Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moped/scooter knowledge  (Read 2360 times)

ThinMan

• Rider
Moped/scooter knowledge
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:42:46 PM »

I'm hunting a scooter or moped for my daughter. She has a little over a mile to travel and with a motorbike can park right at the class room buildings.

We've got two months before school starts. I'm looking at one on Ebay. I'd prefer a step thru with larger diameter rims, but there are some Chinese ones that impress with the scooter size rims. They're 4 cycle, 150 cc, & electric start for about $1100.  I think the brand is Sunl. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-2006-Deluxe-150cc-w-alarm-remote-scooter_W0QQitemZ4641375828QQcategoryZ6719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would like something like this.  http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/162614686.html  That one has 10,000 miles on it.

Anyone have info on them?  Thanks.

Dallas Retro

Re: Moped/scooter knowledge
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:30:38 AM »

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the 70ish greeter at the local Walmart has been riding a really inexpensive, off-brand scooter he bought at PepBoys, to work for three years. 

He just recently bought a new, larger one (from a dealer, not from PepBoys), and I believe he said it was a Sunel, or something like that. 

They seem to be knock-offs of other, better known brands, and the biggest problem seems to be with getting replacement parts (so I'm told).

ThinMan

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »

Thanks Dallas Retro. I've seen those on Ebay. They are impressive. Electric start. 150 cc. 4 cycle. But the availability of parts and dependability is a concern.   

They're Chinese. I bought a small Chinese mill from Harbor Freight last year.  Used it a couple of times and then over did it. Spun the small nylon drive gear. The gear replacement was inexpensive enough at $1, but it took 4 months to get.  I want to steer clear of that.

Philanderer

• Old Timer
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »

Here in Houston they sell them at Apollo Scooters. I was hunting for a scooter for Susan's oldest son and went there. They sold a couple of Chinese brands. He said they had great designs because they bought the rights to use the designs from major manufacturers like Yamaha and Benelli. He said the problem is they use bad materials to make them. He said they were made out of pot metal. He recomended a Korean company called KYMCO and said they were priced higher than the Chinese scooters but were holding up as well as his Italian line of Aprila Scarebo scooters.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:49:02 AM by Philanderer »
I showed up at a campsite where 4 of my biker co-workers were staying. We were going on a morning ride to get breakfast. Two of the guys that were supposed to ride waved me on and said "We can't make this one". My boss started his bike and looked at me and said "A lot of people 'own' motorcycles".

Gothicguy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »

My best friend has a Honda Metropolitan, that he loves.  He highly recommends it.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »

that ebay one looks fun. I wouldn't mind getting one, cuz my commute is only 2 miles. bikes don't even get warmed up before I get to school. let us know what you end up with.

Philanderer

• Old Timer
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »

I bought the suzuki Burgman 400 used with 690 miles on it.
I showed up at a campsite where 4 of my biker co-workers were staying. We were going on a morning ride to get breakfast. Two of the guys that were supposed to ride waved me on and said "We can't make this one". My boss started his bike and looked at me and said "A lot of people 'own' motorcycles".

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal