Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who do you trust?  (Read 3109 times)

Fatboy Walking

• Trailer Queen
Who do you trust?
« on: May 18, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »

Hello all. I have owned my '03 1800C for three years now. Bought it new in '05 -one of those over-stock deals. I love my X. I also have two buds that own Xs. One an '05 1300C, and the other an '03 1800C like mine. As of yet I have had no problems. My buddies have had a few "encounters" with some of the area Honda dealers. The bud with the 1800 swears he will never take his back to a couple of dealers (I don't want to name them as I am not sure that his gripes are warranted as far as I am concerned). The 1300 bud just had an issue buying tires that I am not too comfortable with. What I want to know is who in the Johnson/Tarrant/Dallas county area would ya'll suggest, for maintenance beyond my skills, that I should trust my bike to? I know Tapper is at the top of the list for this area, and his is probably in high demand. There is no work needed at this time, but I would like to get in touch with someone, just in case, before that time may come. I know that I am listed as a Trailer Queen, but I do not get a lot of time to spend on this board. But I do highly value everyones advise.

Thanks,
    Keith

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: Who do you trust?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28:28 PM »

Hey Keith, welcome to the board. 

I am not too familiar with Johnson and Tarrant county Honda dealers so I am afraid I am no help there.  In Dallas there is DFW Honda in Grapevine that has a Service guy that Honda Suzuki North refers to.  Make sense, don't it?   ;D  So, with that said, I would probably skip over Honda Suzuki North.  Also, Maxim in Allen (Collin County) has always been good to me and I have no problem going to them in a pinch.  Al Lambs may be an alternative for you, too.  However, I have no personal experience with them or horror stories for that matter. 

There are a lot of guys here from Tarrant County and Mid-cities that I am sure will be able to offer more insight on the dealers in that area.

Again, welcome to the board.   O0
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:13:40 AM by SouthernXer »

Fatboy Walking

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »

Thanks Brad.
I work in Hurst so DFW is just up the road so to speak. There is another in the area that has been sold to someone, or group, that also owns a Yamaha dealership somewhere in the DFW area. I was there with my 1800 bud and the gentlemen who where looking at his bike for a problem he was concerned about told him they were not that familiar with the Honda motorcycles yet. They really did a great job of instilling confidence in me to take mine there - yeh right.

I will try to be a more attentive member of this board. Thanks again.

Keith

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »

I won't go to Honda Suzuki North again, myself.  Who do *I* trust? I trust ME.  So I'm doing what I can to learn to do this stuff for myself. 
My now long gone VTX...

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

Thanks Brad.
I work in Hurst so DFW is just up the road so to speak. There is another in the area that has been sold to someone, or group, that also owns a Yamaha dealership somewhere in the DFW area. I was there with my 1800 bud and the gentlemen who where looking at his bike for a problem he was concerned about told him they were not that familiar with the Honda motorcycles yet. They really did a great job of instilling confidence in me to take mine there - yeh right.
I will try to be a more attentive member of this board. Thanks again.

Keith
Keith, although right now that doesn't sound like a place to frequent, soon I will bet it will be. I'd much rather go to a place thats honest and will tell you they can't do something than go to one that says they can, but can't. ;D WELCOME!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:08:09 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:49:55 PM »

If you get some time, make the short drive to Austin and go to Georgetown Honda..

They are the meaning of the term "bad asses"!!
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »

+1 Maxim in Allen.  They've been good to me.

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

vtxridersg

• Old Timer
  • 06 VTX1800C Spec 2
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

+1 again for Maxim in Allen! If you need to take it in speak, to Nathan, he is very honest and really knows his stuff. I've had nothing but good experience there. O0 O0 BTW, Welcome to the board!!
Minds are like parachutes....they only function when open!!

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »

When I bought my bike new from Al Lamb's last year, I bought the Powerhouse pre-paid maintenance program with it.  (Wish I wouldn't have, but I didn't know at the time what a resource this board was going to be).   But anyway, I've taken it in 3 or 4 times for scheduled maintenance & oil changes and it appears they actually do the stuff they tell you they're doing, they're pretty quick about it, courteous, good cust service, I don't have any complaints.  Now, whether or not they have a VTX guru back there or anything along those lines, I don't know, because I haven't had any problems with the bike...   Just saying what little experience I have with them is good.

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

gsboriqua

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »

I've used Maxim and Al Lamb's.  No problems with either one.

Phattened up by www.stumpwerx.com
Custom work by www.cat5customs.com

jackandangie

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »

We've always had great service out of D/FW Honda in Grapevine.

Jack

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »

Where is maxim at in plano? I'm heading that way in a few...
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »

Where is maxim at in plano? I'm heading that way in a few...

It's in Allen right north of Plano on 75.  Take the McDermott exit and you'll see it hidden behind the Harley Dealer.   ;D    Call me when you get here Snake, I'll have a cold beer waiting on you.  I am 5 minutes from Maxim.   O0

Fatboy Walking

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »

Thanks to all for the information.

The dealer that was recently bought by the Yamaha people is the same dealer I bought my X from back in '05. I have done all the oil and filter changes. I took it to Touring Specialties in Mansfield to get a once over before I took a trip up to Sturgis in '06. But they told me that if there were ever any problems with the engine that they would not be able to do any work on it. Nice people at Touring Specialties. I will be coming up on 16,000 miles sometime this summer and another trip to Sturgis, so I was wondering if my valves needed to be checked - or anything else for that matter - but I don't have anyone that I know who I would trust doing something like that. I can do the "bolt on" stuff ("#$%&@* Kuryakyn instructions"), but I am not a mechanic. It sounds like Al Lamb's may be closest to me after DFW, but I am going to try an get by DFW, Al Lamb and Maxim to chat with them. Sort of like interviewing a family doctor I guess. I don't want to give my baby over to just anyone. Heck i may just ride on down to Austin and see them also.

Again, thanks. I really appreciate your advise.

If anyone is down at Luckenbach the weekend of June 14, I will be there throwing back some Lone Stars that afternoon under the trees.

Keith

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »

If anyone is down at Luckenbach the weekend of June 14, I will be there throwing back some Lone Stars that afternoon under the trees.

Keith

The wife and i will be down there that weekend, too.  We'll be in the truck, though.  May have to look for you.   O0
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal