Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Pressure Monitor  (Read 1344 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Tire Pressure Monitor
« on: April 05, 2019, 06:48:56 AM »

I just bought some cheap tire pressure monitors on Amazon to see how they work. They are $39.99 minus a $15 coupon so $25 delivered to my door today.

I want to be able to check pressure quick without having to remove a bag or wash my hands after and there is an alarm that will come through my fairing speakers if the temps or pressure are outside of the parameters I set. 

The system is JDIAG FasTPMS TP808 and they go on like valve stem covers.  You sync them with an app on your phone and can read pressure, temp and battery level from the app. 

Anyone have anything like this?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Tire Pressure Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »

No.  I read  about a dozen reviews and I would advise against them unless you have steel valve stems.  I've read more than once that the weight of these was enough to start causing up to the point of straight up cracking the rubber valve stem causing a rapid loss of air. 

I can't confirm the validity of this but common sense tells me there might be some truth to this.  The only real good TPMS are the ones where the sensor is actually inside the rim. 

I'm going to get some for my 5th wheel but those tires since they inflate to 90 PSI have steel valve stems. 

"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »

No.  I read  about a dozen reviews and I would advise against them unless you have steel valve stems.  I've read more than once that the weight of these was enough to start causing up to the point of straight up cracking the rubber valve stem causing a rapid loss of air. 

I can't confirm the validity of this but common sense tells me there might be some truth to this.  The only real good TPMS are the ones where the sensor is actually inside the rim. 

I'm going to get some for my 5th wheel but those tires since they inflate to 90 PSI have steel valve stems.

Tomato, tamata.  How fast do you have to be going to break a valve stem? 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »

Gumbo had one split on the way to BBT year before last. left us stranded in some little burg called Three Rivers. When you get steel valve stems , make sure it is the type that the steel goes all the way to the rim. The ones that have a lot of rubber gasket between the stem and the wheel are notorious for splitting and can be a bit hard to find the leak. I have also heard that the stem mounted TPMS have a tendency to crack rubber valves. Good Luck.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »

I'll let you know if something happens.  I haven't see anything regarding what you are talking about and I have been looking. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »

I'll let you know if something happens.  I haven't see anything regarding what you are talking about and I have been looking.

I guess you'll know if the stem is starting to crack and losing pressure. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »

True.  The force on these are straight down and the sensors are really light so I don't see a problem.  On  a car, the force is sideways on the stem so would definitely have a different affect. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »

Not always, when out the front tire just went flat in a corner with no notice at all!!
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »

Not always, when out the front tire just went flat in a corner with no notice at all!!

So, your tire went flat  because of a tire pressure monitor mounted on the valve stem?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »

So, your tire went flat  because of a tire pressure monitor mounted on the valve stem?

I guess not. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal