Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hot final drive and hub.  (Read 2881 times)

Arch

• Old Timer
  • Tomball, TX
Hot final drive and hub.
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »

Tapper, maybe you can let me know or anyone on the board. Last night we had taken a short ride, less than an hour. Put the bike in the garage to cool down so I could clean it a little for a ride today. Went in about 2 hours later and was cleaning the rims and noticed that the center hub on the rear wheel was still pretty warm. Finished the ride today, about 75 miles, and checked the rear drive housing and the rear wheel hub. It was so hot you could not keep your fingers on it, and checked Becky's, which was warm but not near as hot. Any ideas? Is this normal? No leaks or lost fluid that has been noticed.

Ed 
We will remain the same until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Hot final drive and hub.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:38:26 PM »

Ed, did you check the fluid level? Was there moly paste applied the last time the rear wheel was removed?
02 1800C

Tapper

• Jakeleg
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:18:07 AM »

Check the flange bearing,and the two wheel bearings.  Betting the flange bearing is toast.
Yeah, that Tapper.

Arch

• Old Timer
  • Tomball, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »

Jim the fluid level is good, and I don,t know what type of grease was used when they changed the back tire.

Ed
We will remain the same until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change.

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »

arch pull off your rear wheel, and on the side that splines into the final drive you will see a bearing, put your finger in it and see if it spins freely, i'll bet it is frozen up or at least really rough, need then to replace these bearings, there are two or them stacked, need to check them before you ride again.
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

Arch

• Old Timer
  • Tomball, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »

Thanks for all the replies, this puppy is still under warranty, so it's going to the dealer to be checked.

Ed

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal