Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SOMETHING I WANT TO SAY  (Read 4189 times)

hillcountryrider

SOMETHING I WANT TO SAY
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »

Re: Sgt Stever Ride
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »    Quote

8)Allright, whoever called sgtstever "Sir" is very wrong... sorry

In keeping with military history, one cannot call a SSG, "Sir", after all, he does "WORK", for a living....

Just trying to keep things straight....thanks.

Thanks again, Steve, for all u do!!   

Report to moderator    Logged

Texas Georgia Boy who

OK I  have been thinking about this thread since I read it.........I am assuming it was in GOOD nature ( at least I am hoping it was)....... BUT .........LET ME GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT CONCERNING THIS COMMENT..............

There are two ways that you can look at the connotations that this comment implies:

1. That non-commissioned officers should not be addressed as Sir, “ because they WORK for a living” thus implying that commissioned officers do not work for a living ...........the world is celebrating the death of the lord of terrorism in Iraq ......... who do you think were flying the jets that delivered the bombs that blew his *ss to hell ........ A COMMISIONED OFFICER or several commissioned officers  ........... tell the families of the fallen officers in every American war to this date that their father, son, brother, uncle, cousin, grandpa wasn’t working to make this world a better place for people to live. Tell that to the parents of the young officers who have died in this current war.

I think that it is quite clear that they do work and work hard and long for their country the United States of America.

2. The other side of this statement to think about is: that the non com officer does not want or wish to be called SIR.... ..... NOW I KNOW THAT THE BANTERING BETWEEN RANKS ( COMS vs NON-COMS) IS ALL IN JIST.................. BUT ........ when we address someone as SIR outside of the military arena isn’t it usually done out of respect .... I think so ........ therefore when a soldier (no matter what branch of the service they are in) is in the civilian world and someone addresses them with respect there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with addressing them as SIR or MA’AM after all don’t we address someone we wish to show respect to with the inclusion of sir or ma’am ...... I know that was sure the way that I was raised ......... can’t speak for anyone else.

So in my HUMBLE opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with addressing a non commissioned officer or any other enlisted service member as SIR/ MA’AM.

PS ........ I am the one who called Steve Sir and I will do it again.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:47:29 PM by hillcountryrider »

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
Re: SOMETHING I WANT TO SAY
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »

respectfully,

i think youre taking this way out of context and way too seriously.  in the air force, we called everyone sir regardless of commision or not.  but the old saying "dont call me sir, i work for a living" is exactly like you mentioned, just a joke.  its not aimed at the "sirs" that, as you said, fly and are field commanders.  its aimed at the ones that sit back in offices and fill out paperwork all day.

yes, saying "sir" to anyone is a sign of respect and i was raised that way as well.  but, just because saying it is out of respect, not saying it does not imply disrespect.  i almost always say it, but when i dont im sure the people that im talking to dont think i mean any desrespect by not using that title.

im quite certain that any family member of a fallen C.O. knows that their relative was working for the country whether they were flying, fighting, or sitting in an office that was bombed.  and im quite sure that none of em would be offended by the age-old jibe of "dont call me sir, i work for a living"......

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 07:00:43 PM »

OK, time for me to throw in my two cents........yes, if you ARE IN the military and call me "Sir", I will take offense, and more than likely "smoke" the AppleSauce out of you with push-ups, iron mikes, koala's and whatever else incredibley stupid exercises I can think of....and yes, i do enjoy "smoking" the AppleSauce out of a new private....call me old school, but there are still some things in the military that I believe should still exist....i.e., TarterSauce stress cards and those who believe in them.  If you are confused or have no idea what I am am talking about, pm me, I'll explain.

On the other hand, if you are prior military or never been in the military, then I completley except being called sir....although I do feel uncomfortable being called "sir" by someone older than me.  Not to cause offense, I was just raised to called gentlemen older than me, "sir".

I joined the Army because I thought it was my duty as an American citizen.  I joined in 1990, long before 9/11, and I have stayed in long after 9/11.  It burns my Cranberries when I get a new private in the Army and he tells me he joined because of 9/11 or because he needed money for college....pardon my French...but TarterSauce you, we don't need you.  I don't want a trooper who thinks about there country after a tragedy, or when they can't make tuition, because all they think about is themselves, and thats what gets people killed in war...if you need an example, pm me.  I have served this country honorably for 16 years and have been through 2 wars (Desert Storm & Iraqi Freedon), if someone on the outside wants to call me "sir", I take absolutley no offense whatsoever.  

I wish I could tell you in words what it means for someone to come up to you and tell you "thank you for serving".  Folks, I feel almost embarresed when someone tells me that.  It's my job and my honor to serve my country and my commander in chief, President Bush.  Y'all might not agree with him or the way he runs things, but let me tell you, he has done more for the Military than any other President in a long, long time.  I serve under him and will continue to do so without question until my time is done.

I know this is something that doesn't belong on this board or something that some will disagree with, but I just wanted to get on my "soapbox" for a minute.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 07:03:49 PM »

Having never served , but beeing raised in Texas I use yes mam, no mam, yes sir,and no sir with no thought of rank only respect.... sgtstever sir!!!! and yes I do this to YOUNG or OLD... Can't we all just get along!!!!! X-luv to all ride safe111 :D :D O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:03:28 PM »

Having never served , but beeing raised in Texas I use yes mam, no mam, yes sir,and no sir with no thought of rank only respect.... sgtstever sir!!!! and yes I do this to YOUNG or OLD... Can't we all just get along!!!!! X-luv to all ride safe111 :D :D O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D

I agree, this is the way I was raised, and have never served. I respect Steve and will say sir because I believe he is protecting my way of life. I also believe there is a fellowship between servicemen. One thing about it, I have learned that it is way to easy to take things wrong on these forums. It is way different than dealing face to face. I don't think either side is wrong on this, just have a different opinion and a different way of life. So lets set up something for August for the statewide, and not on the 5th because I think I have that weekend booked, depending on Taz and Michelle's party. Hopefully the RedDragon will be back in service by then. I usually do work myself, hate waiting on stealers to do it.

David

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 09:08:27 PM »

you said it all steve,  O0 your my hero O0 O0 ;D ;D
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:10:37 PM »

you said it all steve,  O0 your my hero O0 O0 ;D ;D

Smartass.....LOL....you know I love you guys, but not in a brokeback kinda of way! O0
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

hillcountryrider

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »

On the other hand, if you are prior military or never been in the military, then I completley except being called sir....although I do feel uncomfortable being called "sir" by someone older than me.  Not to cause offense, I was just raised to called gentlemen older than me, "sir".

[/quote]

I am not trying to cause disharmony on our web site , it was just eating at me and I needed to say something .... I enjoy talking with all of you and appreciate all of the feedback that I have received on this site and the national site.

Steve, I used to feel the same way about calling people younger than myself SIR or Maam , but as I have gotten older it has become no longer an issue, because there are so many people younger than my self that I pay respect to by adressing them as sir or maam ..... I for one am very proud of the younger generations of our country .... in my opinion they get a lot of bad PR and very little good PR .

PEACE EVERYONE O0 O0 O0 I LUV Y'ALL MAN  ;D ;D ;D

ps...... and damn sure not the Brokeback way 

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »

Be happy about the respect and being thanked for serving.  I'm a Vet Nam vet and still see and hear what they said as I was returning.  I thank each and every one that has and is serving our country.

NeoRetroVTX

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 12:34:30 PM »

"It burns my Cranberries when I get a new private in the Army and he tells me he joined because of 9/11 or because he needed money for college....pardon my French...but TarterSauce you,..."

FYI Sgtstever...

First off, I joined the military in 1983 as an Airman 1st Class (enlisted), served for 6 years and exited as a Staff Sgt. I was a C-141 Flight Engineering and traveled all over the world supporting all sorts of missions, whether Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force or whatever. By the way, we didn't have those pansy stress cards when I went through boot camp in 1983! 

Second, I understand your comments about being called sir and I have no problem either way whether someone calls me sir or not. The argument on this issue got blown way out of proportion in my opinion. I also understand and relate to your comment about someone joining the military in order to pay for college.

But, I do have a problem with your comment relating to some young man (or woman) who may have decided to join the military because of 911. You are way out of line of this one my friend!  ???

Don't know if you realize the history of the military and enlistment for this great country of ours or not but, there have been many, many, cases of young men in past wars that have joined the military for that exact reason for which you now say, "...TarterSauce you!". You need to go back and rethink that comment. Believe it or not, when the idea of creating a military way back in the 1700's was created in order to defend ourselves against the Brits, many Americans wanted no part of it but, when the Brits came and attacked the Colonies, you can bet your Cranberries that hundreds and thousands joined in order to defend their nation! Please DO NOT make such stupid comments about our young men (and women) who choose to join the military just because they have a need to defend or nation, it only shows your ignorance. It makes no difference whether they choose to do this before or after we get attacked, the fact is they, just like you, have become committed to defend our nation and it's pricinples, and way of life.

Best Regards,
Roland

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 01:08:48 PM »

i joined the air force in 03 (post 9-11), but 9-11 wasnt the reason, nor was college.  but even then we didnt have any stress cards.  kinda scares me that the "chair" force didnt have em and the harder more serious basics do.  im not saying air force basic was easy, not at all.  but lets be honest, other than a few select jobs, we arent exactly the front line....  i was a crew chief on the e-3 awacs, and if it came down to me having to pick up a gun and defend the base, chances are, we are already over run..... :P

personally, even though i didnt sign up for the reasons that steve stated nor did i sign up for those that he so rightfully believes in, i dont think its your place at all to say that his opinion is either stupid or ignorant.  while i dont agree with him on it, he has every right to believe it and say it without someone making it a personal attack.  just like you have every right to disagree, but it can easily be done by stating what you you think without trying to put him down at the same time...

i understand why he made the comment he did.  if someone signs up just for selfish reasons or, to me even worse, just on an emotional reaction to something without thinking it through and doing it for the right reasons, then i see a problem with it as well.  what are the right reasons?  honestly, who's to say...  mine were pretty much a mix of some personal things i wanted to accomplish, and the fact that i could help out the country while doing so.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

Hell, I'll throw another take in here that I haven't seen yet.... kind of a combo of the above, but not really.

Joined the Army in '83, (don't even know what the hell a "stress" card is...), and did it for the college money. For all of those who want to say "TarterSauce you" to me for that reason, fire away. My story is that I was 22, had sowed some wild oats, worked in various occupations, (machinist, carpenter, cable TV installer), and realized that, in order to get what I wanted, I needed to get a degree. Now, I know that is not always true, plenty of people have everything they need without college, for me, it just seemed to be the path I wanted to take. The problem was that I didn't have a real good way to pay for school. Parents? Nah.... my dad was well on his way to becoming a multi-millionaire, and retiring at the age of 60. And the selfish prick had made it known back when I was in high school that he wasn't paying for any of his 5 kids to go to school. Great guy, huh? I let him know what I thought of him, (this and other topics), the last time I talked to him, back in 1979. Wonder if all that money makes him feel good now... And because I had already worked for 4 years after high school, I made too much to get any kind of student aid from the government. Kinda funny how making enough to keep a roof over your head makes you a "rich" guy to the student aid folks...

So, I took a trip to the enlistment office, signed up for the VEAP plan, and went off to Ft. Dix. I always tell people it was one of the three best things I ever did for myself, and that I can't think of the other two.... The college money took me a long way through my 4 year degree program, where I was surrounded by the little sniveling bastards on the 7 year plans. Funny how you don't waste any time in school when you are paying for it yourself.

The reason I get a little pissed off when people denigrate the folks that joined for the college money is that they seem to be forgetting that there are not two separate paths when the bullets start flying. Ya know, hard core fuckers over here, college boys in that safe zone. When you enlist, your Cranberries belongs to Uncle Sam, until it don't no more, no matter what. I was in basic training at Dix when the Russians shot down the Korean airliner, and in AIT in Virginia when those fuckers blew up the Marine barracks in Beirut. Ya think that wasn't a tense 3-4 months in the history of this country? Ya think I could have told them, "nah, I'm just here for the college cash" if the US had decided to stir the AppleSauce pot? Ya roll the dice, and ya takes your chances. 

So that's my story. I call 'em all Sir, including a couple of active duty miltary folks that I had the pleasure to spend Saturday with, SgtStever and Jeff Macal (motz). If they don't like it, too fuckin' bad. In today's trying times, they have my utmost respect, whether they want it or not...  O0 
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 04:04:48 PM »

My youngest son joined the Air National Guard for the financial assistance in oder to get a college degree. It is just that, assistance. This was at the same time the US was moving into Iraq. He was 19 when he joined and yes I tried to discourage him. My theory was that the damn rag heads had been fighting since time began and they will be fighting when we leave. My answer to the problem was blanket the place with bombs, not soldiers. When he graduated from basic training, litterally in the middle of the ceremonies he recieved orders that his two weeks of leave was canceled and he was flying out that night. They would not tell him where. Only that he was going for more training.
I was a sick feeling individual for the next couple of days until I learned he was on a base in CA and would be there for 6 months. As it turned out, he completed his training, returned home and went back to college here for another year. He then transfered to UT at Arlington and just graduated with a business degree in May. The government assistance helps, but it doesn't make life a cake walk. My son worked part time at a Discount tire (not in sales) to support himself and to pay for the remainder of his school fees. He would not and will not accept help from me. Not because he hates me but because he has too much pride and wants to say he did it himself.
He told me last Friday that he got into it with one of the assistant managers at his job and quit. The General Manager ask him not to quit and offered to schedule him so that he didn't have to work with the assistant. My son said ok but only if I get a month off before I start back. When I ask, what are you going to do?
His response was, I'm going to work full time for the Guard.

My son understood the risk when he signed up and I'm sure that's why he made the branch choice that he made. Not sure what all this has to do with anything except that all people aren't the same and they do what they have to do to get where they want to get.

Bill

hillcountryrider

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »

JMDaniel;

Your story and mine sound close …. I joined the Navy in 1982 because my life was headed to hell real quick …….. I figured that I needed some discipline and that I could learn a skill as well ……there was also a feeling of needing to contribute to our country ……..patriotism I guess…….. I served 4 years in the Navy as an aviation structural mechanic attached to an air squadron that was attached to the USS Eisenhower……I spent most of those 4 years working on the flight deck doing launch and recovery cycles….. Anyways there was no war and no 911 …….. the Eisenhower was stationed off of the coast of beirut prior to and after the terrorists blew up the Marine barracks ….. we were not on station at the time of the attack……. We had gone into port for some much needed R&R ….. it was as though the terrorist knew that we had left the scene……..

many….. many… service members have dangerous jobs and for the most part go unheralded and unrecognized……..

I still to this day remember the first launch and recovery series that I did on the flight deck in PITCH BLACK night … :o :o :o…… I was so terrified that I would be killed up there and probably would have been if not for the person who was in charge of making sure that my newbie Cranberries made it through it safe……from that night fwd I was less fearful but there was always the sense of dread of mishaps and they happened and still do I am sure.

my hats off to all of our service men and women who lay their butts on the line either behind the front line or on it.   O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 07:37:27 PM »

lets please let this thread go away now.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal