Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What are some of your favorite RV camp grounds?  (Read 4260 times)

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: What are some of your favorite RV camp grounds?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »

So............for you experienced Rv'ers...............My plans are to go pick up RV and just roll right into a rv camping trip.  My wife's sister lives in Sierra Madre, CA so we are gonna make the additional 6hr trek to go visit her, but on the way back gonna take enough time to see things and be back in about 8 days.  Still haven't decided what places to visit, but any place is good in my book.  My question though, is what do I need in the RV to be camping properly?  

Here is my list of stuff I know I need once I pick it up, but what am I leaving out?

no particular order:

Bed sheet w/cover & pillows
weight distributing hitch (dealer is throwing in free)
small utensils set/w dishes
Propane Tanks (comes with but not sure if empty or filled)
sewer hose?
water hose?
any electrical adapters? (It has a 30 amp plug)

added:
sway control
brake controller(just installed about 1 week ago.  got the Tekonsha P3)

Just want to know what I need so that I'm ready right off the bat.  Plus, I know I could probably hit a wal-mart and get some small easy to find stuff, but what?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:11:28 PM by matap »
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »

RV toilet paper.

eoemt17

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »

That blue chemical they put in the toilet to keep the rose smell from wafting up in the trailer.
Other than what you listed, its your home away from home so anything you like at your home
include it in the trailer.
Maybe some lawn chairs too, and a little flat screen.

eoemt17

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »

Also see if that hitch comes with a sway control arm.  On a windy day or if that trailer is a little heavy for your
truck it will come in handy.  Even with that hitch their giving you that trailer could end up pushing you all over the
road and maybe into the ditch.

larryw

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

I would get two water hoses, one for your water, the other to rinse anything off you need to rinse. You don't want to use your regular water hose for anything but what flows into the camper. You'll also want a flow restrictor for you water. It restricts the flow of water so you don't blow any pipes if you have great water pressure. I think it's actually called a regulator. While you're out camping, you'll find you need odds and ends. Write down what you need, don't try and remember. 
2004 VTX 1800N

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »

Just as a heads up Walmart has a RV section in Automotive where you can get alot of the stuff you need!!  ;D ;D
Also what is the max capacity that the RV will hold for the bike?? Ramp??
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »

Get a small in-line water filter and a "Y" adapter.  Screw the Y onto the campground supply, put the pressure regulator on and then the filter and then your supply line to the camper.  Use the other side of the "Y" for your extra hose that you will use to rinse off any other things at your campsite.  I use the second hose to rinse the sewer hose into the dump before storing it away.  You will want to pick up a mat to put outside your camper to wipe your feet on and to keep dirt out of the camper. Maybe a small broom and dustpan for the dirt that follows you in.  We added apaper towel holder in the kitchen, as ours did not have one, and they kept rolling around and getting wind blown when the door was open.  Put some hand sanitizer in the compartment where you store your sewer hose, so you can clean up before you touch anything else.   I have a small storage container to keep all of my fresh water stuff in.  The Y, filter and regulator.  That keeps it away from the discharge hose and the rinse hose.
We also bought an in-line surge protector to keep those unpredictable campground power supplies from blowing your inverter or power distribution system. 240 bucks now could save you a thousand later.

There will be a lot more you will want to add, but this should help get you started
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:03:34 AM by JustinVTX »

Justin VTX

matap

• Board
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »

Also what is the max capacity that the RV will hold for the bike?? Ramp??

What do you mean?  It can hold one bike very comfortably or two a little tight but doable.  the payload is 3420lbs and I assume the ramp is good as any for loading into the Toy Hauler.  I've seen pictures of the trailers loaded with those SUT type 4 wheelers.  and those are a bit heavier than our bikes.

matap

• Board
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »

We also bought an in-line surge protector to keep those unpredictable campground power supplies from blowing your inverter or power distribution system. 240 bucks now could save you a thousand later.

I assume that if my trailer is the 30 amp kind I would get a 30 amp surge protector? is that correct?

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »

Yes.  They sell multiple types, but a 30 amp protector will have the correct connections you need.  I also bought a locking cover that connects the surge protector and your power cord to keep it from "disappearing" if you are not around the campground all of the time.  99.9% of campers are trustworthy, but you sometimes see people driving thru the campgrounds that are just looking to make a quick buck...

Justin VTX

larryw

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

Where are your going to the store the camper when not in use? If you keep it at home, get yourself a 30 to 15 adapter. Attach it to your 30 amp plug, and you can plut it into a regular household socket. You only get 15 amps, but its enough to keep your battery charged.
2004 VTX 1800N

matap

• Board
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

That's a good Idea.  It will be stored mostly at an rv storage unit, but sometimes kept at my house. before any trip i leave I'm sure I'll have it at the house for 2-3 days prior to leaving.

larryw

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

The batter will charge in less than a day, and when plugged into the 30 amps at the campground/rv park, the battery will charge also. But plugged in at the house gives you lights you can use if needed, small aplliances The battery will also charge while you are towing.
2004 VTX 1800N

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »

I buy a lot of RV stuff online.  These guys have great prices and fast shipping.  If you need someting right now, head to Camping World or a local Rv dealer, but if you can await a couple of days for something, give these guys a shot.  I could not find a 50 AMP to 15 converter anywhere in DFW, and Camping World wanted 99 bucks to order it, but I got it for 79.99 with free shipping and no tax from these guys, and I got it in 2 days.
https://www.makariosrv.com/

We use the 50 AMP version of this surge protector:
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/TRC-Portable-Surge-Guard-30-AMP-Power-Protection.html

I use this type of adapter when the camper is in storage.  If you use one of these, you can use a regular extension cord, and not risk leaving your heavy duty 30 AMP copper line laying out:
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/30A%252d15A-Park-Adapter-by-Marinco.html

I use this lock for securing the surge protector to the heavy duty shore power cable that feeds the camper:
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/Universal-Hasp-Lock-34590.html

Justin VTX

matap

• Board
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

Thanks for the link.  I need to get that lock for sure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal