Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Harley is back in the shop....  (Read 2938 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Harley is back in the shop....
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »

And not for the recall.  I have been going crazy about a whistling noise and have determined that it "might" be a wheel bearing.  We'll see...  Good thing, it's under warranty.  For those who don't know what that is, it's when your manufacture takes your equipment back and fixes it for free.   :thumbup:

:couch: :stickpoke: :pot: :popcorn:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Harley is back in the shop....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

And not for the recall.  I have been going crazy about a whistling noise and have determined that it "might" be a wheel bearing.  We'll see...  Good thing, it's under warranty.  For those who don't know what that is, it's when your manufacture takes your equipment back and fixes it for free.   :thumbup:

10 point deduction :boxing: :cuss:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »

Good Luck . Glad it waited till you got back.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:59:12 AM »

Good Luck . Glad it waited till you got back.

I am not even sure if there is anything wrong with it but have seen a couple of posts on another forum about front wheels bearings going out and this kind of fits the profile.  When I had it on the lift before the trip I didn't feel anything strange when I was turning the wheel.  We'll see I guess. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »

Sounds like the short period of time you have that thing you called a ....what....warranty, will be the best of times to be a bike hypochondriac!

SSSSSSSsssssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »

Sounds like the short period of time you have that thing you called a ....what....warranty, will be the best of times to be a bike hypochondriac!

SSSSSSSsssssnake

I am on a Harley Forrum, every problem and anyone has with their bike I assume I have the problem too....LOL.  Dealer looked at me weird when I insisted that I had a coolant leak.... J/K.   :stickpoke:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Chinstrap

• Rider
  • Never too many VTXs
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »

When my bearings went out on my C model it was a clicking/knocking noise coming from the front end.
2003 VTX 1800C
2008 VTX 1800N

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.  - Hunter S. Thompson

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »

When my bearings went out on my C model it was a clicking/knocking noise coming from the front end.

Mine is still whistling...no issues with the bearings.  I have no idea what is making the noise but just updgrade my speakers and added a 300W Rockford Fosgate amp so no problems.  I can't even hear the exhaust now.   :bikerider:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »

That's how you do it!  Just turn the radio up.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:55:39 AM »

That's how you do it!  Just turn the radio up.
That's what my wife does with her car, and stick tape over the check engine light

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »

I just prefer riding a bike that doesn't need to be recalled!   ;D   :pot:

Get the bike up on a very sturdy stand (like the pepsX stand) and run that puppy through the gears to see if you get the whistling while the bike is still.  No whistling...then it's possibly the wind getting through some tiny crevice or hole.  If you have the newer bike with the vent in the fairing, have you tried closing it to see if the noise goes away?

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

Get the bike up on a very sturdy stand (like the pepsX stand) and run that puppy through the gears to see if you get the whistling while the bike is still.  No whistling...then it's possibly the wind getting through some tiny crevice or hole.  If you have the newer bike with the vent in the fairing, have you tried closing it to see if the noise goes away?

Definitely not the vent.  The sound goes louder with speed, gear change  dies not affect.
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:05 PM »

Definitely not the vent.  The sound goes louder with speed, gear change  dies not affect.

I'd still run it up on the stand with the bike still to see if it happens then.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »

have you changed helmets. I once changed brands of oil. Thought the new oil made the trans. sound clunkier. Changed back. Then realized that I had been running a full face with the old oil and had switched to a half shell when I changed to the new oil. made the shifting sound different. :redcard:

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »

10 point deduction :boxing: :cuss:

Bought my Honda VTX1800 brand new in October 2003 and it came with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.  Its now 12 years and 100,000+ miles later and it has never been in the shop or had a recall for any manufactures defects.  You'll have to forgive those of us who have never had to deal with such things.  :thumbup:
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal