Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 13672 times)

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »

Well, point #1 has been in place for a while now.  All other points are good thoughts though. :thumbup:
Chunk the llama.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2009, 07:33:32 AM »

I agree with Dusty.  The hill country is too pretty, the roads too twisty, narrow and potholy to make safe riding for large group rides.  Also cagers, many who live in the area, probably don't appreciate being hung behind a long line of bikes any more than we like getting hung behind a slow cager on a cell phone.

Brock, what about a Hill Country Site thread that folks can list places to see and things to do in the hill country.  No routes yet - we would put those together on a "to/from" basis centering on the park.  As previously posted, a couple of places could be Stonehenge, Devil's Sinkhole, Enchanted Rock, Big Trees tour - places like that.  I know there are a lot of places I haven't been or want to see that can be listed.  Places like the Tunnels, roads like Old #9 and the Humps are very close to the park for a short hop.  The Sinkhole is near Rocksprings so would take better part of a day and could include the best of the Sisters.

As for donations, perhaps we could pass the hat at the Tri/Quad city MnG.  A buck or two, less than what we probably tip the wait staff, each time would probably surprise us by the time BBT rolls around.

Thank you folks for all the work you do!!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Demon

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »

I agree with Dusty.  The hill country is too pretty, the roads too twisty, narrow and potholy to make safe riding for large group rides.  Also cagers, many who live in the area, probably don't appreciate being hung behind a long line of bikes any more than we like getting hung behind a slow cager on a cell phone.

Brock, what about a Hill Country Site thread that folks can list places to see and things to do in the hill country.  No routes yet - we would put those together on a "to/from" basis centering on the park.  As previously posted, a couple of places could be Stonehenge, Devil's Sinkhole, Enchanted Rock, Big Trees tour - places like that.  I know there are a lot of places I haven't been or want to see that can be listed.  Places like the Tunnels, roads like Old #9 and the Humps are very close to the park for a short hop.  The Sinkhole is near Rocksprings so would take better part of a day and could include the best of the Sisters.

As for donations, perhaps we could pass the hat at the Tri/Quad city MnG.  A buck or two, less than what we probably tip the wait staff, each time would probably surprise us by the time BBT rolls around.

Thank you folks for all the work you do!!

ROCKNROLL for president!!!!!   :notworthy:

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »

As one that would have loved to make it to BBT6 and didn't, maybe I'm not supposed to post here?? :ohwow: Just kidding all! ;D
There are those who can and do not, those that can and do, and those who think it should have been better without themselves having to do anything. It will always be this way, no matter the group type you have. I wish I coulda' made it, but, I guess next year will have to do. I appreciate the work done to make it happen even though I couldn't make it: it was there if I could have been, that matters! :congrats:
Only one I haven't made, I'm sure it was good . Not knowing what did or didn't go on, I can't gripe about much except one thing... those of you religous people need to pray for rain so we can have a g%dda$m :cuss: Fire!! It's been a long dry spell with no campfire!!  :cuss: That sucks! Buck up and pray!!  my 2.
Ps. missed seeing all my friends. Can't go too much longer. Guess I'll have to try and make the Aug. Sprung thing! ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »

Well, point #1 has been in place for a while now.  All other points are good thoughts though. :thumbup:

I was thinking more along the lines of an additional different shirt. Just anything to offer an incentive to get money in early. I remember the first rally's where we weren't sure what we were going to be able to do until a few weeks before rally time. Maybe it was just me that didn't know. I do remember I spent arround $300 + - hoping that I would get reimbursed, and I did. As for as I know this situation still happens occasionally.

I guess what my intentions are is to get enough money in the pot, understanding that we are non-profit and can't have a pot, to be able to have one or two functions a year where the funds are there ahead of time. Just trying to figure a way to take some of the uncertainty out of it. If we work hard at it now, who knows, maybe BBTX could be a free event. People just need to understand that what they give is a gift to the xriders. Not dues and not a loan, a gift. I know there is more involved than I'm aware of when you start getting ahead in funds, but if members donated as little as $10 a month occasionally it could build up fast. A BOD member from each region could hold the money, keep a running balance and send it to the organizer of each event at the time it is needed.Then again I guess this could create other problems because there will always be someone that will want to accuse someone of stealing funds or get ticked because one region donated more than another region. Heck I don't know but there has got to be a way without having to organize into an official riding club with dues and all the crap that goes with it, which non of us want. I'll shut up now.  :couch:

EXCEPT TO SAY GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN SNAKE!!!!!   :thumbup:

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

Ditto on the "WELCOME BACK SNAKE!!"  I know I'm thread-jacking but it is good to hear from you.  How has that busted up shoulder and ribcage doing?  You riding anytime soon?

Back to the topic - as a suggestion, perhaps someone can get Gumbo and/or Dusty to voluteer as executive chefs.  I have a pretty good jambalaya that makes about 5-10 gallons.  Should feed a few of us.  We can double it up but I don't have the pots.  Also, I seem to recall a couple of others saying they make pretty good something or other.  Maybe Kenny can pop a couple of smaller pigs and we can que em up.  Sure wish one of us had access to some Axis deer.  They are OUTSTANDING on the pit.  I think our group has far better cooks then the usual caterers do.  That said, cooks require some love, care, and frequent basting with whisky and beer.  A sweet kiss or two wouldn't hurt either!!  Hooter - you get Gumbo!!

Brock, if or hopefully, when we get some sites, we could start making routes that perhaps you could post like Cliff does for Coloradical.  As for copies, if we get some routes ready far enough in advance, I can make copies at work.  Not all at one time but - well - uh - well, you know spend some weekend time and get a few reams done at a time.  Heck - checking out routes between now and next year would be a ton-o-fun.  I'm in!

Ride long and prosper!

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »

Hey Snake, nice to hear from you.  I did not know about the accident until the BBT, get well soon where you can ride again.
Earl

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »

I think our group has far better cooks then the usual caterers do.  That said, cooks require some love, care, and frequent basting with whisky and beer.  A sweet kiss or two wouldn't hurt either!!  Hooter - you get Gumbo!!
I'm in!
Ride long and prosper!

[/quote]

Now hold on there RocknRoll, I am all about sending the day cooking  :lunch:, in fact nothing I like more other than riding. I like the idea of a sweet kiss or two but Hooter  :snapoutofit: That just aint gonna work  :boxing:
I had no idea what to expect on this one, but all kidding aside, with a year to work on it, my bet is we could come up with killer eats, I am up for it.  :agree:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2009, 05:15:52 PM »

When I got to stand around drinking whiskey when Dusty cooked several years ago, I never even missed my bike.  I did, however pass out on the hill, spent the night there until a light shower the next morning woke me up.  I apparently got quite full of that oak barrel cured corn.  I certainly got all my vegetable that night.  Don't remember eating Dusty's cooking but there wasn't any left the next morning!!  Must have been the ice I was using.  That has never happened to me before. :c

Dusty

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »

When I got to stand around drinking whiskey when Dusty cooked several years ago, I never even missed my bike.  I did, however pass out on the hill, spent the night there until a light shower the next morning woke me up.  I apparently got quite full of that oak barrel cured corn.  I certainly got all my vegetable that night.  Don't remember eating Dusty's cooking but there wasn't any left the next morning!!  Must have been the ice I was using.  That has never happened to me before. :c

Actually Pete, that was BBTI I believe. Everything was impromptu. German Pete towed the pit down from Dallas which belonged to BDC who couldn't come. And hasn't posted in months now. Tapper and a couple of others seasoned the briskets and Tom and I sat there all day tending the fire and drinking silver bullets. That's before Gay had to tear the stage down. People came by constantly hanging out and shooting the breeze. The following year Tom donated his son's pit and Annette and I cooked the briskets. That's when we made the mistake of allowing people to serve themselves and ran out of brisket. I got the blame for triming too much fat off. AMSMEDIC (JOE, Mr. Camera) was eating out of the scrap bucket accusing me of waisting fat.... uh, I mean meat.   :lunch:

Anyway, looks like we are beating a dead horse here. Because there seems like there is not much interest. Perhaps we can do something at THE SPRING THING on a smaller scale. If we have recovered from our trip to Wyoming by then.  :c Although August isn't exactly Gumbo and jumbalia weather. Maybe with some ice cold watermellon to chase it with it would work.  :c

You gonna be able to ride tomorrow?

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »

Oh, on the point of the tshirts.  TBIRD and I were thinking the official Texas X-Rider design should be on the left breast and then lets design something new on the back every year. 

TBIRD suggested an armadillo riding a VTX through a patch of blue bonnets with the blue bonnets flying.  Something like that but diffferent every year.  I could come up with alot of stuff on this.  Hey, an armadillo smelling the bumper...ha! 

I'm going to start designing for next year.  If it is not accepted I'll have them made like I have done before.  I've already got a new VTX shirt designed and will try to get them made in the next few months.  Watch for the post!

-Iceman

P.S.  Hey Snake..........we missed you this year.  Wasn't the same without you!  Get well and we'll see you again!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:16:06 AM by icemanhail »

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

I personaly think that the rear design on the shirts needs to remain unchanged. Come on guys its our logo. As for the front changing every year, that makes sense.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal