Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Went Down Today  (Read 4246 times)

tejasx

Went Down Today
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »

Maybe time to hang up the spurs, started out to be such a beautiful day, sun was shining was about halfway thru my ride when I went to stop for gas off of 917 and I-35, made a hard left turn and must have hit a slick spot in the turn, I felt the rear tire brake loose and next thing I knew I was down and the bike was on top of me.  No real damage to bike other than a few scrape marks, the highway bars did their job and my protective gear did what it was designed to do.  Feeling some stiffness in my back and right arm, but otherwise ok.  There was a group of riders at the gas station and Cheers to several of them for helping get the bike off my foot and getting me out of the road. 

VTX DUST

Re: Went Down Today
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »

It happens to the best of us at one time or another.  Don't hang up the spurs just yet, learn from it and move on.  Glad your ok and it wasn't anything too serious.  Shake it off and ride on!

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »

You can't expect to see every oil slick. Glad your not hurt too bad. Get back on and keep riding.
You may never go down again.

I had a hard time learning not to grab the front brake. When I first got my X I went down in my drive at least 3 times sitting dang near stopped. That was many miles back and I felt just like you but I kept going and havn't lost it in a couple of years now.

tejasx

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »

As crashes go it wasn't that bad, just getting older and reactions are slower, sitting at home nursing a sore back and hip now, gonna take a day off from work and try to heal
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 08:43:12 PM by tejasx »

kfhookem

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »

It's our fault.  Had we turned out for the Hico run, this wouldn't have happened.

Laid mine down in the parking in the garage.  Made the mistake of wearing tennis shoes and the left foot just slid out from under me.  They say their are two kinds of bikes... those that have been laid down and those that are going to be.

Heal quickly and try that pie run again.

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »

I'm VERY glad to hear it's only a couple of bruises and stiffness.  Maybe once the initial "oh sh*t" reaction in your gut is over, you'll likely get the urge to hop back on... and I hope you do.   :)
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »

By all means get back in the saddle and ride.  Even if you ultimately decide to hang up the spurs, you don't want to quit with a bad final memory.  But I agree with the others, get back on and go, you may never ever take another spill.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

Glad to see you're OK..........

Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »

You're only as old as you feel... I'm sure you feel REAL old right now but that gets better man.
My now long gone VTX...

tejasx

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »

It's our fault.  Had we turned out for the Hico run, this wouldn't have happened.

Laid mine down in the parking in the garage.  Made the mistake of wearing tennis shoes and the left foot just slid out from under me.  They say their are two kinds of bikes... those that have been laid down and those that are going to be.

Heal quickly and try that pie run again.

Nah, not anyones fault, just happened.  40 years of riding, numerous MSF courses and many near misses and it just happens.  It just brought back a flood of bad memories when I dropped a bike 10 years ago and broke a few bones, got luckier this time, nothing broken, just sore all over.

Must have been a bad day all over, I had planned to make the M&G, read the posts on it, two were sick, one called to work, one's bike wouldn't start and I wrecked.  The stars weren't aligned today.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 08:50:28 PM by tejasx »

VTX DUST

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »

tejasx,

I wasn't kidding when I said it happens to the best of us, this happened last year.  At my own personal expense I'll post a photo to cheer you up bro.  My girlfriend and I went out for dinner on the bike, our second time out on it....first time at night.  I had just put on my forward controls and we had little experience riding together.  Those and several other factors (wine) caused us to fall over before we left the parking lot, the bike landing on top of us.   I was able to lift it off of us quickly, no burns, just some scratches, a few scars, no damage to the bike......and a very bruised ego.  Even through this we laughed it off (wine) and still ride.  So, laugh a little at my expense.........get better and ride on my friend!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:09:29 AM by VTX DUST »

xriderintx

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »

ouch! :o glad everyone's okay..!
03 1800c.. 6degree trees,cp punisher bars,corbin gunslinger,v&h bigshots,xchop

SilverTribal Driver

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Mansfield, Texas
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

Hey Ken,
Sorry to hear about the slideout/tumble.  :'(  With all those years of riding experience under your belt, you know deep down inside that motorcycling is in your blood.  Get back on that baby once the soreness and stiffness gets better and ride-on..!!!  Glad to hear that you're OK...  O0 O0

Dan

da032

• Old Timer
  • McKinney, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Glad ur ok!

I laid my bike down the 2nd day I had her.  Thank goodness for the quick reaction of the guy driving a pickup coming down the road or I wouldn't be here today.  It has been said before and I'll say it again.  There are two kinds of riders: those that have been down and those that are going down.  It's more about the getting back up then the fall!

Feel better!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »

Sorry to hear that Ken. Hope by today your feeling better.  O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal