Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PROBLEM  (Read 3496 times)

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
PROBLEM
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I am having an intermittent problem with my 03 1800c. It started a week or so ago. My FI light would pop on, the fuel pump would shut off, & then the bike would die. When you would try to restart it, the FI light would not come on when you turned the key on and the fuel pump wouldn't run. If you waited a few minutes, everything would start working again.
My battery was going bad, after 4-5 years of use, so I put a new one in the bike yesterday but my intermittent problem is still there. I do not have any fault codes stored in the ECM. It's really frustrating because you never know when or if it will act up. Anyone ever have this kind of problem?

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »

Check you ground cable.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »

Check you ground cable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have already taken care of the "Ground Fix" which includes the ground cable along with the ECM ground.
All battery connections are tight. I'm going to do some more checking with the fuel pump relay and the angle sensor tonight.
Guess it was a good thing that I didn't go to Big Bend. Wouldn't want to get down there & start having this kind of problem.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »

Check this link (http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/88370-Fuel-Pump-Relay)

Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the key?
I always use the key, never use the on-off switch, if you do use the on-off switch and don't hear the fuel pump, you might want to disassemble the switch and clean. Just a thought.

\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »

Check this link (http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/88370-Fuel-Pump-Relay)

Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the key?
I always use the key, never use the on-off switch, if you do use the on-off switch and don't hear the fuel pump, you might want to disassemble the switch and clean. Just a thought.

If the FI light comes on, the fuel pump runs. If it doesn't, then the pump doesn't. Something is shutting off the fuel pump relay. From looking at the wiring diagram, the 2 black w/ white wires are hot, the brown goes to the fuel pump and the other goes to the computer. It appears that the computer controls the ground for the relay, is this correct? If so, it appears that the computer is the only thing that could be doing it but I'm not forking out that kind of money that quickly!!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

Heading out with the wife tonight, I'll check digram and see what I can see. I'll post something in the morning :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »

did you clean up the oxidation on the ground cable when you changed the battery?

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »

:thu
Heading out with the wife tonight, I'll check digram and see what I can see. I'll post something in the morning :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »

did you clean up the oxidation on the ground cable when you changed the battery?

All grounds have been cleaned. This started before I changed the battery but I was having starting problems and the battery was at least 4-5 years old.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »

http://forums.bareasschoppers.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2403

check this out, fits your problem to a tee.
Anyone aroud that you could try there EMC.
Could be a broken wire in the insulation, making it very difficult to find, this link tells you every thing you need to know to troubshoot fuel pump issues.
If nothing else post up on bareasschoppers, you will get a responce.
Hope this link helps :thumbup:

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »

Could be a broken wire in the insulation, making it very difficult to find, this link tells you every thing you need to know to troubshoot fuel pump issues.

Was checking out this forum and came across a post with the same problem I am having. It said to check this main power plug under the left side cover. I think I may have found my problem!!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »

Great, hope you'll be rolling soon. Let us know if that is the fix :thumbup:

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »

Was checking out this forum and came across a post with the same problem I am having. It said to check this main power plug under the left side cover. I think I may have found my problem!!

Definitely looks like it would cause a problem.  Time for some new plugs.  I would go back with some of those weatherpack connectors. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »

:c :c ;D ;D

I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!  I replaced the burnt up plug this evening, had the bike running in the garage until the cooling fan kicked on, and then went and rode it for about 30 minutes and it didn't die once!!!!
I NOW KNOW HOW I'M GETTING TO WORK TOMORROW!!!!!!!

:bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider: :

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »

:congrats:good job. Was in Killeen this week saw a guy on a yellow 1800. Only the second yellow X i've ever seen. The other was at a dealership in Humble.
It's all just part of the adventure!
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal