Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: High mileage tire replacement  (Read 4144 times)

old school Mike

• Rider
  • Old School Mike
Re: High mileage tire replacement
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »

Well I figured out why my dunlop tire wore out so soon.  How about 27PSI.  Just ordered a new Mez 880 wide white wall tire and purchased a new digital tire gauge.  That was a 200 dollar mistake I won;t make again.  Thanks for all of your input. Good bunch of guys.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

That will do it, I check regular and keep em at 40psi front and back get lots of miles.  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »

Good bunch of guys.

Easy there, not all of us...   :thumbup:

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »

I've run Avon Venoms ever since 9K miles (after the stock Dunlops wore out), and I average 16-18K miles from the rear and 19-21K miles from the front.  Those that ride with me know how hard and aggressive I ride, so I can live with those kinds of numbers.  I'm currently at 94K + miles, so I've been through several sets and really have found the tire choice that I'll stick with as long as they are being made.

Avon Cobras & Dunlop Elite 3s are not made for the 1300 tire sizes, unfortunately.  So your best bets are the Avons or Metzeler 880s.  For the 1300R model, Avon only makes the Venom for the rear tire size.  For the front tire, you have to go with an Avon Roadrider, which has a different tread pattern.  Just future reference material!   :thumbup:

dougvtx

• Tejano
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »

Well I figured out why my dunlop tire wore out so soon.  How about 27PSI.  Just ordered a new Mez 880 wide white wall tire and purchased a new digital tire gauge.  That was a 200 dollar mistake I won;t make again.  Thanks for all of your input. Good bunch of guys.

After talking to you, Mike, I stopped at Lowe's and picked up a digital air guage. It has an accuracy of -/+ 1 psi. Luckily, my stick guage is as accurate as the new digital. I had an brand new round guage that I didn't trust and hadn't used it on my bike. It was 5 psi off.  Brand name of Monkey Grip, who used to make tire patches and plugs.

When buying a digital guage, look and see what the accuracy is. It should be listed on the package. If it's not visible on the package, don't waste your money. 

I'm running 38 psi on the front and 40 psi on the rear.
When I can't hold up 2 wheels anymore, I'll get a three wheeler.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

To increase the repeatibilty of a standard pencil/stick type gauge you can use this procedure.

Before taking a pressure reading, pull the gauges scale all the way out then press the gauge against the stem and allow ppressure to enter the gauge.  While is has pressure on the gauge, gently push the scale in until it stops.  I've found this increases the gauges repeatable accuracy and provides consistant readings.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »

Avon Cobras & Dunlop Elite 3s are not made for the 1300 tire sizes, unfortunately.  So your best bets are the Avons or Metzeler 880s.  For the 1300R model, Avon only makes the Venom for the rear tire size.  For the front tire, you have to go with an Avon Roadrider, which has a different tread pattern.  Just future reference material!   :thumbup:

I'm fixin to have to buy some Avons for the wife's 1300 and I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up about the front tire. Thanks Jason!  :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »

I'm fixin to have to buy some Avons for the wife's 1300 and I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up about the front tire. Thanks Jason!  :c :c

Anything for you, my friend!   :thumbup:

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »

Anything for you, my friend!   :thumbup:

Good to know I've got at least one friend left on the board!  :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »

Naw, make it two HooT!
SSSSSsssssssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

To increase the repeatibilty of a standard pencil/stick type gauge you can use this procedure.

Before taking a pressure reading, pull the gauges scale all the way out then press the gauge against the stem and allow ppressure to enter the gauge.  While is has pressure on the gauge, gently push the scale in until it stops.  I've found this increases the gauges repeatable accuracy and provides consistant readings.

Dang what the heck brought you to try this in the first place???
I find the smaller the donkey the slower it is  ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal