Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VTX 1300 Exhaust Questions  (Read 1684 times)

TX-Techman

VTX 1300 Exhaust Questions
« on: October 20, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »

I am planning to upgrade the pipes on my 1300R and really like the looks of the HK 2 into 1 Side Burners.  I want to increase performance and sound but don't want it uncomfortably loud for me or the neighbors.  Another thing I wonder about is the way the upper pipe is routed in front of the gear case cover I am concerned about clearance issues with body parts.  Does this pipe extend out further than than the original pipes?  Does it cause clearance issues with legs or create more heat for the riders? 

Of course loud is difficult to explain, I am looking for something that gives me a deep powerful rumble in the lower ranges but mellows a bit when running down the road at 80, not really looking for a screamer.  I know for most the louder the better but I kind of like my hearing and hope the wife will ride some :)

I wouldn't mind hearing these in person if anyone is in the Justin / Roanoake area and has a set on a 1300.  I understand they really sound different between the 1300 and 1800.

There is a big sale at the Motorcycle Pro Shop - http://www.motorcycleproshop.com.  They have these for $549 which is about $100 bucks cheaper than I have found them anywhere else.  I have not bought anything from these guys before let me know your experience with them.  Thanks greatly for your comments and recommendations.   

Kenneth

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: VTX 1300 Exhaust Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »

Ken, it could happen, but most likely if the only change you're making is the pipes, you won't notice any diff in power. You'll sound more "powerful",  and may "feel" like you are, but you will need to additionally open up your air and increase jet size to really get a difference you might could "feel". A lot of pipes actually will reduce your HP if that's all you do, and also can reduce your MPG. I'm not sure how the HK's will do, just mentioning the possibility. Also, Not positive, but make sure of clearance issues first...I believe the 2-1 HK's were designed for a C Model, even though I see them listed for the R. They have a seperate model for the r's than the C, so they ought to clear, even though that would leave your sidecover standing out loud with the scooped area.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:31:12 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »

I realize they don't translate the same between the 1300 and 1800, but I have had them from day 1 on my 1800.  Wouldn't trade them for the world.  I agree with snake through both experience and conversation with the shop bubbas, by themselves the power increase is negligable.  I'm a "louder the better" kinda guy but I have to say the noise is not too rough for either rider or passenger.  In fact I wish I could hear mine more.  I have to settle for overpass echos to really enjoy them.  However riders at your 4 or 5 o'clock don't seem to have any trouble hearing them.   ;D  I've had complaints.  I believe that overall they are louder but because the note is low and throaty they don't hit your ear the same as a loud pipe with a higher note.  I really can't speak to the fit and clearance but I'm thinking if they are marketing them for your machine there's a good chance they thought that one through.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:54:51 PM by studdog »
BJ & Miss Angela

'05 VTX 1800C-Darkside-110 CI of rompin', stompin', hellfire and damnation

TX-Techman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 07:07:16 PM »

Thanks for the info, I am planning to re-jet the carb, pair valve blocks, and go to the K&N Filter that fits the stock air box at the same time as the pipes.  Hopefully the K&N filter will make the difference in air flow, I don't think the cover itself would cause any restriction. 

From looking at the pictures I have seen of the pipes It looks like they would stick out at least a little further than the side covers.  I am wondering how much farther and if that puts more heat on the rider.  The deep throaty sounds are what I am looking for, I am glad to hear they are fairly mellow when running down the road at least for the rider and passenger.

I would really like to hear a set but may go ahead and pull the trigger so I can have them within a couple of weeks. 

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, I am planning to re-jet the carb, pair valve blocks, and go to the K&N Filter that fits the stock air box at the same time as the pipes.  Hopefully the K&N filter will make the difference in air flow, I don't think the cover itself would cause any restriction. 

From looking at the pictures I have seen of the pipes It looks like they would stick out at least a little further than the side covers.  I am wondering how much farther and if that puts more heat on the rider.  The deep throaty sounds are what I am looking for, I am glad to hear they are fairly mellow when running down the road at least for the rider and passenger.

I would really like to hear a set but may go ahead and pull the trigger so I can have them within a couple of weeks. 

I hung the Hypercharger, Sideburners and PC III all at once when I bought the bike.  The best guess of the tech bubba was that I may have picked up 2-3 hp. However I have not yet had it dyno-tuned.  So I supose it remains to be seen how much difference it ultimately makes.  Where the side covers are concerned, mine are about flush or maybe slightly recessed.  If they are routed the same on yours I would predict the same result.  Of course I really can't speak to yours.  I certainly don't get any more heat.  I would love to let you listen to mine.  We're a long way apart but if we get some decent weather, it may work.  Just closing on a new house so time is in short supply too.  But I'm willing to try.  Also I have a couple pics on my myspace page that let you get a little better look too.  The link is below.
BJ & Miss Angela

'05 VTX 1800C-Darkside-110 CI of rompin', stompin', hellfire and damnation

TX-Techman

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »

Thanks for the info, this pic gives a better view of how the pipes set than others I have seen.  Mine being a 1300 may be a little different but this gives me a good idea.  I still haven't decided for sure which way to go but the Sideburner sure looks good and you have a very nice looking ride.

TexPops

• Old Timer
  • Azle (Eagle Mountain Lake) n.w. of Ft.Worth
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »

Here's ya a pic of a 1300 with sideburner---ya want loud, this is it!!! O0

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal