Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seafoam or not interesting read  (Read 1049 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Seafoam or not interesting read
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

I' ve been a big believer in Seafoam but according to this article, I may have to rethink my position.

http://www.fueltestkit.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html
It's all just part of the adventure!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Seafoam or not interesting read
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »

Many people here on the board and some others I know swear by this stuff. I used Seafoam one time and swore I would never do that again. Ole Blue ran like AppleSauce and when I finally got it all completely run out from my tank, I had to change plugs. They were fouled out and looked like they were run in something that had a lot of carbon build up in the heads. The plugs I changed out only had about 500 miles on'um. Hope everybody looks at the chart. Quote from chart:
Avoid additives that contain strong solvents, alcohols and water-absorbing ingredients when gas contains ethanol (e10). 
Improper use of gas additives will increase risks, cause damage and invalidate engine warranty.

Beware of misleading product claims, it is scientifically impossible to "remove all water from fuel" with just a liquid additive.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »

You tell 'em Hooter!!!

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

Many people here on the board and some others I know swear by this stuff. I used Seafoam one time and swore I would never do that again. Ole Blue ran like AppleSauce and when I finally got it all completely run out from my tank, I had to change plugs. They were fouled out and looked like they were run in something that had a lot of carbon build up in the heads. The plugs I changed out only had about 500 miles on'um. Hope everybody looks at the chart. Quote from chart:
Avoid additives that contain strong solvents, alcohols and water-absorbing ingredients when gas contains ethanol (e10). 
Improper use of gas additives will increase risks, cause damage and invalidate engine warranty.

Beware of misleading product claims, it is scientifically impossible to "remove all water from fuel" with just a liquid additive.

"it is scientifically impossible to "remove all water from fuel" with just a liquid additive."

Alcohol does not "evaporate" or "remove" water in the fuel supply.  Alcohol removes water from your fuel SYSTEM by absorbing any water that may be in the system and thus allowing it to mix with the fuel in a suspended "in solution" state.  Alcohol is "hygroscopic" like brake fluid and diesel fuel is, which means it has an affinity for water.  It can draw water from the air or any other liquid it is mixed with. If alcohol is mixed/added to a fuel tank, as the fuel is used and drawn from the tank, so is the water that has become suspended in the fuel by the presence of the alcohol.  If there is only a small amount of water present in the tank when a drying hygroscopic agent (such as alcohol is added), it's usually not a problem because the small amount of water is dispersed into a relativity larger quantity of fuel. It is carried through the fuel system in this small ratio without issue.  IT CAN BECOME a problem if there is a large quantity of water present in the tank.  Now the percentage of water to fuel ratio is rather high and that can change the A/F ratio enough to cause running problems.  In addition, any rust and debris that WAS setting in the bottom of the tank prior to the addition of the alcohol, will NOW be suspended in the fuel along with any water and will be carried into the injection or carburetor system which will plug up the minute orifices of the injectors or jets.
That is the basically the same and main problem when adding dry ethanol to gasoline fuels for use in internal combustion engines. Gasoline with dry ethanol is crap. Hygroscopic ethanol absorbs any water present in the fuel tank and right out of the air space in the tank as it sets in the tank over a long period of time.  Just like any other kind of alcohol agent.  At some point, the ethanol becomes saturated and water separates out of solution causing rust and corrosion. 
Ethanol is a farce.  Your government is forcing ethanol fuels on us just to satisfy the farm lobby of Archer Daniels Midland (ADM).  Ethanol DOES NOT reduce crude oil usage or money.  It actually costs more to manufacture ethanol than it does pure gasoline from crude.  It raises corn and overall food prices. The ethanol process requires tremendous amounts of heat energy to dry the ethanol so it CAN BE mixed with gasoline.  The dry nature of the ethanol is why it absorbs water and that what makes it bad for engines. 
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »

I have had great results with seafoam in my bikes and my trucks.  If clogged jets or injector are your problem there is nothing better.. :thumbup:

:c
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »

Hell it's the only thing that keeps momma's bike running.  :thumbup:
Since she only gets to ride it maybe 4 times a year.  :(
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »

brought my 15 year old lawnmower back to life
It's all just part of the adventure!

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »

brought my 15 year old lawnmower back to life

:thumbup:
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal