Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: TRI-CITY M/G 24 JAN (San Antonio-Austin-Houston) UPDATE II  (Read 13874 times)

GregC

• Old Timer
  • San Antonio
TRI-CITY M/G 24 JAN (San Antonio-Austin-Houston) UPDATE II
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »

Some discussion has been going on about setting up a TRI-CITY (San Antonio, Austin, Houston) M/G.  It has been suggested it be held in Schulenburg or Luling which is pretty well centralized between the three cities. This would be great for meeting up with old friends as well as making some new ones.  Before the plans are made it would be nice to know if most folks would prefer to have it on a Saturday or a Sunday and also to find out how many would be interested in going AND WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT.  Also, if you are familiar with that area and know the best places to eat please post it.  I'm going to try and check the area out but AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO I CAN'T EAT IN ALL THE AVAILABLE LOCATIONS to decide on one to have the M/G.  Which ever day and place is picked it will be scheduled around noon (FOOD) in order to give everyone plenty of time to get back home before dark.  As you all know bikes become targets for 4 wheelers after dark. 
So please give your preference as to Saturday or Sunday, where, and eating location and feel free to add any other comments, suggestions, and request here in this topic area.  Matap and I are querying the Houston and San Antonio areas. Someone from Austin jump on in.
OF COURSE EVERYONE OUTSIDE THESE AREAS ARE CERTAINLY WELCOME AS WELL.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:30:59 PM by GregC »
Most people's heads grow right along with their salaries.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Re: TRI-CITY M/G (San Antonio-Austin-Houston) Your input needed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »

Personally I would prefer a Saturday.  I'm thinking that I would probably just spend the night in the area and make it a weekend ride.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »

Saturday sounds great as long as it is not in March too many rides planned already  :o
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »

Let's see. Ride out to Flat Creek or Sisterdale wineries on Saturday morning. Taste test a couple of wines. Get a hotel in Austin. Try to ride to Shiner, TX for the Brewery tour Sunday. Stop in Schulenburg for lunch with friends. Sober up enough to drive down I-10 to Houston. OK, that sounds doable.

Sunday gets my vote.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

Has anyone else eaten at Oakridge BBQ?  I will withhold my one time experience pending responses.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

GregC

• Old Timer
  • San Antonio
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »

Thanks for the input RocknRoll.  I have never been to Schulunberg so your experience with Oakridge BBQ would be much appreciated.  It's the only place mentioned so far. The exact location to meet up and have lunch will depend on the info received here in this thread.  I better go back and modify the post to include that.  Hopefully others who are familiar with the area will mention a good place.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »

well going off the website the Oakridge restaurant seems like a good place and is more than capable to accomodate all us and then some.  If need be I can take one for the team and ride out there to see if the food is good. but i would imagine there will be no dissapointment.  Correct, Schulenburg is the most central location for Houston-Austin-San Antonio to meet and still make it back home before it gets dark.  For those wanting to stay that's cool too, but difinetly keep it open for a day ride only kinda of thing.  I would prefer Saturday myself.  I will post two vote threads about this issue.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »

Has anyone else eaten at Oakridge BBQ?  I will withhold my one time experience pending responses.

Several of my friends and I had a deer lease that caused all of us to separately drive by Oakridge almost every weekend from Oct through Jan.  At one time or other, each of us made one stop at Oakridge.  None of us stopped twice.  That was several years ago so maybe it has changed.

In the original post I suggested Luling.  It has at least two BBQ joints and an interesting history and if memory is correct, a heck of a leather making center and shopping area.  As you say, it is closer to Austin and S/A than it is to Houston.  However, the difference is not significant if traveling on I-10.

I am certainly not trying to cause a problem but if the main reason for this deal is to meet and eat, we should eat at a decent place.  Otherwise, the Dairy Queen in Schulenburg is or was, one of the chain's highest rated.

Regardless of where y'all decide to go, I look forward to hearing about all your dining experiences.

Thank you for your work on this.  I hope I can make it!

Pete

GregC

• Old Timer
  • San Antonio
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »

Thanks again RocknRoll.  Luling is also a good choice.  It has  not been decided that it will be at Schulenburg.  We have the two choices so far and will see what everyone wants as we go.  There is no time crunch so we have plenty of time to get everyone's opinions.

TMU

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »

Count me in if I'm not TDY or in the field.  A Saturday event would probably work better for me.  It's been a couple of years since I've eaten there, but Frank's Restaurant in Schulenberg was good.  It's right next to I-10; you can't miss it.  I never was too impressed with Oakridge.  Luling works, too.  Just let me know the time and place!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:36:51 AM »

I can't recall the name of the place, but a friend has told me about a BBQ joint in Luluing, or just north of there (it's been awhile) that's supposed to be one of the best in Texas. The group he rides with goes there. I'll call him today.
02 1800C

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »

Use to stop off at Joels Barbecue in Flatonia on the way to the deer lease. Was always pretty good, but has been awhile back.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »

I am game. Name it and the wife and I will be there. Saturday fits better in our world but will follow the pack also...

Rick

TMU

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »

I can't recall the name of the place, but a friend has told me about a BBQ joint in Luluing, or just north of there (it's been awhile) that's supposed to be one of the best in Texas. The group he rides with goes there. I'll call him today.

Probably thinking of either Black's BBQ, Kreuz BBQ, or Smitty's Market.  All 3 of those places are in Lockhart, which is about 15 miles north of Luling.  All 3 places have also been featured on the Travel Channel as being some of the best BBQ in the country.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »

Use to stop off at Joels Barbecue in Flatonia on the way to the deer lease. Was always pretty good, but has been awhile back.

Joel's still makes a great chopped beef sandwich.  Ribs are good too.  It is a small place with only about 4 tables.  I still stop there on occation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal