Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fairing Stereo Instalation  (Read 2592 times)

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
Fairing Stereo Instalation
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

I started preparing my bike & fairing for the radio I ordered. 1st I took all of the power wires I had running up to the front of the bike to run each accessory off. Next, I took a 4 wire trailer plug and put it in some plastic wire loom and ran it from my aux fuse box all the way up to the front of the bike. I then popped a 1/2" hole in the lower left, back corner of my fairing and ran the other connector of the trailer plug through it. I then made 3 distribution blocks out of some spare wood, strip metal & sheet metal screws & super glued them to the inside of the fairing. I then hooked 3 of the trailer wires to each of the blocks. This way I have extra connections inside the fairing as I need them. Here is the break down on the wiring:

Green= + with key on
Yellow= Battery
White= Ground
Brown= + for driving lights

This should also make it easier to remove the fairing, if I ever need to!!  haha
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:49:20 PM by BobWd »

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Fairing Stereo Instalation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »

I started preparing my bike & fairing for the radio I ordered. 1st I took all of the power wires I had running up to the front of the bike to run each accessory off. Next, I took a 4 wire trailer plug and put it in some plastic wire loom and ran it from my aux fuse box all the way up to the front of the bike. I then popped a 1/2" hole in the lower left, back corner of my fairing and ran the other connector of the trailer plug through it. I then made 3 distribution blocks out of some spare wood, strip metal & sheet metal screws & super glued them to the inside of the fairing. I then hooked 3 of the trailer wires to each of the blocks. This way I have extra connections inside the fairing as I need them. Here is the break down on the wiring:

Green= + with key on
Yellow= Battery
White+ Ground
Brown= + for driving lights

This should also make it easier to remove the fairing, if I ever need to!!  haha

Thanks, really good info :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »

I would stuff that fairing with polyfill or find a way to add pods to those speakers.  I have heard of people wrapping the speaker and seemed to work as well.  They need to have some resistance to sound like they are designed to. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »

I added a 12v power supply and wired in the relay for my driving lights. Stereo should be here today so I will post more pics as I finish this project up.

DEMON

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »

I like the idea of using the trailer connector plug, I will definitely use something like that to wire mine.   

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »

excellent work!
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

:c :c :c :c :c :c :c :c :c :c

Thanks guys!!  I really appreciate the kind words. I have always tried to do things to the best of my ability. That is the way I approach almost everything I do. When I was turning wrenches for a living (26 years worth), I always tried to do a little something extra for the customer and not charge them for it. I guess that's why I had so many repeat customers. Even though this is my personal bike, I still approach working on it the same way. Cutting corners while working on any motor vehicle can get you hurt, or killed, but there is more of chance when you are on a motorcycle.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »

I now have the stereo installed. I tried to up load a video of it from my phone but I think it had the wrong file extension. Here are a couple of pics.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »

I am going to mount the 5 1/4 speakers I got with the stereo on my passenger backrest somehow so I made a speaker wire harness and ran it up to the front of the bike. I'm going to use another 4 wire trailer plug to connect the speaker harness to the fairing so all I have to do to remove the fairing would be to unplug the 2 plugs and take out the 4 bolts holding the fairing on.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »

I am going to mount the 5 1/4 speakers I got with the stereo on my passenger backrest somehow so I made a speaker wire harness and ran it up to the front of the bike. I'm going to use another 4 wire trailer plug to connect the speaker harness to the fairing so all I have to do to remove the fairing would be to unplug the 2 plugs and take out the 4 bolts holding the fairing on.

Ok it's official you are the stereo installer!
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »

Ok it's official you are the stereo installer!

Gumbo, You funny!!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »

Gumbo, I think you need to kidnap Bob for the Tech session!
It's all just part of the adventure!

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »

:cool2:
Depends on what you are covering!!   LOL

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »

Need to get me one of those date rape pills, wouldn't he just freak out if he woke up and my house :ohwow: ;D

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »

Need to get me one of those date rape pills, wouldn't he just freak out if he woke up and my house :ohwow: ;D

About as bad as Mrs. Gumbo would?  :popcorn:
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal