Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tech Session  (Read 2254 times)

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
Re: Tech Session
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »

I may just pay for the valve check this time.  I did the desmog and still getting some low popping at low speeds.  Found a shop in Hurst that will do it for 170, plus doing some other work.  Want to see if this will help out.  Besides, I have had a hell of a time finding a 4 mm wrench, Sears and Pep Boys don't have them.

I realize this is a little late....but,.........  Check at Sears again for an 'ignition wrench set.'  It is a little pouch with about 10 very small combination wrenches (if they still make them).  They are SAE, but, there is one in the set that is almost a perfect 4mm.  I tie a string to the box end (don't want to take any chances of it falling inside the cover!!!) and it works real well.   I've done my valves probably 6 or 8 times, never a problem....except doing it is a royal pain in the Cranberries.  Hydraulic lifters would have been good.  Another thing that makes the job a LOT easier......take a piece of 3/8" or 1/4" hardwood dowel, cut a split in the end with a razor saw (X-acto), and mount a short piece of feeler gauge in the split.  A drop of super glue on both sides along the split and I drilled a small hole through the dowel and gauge and glued in a toothpick, sanded it flush (prevent the gauge from coming loose).  Make the dowel about 8 or 10 inches long.  This makes the thin gauges real easy to push in the gap without them flexing.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Tech Session
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »

Damn good idea  O0 O0 O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal