Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HID conversion  (Read 1976 times)

ammoburn

HID conversion
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »

Hey, I'm installing HID's with hi and low beams.  I have the bike apart for several simultaneous projects.  (Layed the bike down a couple months ago and figured now was the time to do time consuming adjustments)  The unit is installed and I can hear the ballast when I turn the key on.  Does the light come on with out cranking the bike?  I can't start mine.... no gas tank presently.  The Hi/Lo beam mirror even moves when I switch between hi and low, still no light.  Maybe it needs the extra amps from a running bike...?  What do you think?

Kit

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: HID conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »

Ask the manufacturer.
02 1800C

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

Did you just happen to get this off of eBay for a really good price from somewhere in California??  There are a quite a few folks on the Concours and FJR forums that have ordered some and they were either bad out of the box or failed after a very short time.  In each case they were Chinese knockoffs and to get replacement parts, you have to send your defective ones to China!

Sure hope that isn't what you have!  In answer to your question, yes, the headlight comes on with just the key and I seriously doubt that there is enough voltage difference between key on and running to prevent a working HID from coming on.  Do you have a contact # for the manufacturer, as Hipshot suggested?  How about the return policy?
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

ammoburn

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

Its not off ebay.  I got it from CQlight.ca which i believe is out of California however.  I called support, but they aren't open on Sundays, so Ill give a call tomorrow. Hopefully, not defective.  I have a friend that got a kit from there with no problems.  His set up seemed easier though as he just ordered the low beams.  I guess we'll see tomorrow...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »

ammoburn,   looks like your reseller is okay.........I didn't find anything bad and a lot of good about them.  You should be good to go!!!
 O0
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »

.ca is Canada, but their phone number is San Mateo, California.  How confusing.  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:17:43 AM by Morgan Buchanan »
My now long gone VTX...

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:58:44 AM »

I have an HID in my 1800F.  The place I purchased it from has put together a unique wiring harness to accomadate the light.  I have never had a problem.  I work with the owner's brother.  Give them a call if you get stuck  Go to:

http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/

-Iceman

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:44:53 PM »

I'm almost never on here, but happened upon this thread.... I believe I had a CQlight kit on my FZ1. My balasts did make a bit of noise, but there was no mirror moving when switching from lo to hi beam. Just a high beam that might as well have been me holding a candle in my mouth as a light source. Are your ballasts blue? mine were. I don't remember too much else except the wiring was really straight forward and one of mine did die after about 4000 miles on that bike. the low beam was great, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal