Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front right fork tube slide  (Read 1225 times)

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
Front right fork tube slide
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »

My front right fork tube slide is slightly damaged. Needs to be replaced or re-chromed. Anyone know of a place near DFW or Cedar Creek Lake that will re-chrome it?
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Front right fork tube slide
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »

Does it work? Is it useable? If so instead of rechrome, paint both of them black and give it the old school look! Can of Krylon flat black, $3.50, cheeper than chrome!
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »

Does it work? Is it useable? If so instead of rechrome, paint both of them black and give it the old school look! Can of Krylon flat black, $3.50, cheeper than chrome!

I was going to recommned the same thing, Krylon Chrome, just drive by real fast and no would notice  ;D But didn't want to be a wise guy  :t
Thanks Hooter  :c
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

If you can't see it from your seat, why worry about it?   :c

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:26 PM »

Mike, is the damage causing it to leak?
02 1800C

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:58 AM »

Mike, is the damage causing it to leak?

It's very slight, but yessir it is. Let a kid work on it a couple of years ago and he didn't do it properly. It was trying to tell me it wasn't right but I wasn't listening. Now there's a very slight abrasion and when it passes the seal it leaks. We've put 30 weight in it and can go to 50 if necessary for a short term fix. He's also had a machine shop straighten and re-thread the push rod. I'm rolling safe but I need to get things right. I've put 90K miles on the girl and have got another 100K miles to put on it before I put her out to pasture, and each side of the fork assembly costs about $1K.  :ohwow:

I'm actually lucky when you consider I've put over 40K miles on it since then. When the current mechanic started to replace the seals, the entire assembly fell into the fork tube. He was so freaked out he had a hard time telling me so I went and looked for myself. I guess I've had enough good luck to keep my bad luck from killing me, so now it's time to get it right.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:34:48 AM »

I was going to recommned the same thing, Krylon Chrome, just drive by real fast and no would notice  ;D But didn't want to be a wise guy  :t
Thanks Hooter  :c

I guess that could work! I know black is fast, but what about orange? They tell me it's really fast.  :popcorn:  :couch:  :pot:  :boxing:  :stickpoke:  :hurl:  :rofl:

Sorry guys, I just had to do that. Luv 'ya. ...I see why he likes icons. They're fun!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 05:07:54 AM »

I am not for sure if you are needing the tube part but this guy on E bay has VTX 1800 parts For Sale. I see parts all the time from this seller.

http://stores.ebay.com/Maxsalvage
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »

I doubt a new slider would have to be VTX-specific; there are probably cheaper alternatives available. You'd just have to get the length and diameter corect. I'm not sure if you could repair an abrasion to seal reliably, but that's something I have no experience with.
02 1800C

Cat Doctor

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17:26 AM »

look for hydraulic cylinder repair shops in your area. they should know who does rechroming.
Woo Hoo!!!!! What a Ride!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal