Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas tank  (Read 1117 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Gas tank
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:10 PM »

My son has had a 2004 1800C for several years and used to ride quite frequently.  His job took him overseas most of the year and the bike ended up just sitting in the garage.  He is home now and has decided to try and get it back up and running.  Rude awakening....his gas tank is full of rust.  From past stories I have heard from other riders, I get the impression that cleaning it out is a MAJOR PITA.  Is it worth trying and if so, what is the best way to achieve good results?  Another option is a replacement tank...if anyone has a lead on a tank for sale please let me know.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Gas tank
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »

I won't go in to deep on removal but once it is and all is removed.  plug holes. 

I used apple cider vinegar and filled it until it overflowed.  I let it sit for like 4-5 days.  The vinegar and oxidized metal (rust) react with each other it starts to dissolve it and remove it from the metal. 

once that has taken it's toll I flush it out with a water hose.  I literally put a water hose in it and let it run for like an hour

ONce the water flows with no rust flakes I drain it and pour about two bottles of rubbing alcohol.  This binds with water and allows faster evaporation but be careful it can flash rust if left too long............so for that I took a can of spray wd-40 and use a paper napkin to interrupt the direct spray.....basically you want to fog the tank with wd-40 spray. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »

I used muriatic acid to clean mine; it did a fantastic job and it takes less than an hour.  I should have fogged it like Paul did; I used phosphoric acid to coat it and it didn't work; the tank rusted up badly immediately.  I don't know if I diluted the phosphoric acid too much or what; I just know it didn't work.  I got the muriatic acid in the garden section at Home Depot; I don't recall the cost but it wasn't expensive.
02 1800C

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »

Thanks guys...I will pass on the info.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »

Be careful with the muriatic acid it will eat the metal if you use to strong a solution. I have been using muriatic acid for years to wash brick buildings. Something similar but not quite as costic is surekleen 600 or 700. It is more expensive than the muriatic but not as costic. You can buy the surekleen at most any masonry supply places.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal