Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a filler for a 3D metal skull  (Read 752 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Looking for a filler for a 3D metal skull
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »

I have a metal 3D skull that I want to put on my passenger floorboards using 3M double stick pad.  The issue is that the back is not solid, it's hollow in the shape of the skull with a few mold lines that would actually stick to the tape.  This won't work and pushing the double stick pad down into the hollow areas puts it too far down to be useful.  I was thinking about filling the back of the skull with resin or bondo but don't need a tub of bondo to do two 2" skulls.  Is there an epoxy that would work for this?  I need it to settle flat so that the double stick tape can be applied uniformly along the back of this thing. 

I know, strange request but I figured there were enough people who have had to fabricate something on this board it was worth a shot to put it out here. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: Looking for a filler for a 3D metal skull
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »

I just used some stuff to fill in some metal gaps in my trailer so my tail lights would fit better. Work it like putty but hardens like steel/plastic combo. Worked like a charm. Got it from Captain Dave. He used it on boats. called MarineTex. Don't know where to get it. Maybe online. I think JB Weld makes a simular product. Saw it at Ace Hardware.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Re: Looking for a filler for a 3D metal skull
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »

I just used some stuff to fill in some metal gaps in my trailer so my tail lights would fit better. Work it like putty but hardens like steel/plastic combo. Worked like a charm. Got it from Captain Dave. He used it on boats. called MarineTex. Don't know where to get it. Maybe online. I think JB Weld makes a simular product. Saw it at Ace Hardware.

I was thinking maybe JB weld as well.  I'll look up MarineTex.  Thanks!
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal