Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lined up with an R1  (Read 3834 times)

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
Lined up with an R1
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:54:54 PM »

Out for a night ride and ended up on the northbound access road of 290 when I pulled up to a light in the lane next to a Yamaha R1.  For those who don't know, one of the fastest, lightest, most race ready bikes in production.  He looked over at me, raised his visor and said nice bike.  I politely thanked him, reciprocated the compliment, and thought nothing of it.  With the light still red, he laid onto the throttle and lowered his visor back down.  I did nothing, trying to go for the quiet but deadly effect.  The light turned green and we both unloaded on the gas.  His higher red line took him about a bike and a half length ahead of mine.....until I shifted to second.  At that point the one and a half lengths he had on me were reduced to none.  I then shifted into third and we were neck and neck until we hit 90 before shifting again, and slowing down shortly there after.

I have to say, I new my bike had power, but that is amazing!  Now if we had to drag a knee doing 90, I think I would have let him win.. ;D
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

KEBS

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, Texas
Re: Lined up with an R1
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:59:46 PM »

Man I wish I could have been there to see that.   8) 8)
Becca
2002 Silver VTX 1800C - no more it's gone gone
2007 FXSTSSE (HD Soft Tail Springer Screaming Eagle 110)
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

http://www.myspace.com/spankmesweet

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:04:56 PM »

At the next light, he told me he had it at WOT, shifting at the redlines.  I mentioned to him that I too ran it at WOT after 1st gear, but hit the rev limiter in second.  I wish I could have been a spectator for that one as well!  :o
'05 VTX 1800 F25 Vance & Hines Bigshots, Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro-R, Power Commander, Answers to Bad Cranberries

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:16:53 PM »

What bike were you on?

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:22:07 PM »

ANy pics or video??????..............Just kidding. Great to hear the X can show them who is boss.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »

Don't let VTXDEMON see this thread...he may ask for a rematch!  BTW, was the rider a crazy Costa Rican, by any chance??  ;)

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »

I then shifted into third and we were neck and neck until we hit 90 before shifting again, and slowing down shortly there after.

I have to say, I new my bike had power, but that is amazing!  Now if we had to drag a knee doing 90, I think I would have let him win.. ;D

ummmm...........
his bike does 90 in first gear..... but if you were racing a Costa Rican owned R1 the numbers might not matter...

motorcycle    hp (@ rpm)    torque @ rpm)   quarter-mile*     top-gear roll-ons * (sec.)     weight             last tested
                                                             (sec. @ mph)    60-80 mph
VTX1800 ('02)   94.6 @ 5000   105.1 @ 3250   12.21 @ 107.48    4.12                               758               4/02

YZF-R1 ('04)   158.3 @ 12,500   74.0 @ 10,000   10.7 @ 145.3    2.75                                 449         6/04

i'm not trying to be a jackass. most big cruisers would get the jump on a sportbike for about 100-150 yards or so. then a liter bike will walk away.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:00:10 AM by Davesax36 »

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:42:59 AM »

I was riding my 05 1800 F, but with the mods listed in my signature, which probably helped.  No video or pics, and the rider was not costa rican.  It was an asian guy.  Anyway, thanks for numbers.  I don't know what to say about how it looks on paper compared to how it played out on the street.  The way he launched, as well as the way I saw his bike shift, he wasn't going easy on me.  I have a friend with an R1, maybe we can stage something for interested onlookers?

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »

;D ;D ;D
You can be thankful my DPS "buddies", from Ft Davis area, weren't there to witness that!!!
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

They're fast. the torque advantage that you have at the beginning will scare some inexperienced riders and make them think they're gonna lose the whole race. If they stay on the throttle and wind out the rev range, you'll have trouble. The rider makes more difference than anything in a drag race. VTXDemon has an '06 R1 and he used to "race" a mustang that I've heard was pretty crazy. He only weighs 130 lbs soaking wet. He would be tough to beat because the bike is basically just pulling itself around. I weigh almost 100lbs more than him and don't think I should race him either on the vtx or on my sportbike.....

It's nice to know that you've got that kind of bottom end, though. makes squirting around in traffic a lot more fun.

set up that race and video it. I haven't found very many VTX vids anywhere online. We should be showing off.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »

maybe you can get TxGaBoy to be the "first on the scene" so you can have a good race and not get nipped.

dannboss

• Tejano
  • Mckinney, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 09:23:11 AM »

Haha.  Yeah, let's make sure he "shows up on an anonymous tip" before anyone else does.  I have a friend with an R1, and have already approached him for a race.  His exact words were "you will probably win unless we are starting from 100".  In his sportbike "clan", most agree that there are cruisers out there that can lay the power down on them.  If I decide to race him, a video camera will be in place!

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »

good. do it and get it online. the VTX is a lot easier to launch and drag than the liter bikes.

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »

Haha.  Yeah, let's make sure he "shows up on an anonymous tip" before anyone else does.  I have a friend with an R1, and have already approached him for a race.  His exact words were "you will probably win unless we are starting from 100".  In his sportbike "clan", most agree that there are cruisers out there that can lay the power down on them.  If I decide to race him, a video camera will be in place!

RACE....RACE....RACE....RACE....RACE....RACE.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D............And don't forget to post the video  :D :D :D :D
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

KEBS

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, Texas
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »

Yeah and let us know so some of us can go too!!! :)
Becca
2002 Silver VTX 1800C - no more it's gone gone
2007 FXSTSSE (HD Soft Tail Springer Screaming Eagle 110)
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

http://www.myspace.com/spankmesweet
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal