Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lake Sam Rayburn Ride 10-14-2006 (CANCELLED 10-12-06)  (Read 7161 times)

Lanky

• Rider
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Ride 10-14-2006 (UPDATED)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 03:17:24 PM »

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Greg

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Ride 10-14-2006 (CANCELLED 10-12-06)
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »

my riding club is talking about a sat - sunday outing there, does anyone know of a good place to rent water side cabins there??
I think we are going 11-4 and 11-5

Dan,
We have stayed several times at both Twin Dikes Marina and at Shirley Creek Marina.  Twin Dikes is a bit easier to get to (off 255) while Shirley Creek is on the northern end of the lake in Etoile.
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »

my riding club is talking about a sat - sunday outing there, does anyone know of a good place to rent water side cabins there??

Dan,
We have stayed several times at both Twin Dikes Marina and at Shirley Creek Marina.  Twin Dikes is a bit easier to get to (off 255) while Shirley Creek is on the northern end of the lake in Etoile.

thanks, can you tell me if they have cabins or just motel rooms.

I want everyone to know how easy it was to pick up on the twin dikes, but i didnt do it     ;D ;D
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »

Dan,

thanks, can you tell me if they have cabins or just motel rooms.

I want everyone to know how easy it was to pick up on the twin dikes, but i didnt do it     ;D ;D

Yeah, I know.  Even having spent countless weekends there and in the general area, I still chuckle every time I say it.  Both have cabins that are quite comfortable.  Here are the links:

http://www.twindikesmarina.com/sys-tmpl/door/
and
http://www.shirleycreek.com/
Ronald Reagan

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 07:05:24 AM »

if you would like to suggest a few good roads to ride tooo

www.pepsX.com

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 07:37:47 AM »

I would not dare attempt to hijack here, but I will say that wherever you ride, make sure to include Hwy. 7 in your plans.  Especially the area south of Hemphill.  Very shady, very twisty, a few blind hiils.  Plus, you cross Toledo Bend.  Also, you aren't far from Lufkin/Nacogdoches.
Ronald Reagan

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »

I would not dare attempt to hijack here, but I will say that wherever you ride, make sure to include Hwy. 7 in your plans.  Especially the area south of Hemphill.  Very shady, very twisty, a few blind hiils.  Plus, you cross Toledo Bend.  Also, you aren't far from Lufkin/Nacogdoches.

I think you may mean Hwy 87 south of Hemphill.  That is a pretty ride.  Great sweepers, hills and trees.  It is part of the Big Sam Ride but is worth riding any time you are in the area.  Depending on where on Sam you are staying, you can cut over at Yellowpine on 2426 to Pineland.  A lot of the secondary/third-ary roads are nice rides.  The whole area between the lakes is hilly, forested with nice sweeping type curves.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »

thanks big Pete.

www.pepsX.com

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »

Vernell,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.  Yesterday was a day that you hate to see come but sometimes it takes death to open up the eyes of others. 

I think yesterday was an eye opening experience for many of the younger riders that I ride with with CIA and I for one was glad to see that.  You could hear several of the riders who thought that nothing could / would ever happen to them stating that "man that could be me lying there". 

Thanks again

'02 C with a few extras

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 08:59:47 AM »

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.  Yesterday was a day that you hate to see come but sometimes it takes death to open up the eyes of others. 

I think yesterday was an eye opening experience for many of the younger riders that I ride with with CIA and I for one was glad to see that.  You could hear several of the riders who thought that nothing could / would ever happen to them stating that "man that could be me lying there". 

Thanks again

Vernel

My sympathies for your friend. A few months ago, one of the friendliest guys I ever met was killed on his motorcycle. It was very depressing. He was fifty-three years old, experienced, very capable, prudent and rode a gold wing...and was killed anyway. To be young and invincible stacks the odds higher.

On a lighter note. Would you go ahead and pick the date that you are going to ride up to Sam Rayburn next year. I thought I might go ahead and schedule an indoor activity for that day. ;) ;) 8)
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

ConnRadd

• Old Timer
  • Houston, Tx (Willowbrook Area)
    • Photo Gallery
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »

Bro, sorry to hear the bad news. We'll keep you and your friend's family in our prayers.
2006 M109R Silver
2004 VTX 1300c Candy Apple Red (SOLD)

http://www.myspace.com/mspraberry

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Ride 10-14-2006 (UPDATED)
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make this ride.  Had a friend that was killed in an accident and the funeral is on Sat. 

Going to postphone until another date ..........sorry.

Vernel...I am so sorry.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal