Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 1978 times)

k9paws

GPS
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »

Sure glad that we are back up, but guess I have to repost this question.
I'm  planning on buying a GPS  and would like some imput as to one that is reasonably priced and works well. I need one that I can download a map into, and one that talks. The Tom Tom Rider looks really good, but the price is a little high. Appreciate any input from you all.
Take Care and Ride Safe

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:29:13 AM »

give us your price range and we'll hook you up.

breaktrack

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »

My Garmin 2610 was $350.00 on E-bay and meets all your requirements. I uses the little SD memory cards instead of a hard drive like the 2620 and others. The little hard drives don't do well on bumps and such and are not recommended for motorcycles (although there are folks who are using them successfully). I purchased a 2GB SD card and it holds the entire U. S. and Canada map set with room to spare. It can talk to you as well but I have that function turned off as I don't need it.

Mac

BrunoK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:18:24 PM »

I had a Garmin GPS V on my VTX and it works well.  The problem with it is very little memory and is not upgradable.  I  recently switched to the Garmin Street pilot 2610 and like it.  I looked at the Rider, however, there are not enough of them arround to find any good deals yet.  Most of the car gps units are not waterproof so there are not as many options out there as I would like.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:04:25 PM »

I have the Garmin 276C.  It is a marine unit.  I like it.  Has a chip memory.  It came with a 128mb.  That holds like TX, LA, AR, OK.  Got the 512mb for the Colorado trip.  Holds pretty much all the states from the Mississippi River to Kalifornia.

As for price - try www.gpsdiscount.com.  Has a lot of info on a lot of different units.  Good prices and good service.

If you choose to try the 276C, consider the auto package.  Comes with most everything you need, including a power plug that talks.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

k9paws

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:00:28 PM »

Thanks All, This gives me a ideal of where to start.

k9paws

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »

Hey Dave,
Did you get my e-mail?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal