Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Made a dumb mistake today  (Read 1095 times)

wpxrider

• Old Timer
Made a dumb mistake today
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »

:banghead: This morning rode the bike to work. After I parked it I had to move it. We were working on a truck next to it and didn't want to take a chance on scratching it. I left the key on. 5hrs later I realize I don't have my key and the bike is totally dead. We jumped it from a battery in the back of  the truck. But I cannot believe I left the key in the bike. I never leave the key in my bike, till now.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Made a dumb mistake today
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

I've walked away once with the key in the ignition and later realized after about 5 minutes. went back and bike was still there  :what:  That was close. never has it happened again.   :banghead:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »

I bet we have all done that but some won't admit it................:)
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »

I did almost the same thing only did not leave the key in the on position just left it in the ignition all day.It was during the Lonestar Rally a few years back parked on the Strand lol
Alvin,Texas

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »

I have left mine several times, I have been lucky, each and every time has been at home, well once at work. The bad thing is, I think I'm turning senile, in the last 30 days, I hve left it twice. I'm just 38  :what:
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:18:44 AM »

No can't say I never did that!!  ::)
 ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »

I've only done that on purpose.
It's all just part of the adventure!

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »

Add me to this list. Luckily a biker friend parked next to me and brought me the key.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »

I did that several years ago.  I walked into a friends house, came back out about an hour later and the light was on.  Luckily it started. :-\
Chunk the llama.

larryw

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »

I moved to Houston from New Mexico in 1981. I never took the key out of my bike while living in NM. When we moved here, we found an apartment in the Greenspoint area. I remember several times, looking for my key in the morning and not being able to find it. I would run to the parking lot, cursing myself, only to find my bike still there, key in the ignition. I remember thinking..."People around here are prety honest" :ohwow:
2004 VTX 1800N

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »

That's one of the reasons I disagree with the MSF teaching that you should always use the kill switch to shut it off. I ONLY use the key. Seen too many people shut it off with the kill switch, start a conversation, and walk away.
02 1800C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »

I always leave my key in the ignition. I've got the key mod done to it so it doesn't show. But I always use the key to turn it off and the one in my pocket to lock the handle bars EVERY TIME. Even those few times when I pull the key from the ignition.

Ask me how many times I've gotten ready and saddled up only to find the handlebars were still locked. :looney:
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

That's one of the reasons I disagree with the MSF teaching that you should always use the kill switch to shut it off. I ONLY use the key. Seen too many people shut it off with the kill switch, start a conversation, and walk away.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »

Very first road trip I was on we had a prankster (Chad knows him) that liked to take unattended items from bikes and make you sweat - especially keys.  I've only done this once at home.  He kind of taught me a tough lesson.  Although I was not the butt of his joke on that one, on that trip.  Not to say I didn't catch h@!! from him.

He later came to be known as Van Diesel - tried to convert his wifes bike to diesel fuel - our whole group had a good laugh and beer on that one.   :c

wpxrider

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »

I always use the key to turn it off. But I shut it off then cranked it right back up to move it. I was talking to another guy and put the stand down with it in gear and I guess I forgot. Made them watch me put the key in my pocket this morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal