I told Pete that it was a damn good thing I don't carry a gun. His response was, that's why I don't. Damn idiots.

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »

My biggest pet peive is people talking on cell phone while they are driving I know i do it too but i keep the conversation small and keep an eye out for other vehichels. I know in hoston on two seprate situations I was run off the road both times by a woman talking on her phone and didnt even see me the second time i was so pissed that i got up next to her and started to cuse her out. Of course i looked like Darth vador cause i was wearing my jacket gloves and fullface helmet lol. She did not know what i  was talking about cause she was to busy talking to her friend about what to wear o ee her bf.
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »

Driving in Houston scares me. Of course, I'm  new but still! Tomorrow I will ride my bike for the FIRST time to work. Of course it's not my normal work location - that will happen Friday. But I'll take 288, thru construction, to beltway 8. Then around West to I10 - to the Memorial Hospital. SCARY! But it's killing me sitting in my truck on the drive home!  ;D (and I used to enjoy driving) But it still scares me. I think I have a route planned out to avoid I10 but parts of the beltway scare me and the way people drive. Sheesh! It's made me a better driver though.
Well behaved women rarely make history

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:21:06 PM »

Driving in Houston scares me. Of course, I'm  new but still! Tomorrow I will ride my bike for the FIRST time to work. Of course it's not my normal work location - that will happen Friday. But I'll take 288, thru construction, to beltway 8. Then around West to I10 - to the Memorial Hospital. SCARY! But it's killing me sitting in my truck on the drive home!  ;D (and I used to enjoy driving) But it still scares me. I think I have a route planned out to avoid I10 but parts of the beltway scare me and the way people drive. Sheesh! It's made me a better driver though.
what kind fo work do u do ?
and Yes I 10 is scary i used to go I 10 to get to baytown when i lived in Houston

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »

Don't forget you can take the HOV on the bike.

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

cyberchick

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »

Don't forget you can take the HOV on the bike.

Brian

For someone that's claustrophobic - the HOV lane is FREAKY scary to me! ROFL! And does the beltway have an HOV lane?

Oh and rod - I'm a nurse. (that's so cool that I can say that now! ROFL!)  O0
Well behaved women rarely make history

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 09:03:44 PM »

belt way does not have an HOV and cool Im A RAD tech AT Baylor

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 09:11:01 PM »

Houston sucks for bikes. Since I haven't had to be at work the last couple weeks I've been out and about at all hours of the day. Mostly in the car running errands and such, but I've had about 10 different screwy traffic situations that I was happy to be in the car for. my favorite was yesterday when I drove behind a hay truck that had 4 bails about to fall off and was dropping chunks of straw all over the place. Two minutes after I got past that guy, a mercedes decides to just wander into my lane. I honk, he looks, he comes over anyway, honk again and I got a friendly wave.... how nice of him. I'll be happy to be getting out of town, only to go to another crazy traffic town, this weekend.

I remember Houston.  I spent a week there one morning.   ???
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:24:05 PM »

hey I ,isss houston  I knew all the back roads take me an hour to go somewhere

I remember Houston.  I spent a week there one morning.   ???

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 11:24:39 PM »

I lived in west Houston, (Katy, 290 & Hwy 6), for 8 years, and think I drove East once on my motorcycle. Too many idiot cagers in one spot....   :o
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 06:19:37 AM »

Sun and Shadows.

Sun

If you are riding down the road and are blinded by the sun, so are the people behind you. Be mindful of them when turning or slowing. (obvious enough)

Shadows  (Your shadow points towards possible dangers.)

If your shadow is long and points in the direction that you are traveling, the people in front of you may be blinded. Watch for them to turn in front of you.

If your shadow is long and points directly right, the people entering your road from the right may be blinded...watch for them to pull out in front of you..... and so forth if your shadow points to the left and is long.

The longer your shadow is, the lower the sun and the more likely it is in somebody's eyes.

I read that somewhere. It has been useful to me so I passed it on.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:22:35 AM by VT-XS »
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 07:31:23 AM »

good stuff. martin. easy to think about,  but easily overlooked.

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

According to the NHTSB, 78% of all motorcycle accidents are the result of a automobile failing to yield the right of way (ie - left hand turns across traffic)

That's why I installed a headlight modulator and swear by it.  I have seen the difference in driver response at intersections, it's obvious that I'm more visible.

Another risky place to be is at the 4-5 o'clock or 7-8 o'clock position of a vehicle that is travelling the same direction as you on a multi-lane road.  I was in the left lane about 3 bike lengths back from a van in the right lane.  As the van passed a road that intersected from the right, a driver on that road pulled out to cross both lanes.  I watched his head as the van went by and he followed the van with his head, NEVER looked back again and proceeded.  He never knew I was there because I was hidden by the van (I should have been riding more defensively).  When he pulled out he stopped in my lane to wait on traffic to pass in the oncomming lanes.  I wrecked out uninjured fortunately, the bike faired worse.

Ride defensively and don't put yourself where you can't be seen.  Slow down, speed up. change lanes, change lane positions, use other vehicles as 'shields', don't hurry through yellow lights, but don't stop quick for a yellow light and get Cranberries-ended.  Get a headlight modulator.

BE SEEN.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal