Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 02` 1800s Poping out of 1st gear when starting off?  (Read 1933 times)

ssnake-oyl Rod

02` 1800s Poping out of 1st gear when starting off?
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »

I am not sure this is what is happening. It has happened twice on me. Its not on a hot start, but a more normal start. The bike kind of jumps and stops. It may be killing because I didn`t give it enough gas, or I didn`t have it all the way in gear. Has anyone else had this happen? What do you think? The first time it stalled and had to re-start. The last time it was running and I pulled the clutch in. It jumps hard and is hard to recover, almost dropped it. Rod

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: 02` 1800s Poping out of 1st gear when starting off?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »

How does the handle feel when pulling it in? soft? You may have air in the line, if it operates the same each time you let out the clutch. If you have good tension when pulling it in and if only now and then does it do this....then...how long have you been used to a hydraulic activated clutch lever?
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

ssnake-oyl Rod

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »

I bought the bike new in 03. Sometime when I put it in gear it won`t click/clunk in gear and I have to pull the clutch in another time and try again. I think that must be it. So the line has air? Is there an easy fix? Rod I guess I should pay closer attention when taking off.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »

It's an easy fix..  Just bleed the line.  The slave cylinder is located behind the chrome cover down below the engine on the left side.  See if you can borrow a mity-vac if you don't already have one.   O0

BTW, where are you located?  I didn't see it in your profile.

ssnake-oyl Rod

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »

Located in Rusk,Texas. I didn`t see on this forum where to put info. or Avatar. I learned about this forum from Dwayne," Huntington X " and Pamala his significant other. Rod

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

Rusk, Tx.... I used to call on a Doctor down there.  James Morris was his name.  Small world.   :)

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »

The hydraulic lines should be bled at least about every other year if your bike isn't totally garage kept...IE sits outside while you are at work, or unlucky like mine is, sits outside 24/7. Or if you ride in the rain much. Moisture gets into the lines and can turn your brake fluid into something resembling sp...eeerrrr, let's call it vaseline. It will gum up your master cylinder and or caliper's pistons. Best to get it done regularly. I had a cover on my bike once....it kept my lever pulled in...the system "leaked off" and wouldn't disengage the clutch enough to go into gear even. Had to bleed it then, just 'cause my cover fit too tight. :( It's been fine ever since though. ;D
     420! Yeah, baby!

ssnake-oyl Rod

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. I just got off the phone with the Honda shop service dept. They said it was part of the 8,000 mile check. I got to take the odometer off the trip so I know the actual milage ::)
Its prolly due. Rod

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »

8000 mile check? How many miles do you have on it total?
     420! Yeah, baby!

ssnake-oyl Rod

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »

Snake, I rode yesterday with some of my buds from Crockett and was paying alot of attention to the clutch. It did seem soft and at one point I had to pull it several times before the neutral light went out. I checked the mileage and it has 3,400 miles give or take a couple.  I have to get this fixed, don`t want to pull out and have it pop out again, could be hard on the paint and the skin!  :'( Thanks again for the help.
Rod

ssnake-oyl Rod

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:51 AM »

I had the clutch bled yesterday it seems to be shifting easier. It may have been simply going into neutral because my big toe moved it, as it is kind of close under the shift lever. Is the adjustment for the lever a spline, tooth adjustment? Has anyone else done it?
Thanks again. Rod :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal