Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel/Air Mixture ???  (Read 2067 times)

ConnRadd

• Old Timer
  • Houston, Tx (Willowbrook Area)
    • Photo Gallery
Fuel/Air Mixture ???
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »

After the X warms up and I'm riding for awhile; when I give it heavy gas and then let off or when I squeeze in the clutch, sometimes it will back fire (you can see flames coming out the tail pipes). Also, when cruising around 60 mph or so, I'll give the throttle a little twist and the bike tends to bog down a bit (like it's not getting any fuel); then I'll twist harder and it goes like a rocket... I'm thinking of taking somewhere and have them look at it...
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
2006 M109R Silver
2004 VTX 1300c Candy Apple Red (SOLD)

http://www.myspace.com/mspraberry

Dallas Retro

Re: Fuel/Air Mixture ???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »

The backfiring may actually be the decel popping that VTXs are known far; Usually removing/blocking the PAIR system will cure that.

You didn't say if you had an 1800 or a 1300; I added and re-mapped a PCIII to my 1800 to cure it's inherint fuel problems.  On my 1300 I rejetted it (after intake and exhaust mods) and stopped it's cough (what a pain). 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 08:55:09 AM by Dallas Retro »

ConnRadd

• Old Timer
    • Photo Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:12:56 AM »

The backfiring may actually be the decel popping that VTXs are known far; Usually removing/blocking the PAIR system will cure that.

You didn't say if you had an 1800 or a 1300; I added an rremapped a PCIII to my 1800 to cure it's inherint fuel problems.  On my 1300 I rejetted it (after intake and exhaust mods) and stopped it's cough.

Yeah, I have a 1300c with a Custom Tear Drop Airkit, Re-Jet, and HK Pipes, plus I blocked the pair valve system...
2006 M109R Silver

galpd320

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »

Did you install the pipes yourself? If so did you replace the crush gaskets? If not, you might check with the person that installed them. I installed Hard Kromes on my old 1300C without replacing the crush gaskets and it did the same thing. What happens is air gets in through the improperly sealed header (exhaust leak) and causes the unburnt fuel to combust in the pipe causing a loud pop and a flame.
If the gaskets were replaced, double check the torque on the bolts. They tend to loosen up a few hundred miles after a new install.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 02:34:54 PM by galpd320 »

ConnRadd

• Old Timer
    • Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:41:19 PM »

Did you install the pipes yourself? If so did you replace the crush gaskets? If not, you might check with the person that installed them. I installed Hard Kromes on my old 1300C without replacing the crush gaskets and it did the same thing. What happens is air gets in through the improperly sealed header (exhaust leak) and causes the unburnt fuel to combust in the pipe causing a loud pop and a flame.
If the gaskets were replaced, double check the torque on the bolts. They tend to loosen up a few hundred miles after a new install.
Hope that helps.

I had Johnny Cheese installed everything, which he replaced the crush gasket... I didnt think about having to re-torque the bolts... Thanks for the tip...
2006 M109R Silver

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal