Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Alpine Hotels?  (Read 3807 times)

TxVTXMike

• Rider
    • M&M eBiz
Re: Alpine Hotels?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »

Somewhere on 170

Fandango  (and some left over movie sets)

http://www.texasmountaintrail.com/home/index.asp?page=721

The Dom Perignon bottle box was still there under the rock.  I rented the movie when I got back.  Not much.

Easy to miss.  Someone else directed us to the spot.  Can stand on the rocks where Costner supposedly threw the bottle into the Rio Grande.  A good photo op.
Mike in Dallas ( http://tinyurl.com/yrmbxz )
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »

and the road we had to navigate down to get there  (I had a GoldWing at the time...NO WAY).  I helped my buddy down. with brakes locked...he still slid down the slope. Was scary. It was much worse behind the camera than that shown in the pic. 4+ inch rocks, deep ruts.

Spend some time following reddragon, dirt roads on the X are starting to become fun now!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

JWAustinVTX

• Tejano
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »

Somewhere on 170

Fandango  (and some left over movie sets)

http://www.texasmountaintrail.com/home/index.asp?page=721

The Dom Perignon bottle box was still there under the rock.  I rented the movie when I got back.  Not much.

Easy to miss.  Someone else directed us to the spot.  Can stand on the rocks where Costner supposedly threw the bottle into the Rio Grande.  A good photo op.

That is a great movie!   I hear that there will be blood and no country for old men were also filmed in the area.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »

Leaving November 10 to arrive on the 11th. Then heading home on the 15th. I'm ready to go.  :bikerider:
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Dusty

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

I was going to try and make it out there this weekend. Gonna be staying around Leakey. I couldn't believe how much further it still was from there to Big Bend. Have fun Mike!

TxVTXMike

• Rider
    • M&M eBiz
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

I was going to try and make it out there this weekend. Gonna be staying around Leakey. I couldn't believe how much further it still was from there to Big Bend. Have fun Mike!

Have u stayed at D'Rose motorcycle inn n Leakey?

http://www.droseinn.com/

Great rooms and a very nice pavilion for hanging around under, meeting other riders.

Mike in Dallas ( http://tinyurl.com/yrmbxz )
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »

Leaving November 10 to arrive on the 11th. Then heading home on the 15th. I'm ready to go.  :bikerider:
:redcard: Looks like Tinkerbell is going to be a grandmother on the 11th or 12th so my plans, and reservations, have been shifted 2 days, (now leaving the 12th and coming back on the 18th). Geez, this has been a tough one, but you can bet it's gonna be good!  :thumbup:

Leakey is about halfway there for me Bill. It's a LONG ride from Cedar Creek Lake. 525 miles. :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider:

Dusty

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »

:redcard: Looks like Tinkerbell is going to be a grandmother on the 11th or 12th so my plans, and reservations, have been shifted 2 days, (now leaving the 12th and coming back on the 18th). Geez, this has been a tough one, but you can bet it's gonna be good!  :thumbup:

Leakey is about halfway there for me Bill. It's a LONG ride from Cedar Creek Lake. 525 miles. :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider:

Hell Mike, That's a cake walk for an old dawg like you. It's 764 miles from here to Big Bend. And even with leaving from Leakey it's another 370 miles to Big Bend. No can do this weekend. I'm going to cruise and snooze!
And since I won't be any where near a computer this Saturday. Happy Birthday to you! The 7th is my middle son's b-day as well and he is coming down from San Angelo to celebrate his on the Frio and get off base for a while.

JWAustinVTX

• Tejano
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »

Noone I'm going with has ever been that far, or done an overnight for thatmatter.  Our ride from Austin is about 450 miles, and we plan on doing it in one day. matter.   Is that doable or are we crazy?   ???

Hell Mike, That's a cake walk for an old dawg like you. It's 764 miles from here to Big Bend. And even with leaving from Leakey it's another 370 miles to Big Bend. No can do this weekend. I'm going to cruise and snooze!
And since I won't be any where near a computer this Saturday. Happy Birthday to you! The 7th is my middle son's b-day as well and he is coming down from San Angelo to celebrate his on the Frio and get off base for a while.

JWAustinVTX

• Tejano
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »

Noone I'm going with has ever been that far, or done an overnight for that matter.  Our ride from Austin is about 450 miles, and we plan on doing it in one day.   Is that doable or are we crazy?   

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

Jason...by truck it takes me about 9 hrs. to make El Paso on I-10.  I guess it would depend on whether you are riding or smelling the roses. 
Typically, it takes me 4hrs. to get to Ft. Stockton by car.  So, yes it is, you can do it.  I made it from Amarillo to Denver in 7 hrs. and that was
440 miles.  But if traveling down Hwy. 90 make sure you have your gas lined-up, because past Del Rio the stations are few and far between.  :bikerider:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

JWAustinVTX

• Tejano
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

Jason...by truck it takes me about 9 hrs. to make El Paso on I-10.  I guess it would depend on whether you are riding or smelling the roses. 
Typically, it takes me 4hrs. to get to Ft. Stockton by car.  So, yes it is, you can do it.  I made it from Amarillo to Denver in 7 hrs. and that was
440 miles.  But if traveling down Hwy. 90 make sure you have your gas lined-up, because past Del Rio the stations are few and far between.  :bikerider:

Yep we planned on taking 90.  plan on leaving at 7am, so that gives us 11 hours of daylight.  I deffinetly need to look into the gas  ???

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »

Noone I'm going with has ever been that far, or done an overnight for that matter.  Our ride from Austin is about 450 miles, and we plan on doing it in one day.   Is that doable or are we crazy?   

Yeah, it's doable. Just ride, ride, ride.  :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider:

...and never pass up an opportunity to gas up.  :thumbup:

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:10 AM »

Thanks, Bill. Birthdays are getting too frequent for me these days, but from what I've been told I can't stop having them.  :c

You guys have a great time down on the Frio.  :thumbup:

JWAustinVTX

• Tejano
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

got home last night from our Big Bend trip. Great area and River Road was a blast.  In all clocked just over 1300 VTX miles since Friday morning.  I highly recommend the Highland Inn if you are staying a night in Alpine - $60 with tax, decent clean room and the staff was very bike friendly, with a nice little bar on the property.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal